Make a donation

Author Topic: Mark O’T Reflex Silver MK5 GTI  (Read 28132 times)

Offline Martk19871

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 27
  • -Receive: 14
  • Va Va Voom
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,100145.msg983012.html#msg983012
Re: Mark O’T Reflex Silver MK5 GTI
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2016, 06:45:33 pm »
Quick update as it's been a while, next thing on the list is i'm picking up a genuine VW roof rack from someone local that is in mint condition, then need some AP, FK or Bilstein coilovers.

I picked up the Kenwood DNX head unit, 100x better sound and performance quality than the Xtrons one. The Xtrons had some cool features, but they just didn't perform well on the hardware, lesson learnt.

Last time I took the car into VW they said the front pads were 80% worn, they have been calling me since saying they need doing, rather do them myself  :P. I put some Brembo pads in.

Today I changed the wing mirror repeaters to smoked (excuse the dirty car), before and after shots

Also replaced the footwell lights with blue LEDs, wasn't sure if they would look "tat" but I actually quite like them, I will upgrade the other bulbs to white LEDs at some point

« Last Edit: January 24, 2016, 06:47:16 pm by Martk19871 »

Offline Deano45

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 16
    • Email
Coming along nice buddy..I do like the kenwood looks nice and neat in the dash... 

Offline lewisako

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 6
  • Stay Humble
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,93348.msg935576.html#msg935576
The car looks lovely mate good work. Where about did u get the smoked repeaters from out of curiosity? Got a link?

Offline airbagaaron

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 5
    • Email
Looks great, debating to change to smoked repeaters at the moment myself.

Offline Martk19871

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • Va Va Voom
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,100145.msg983012.html#msg983012
Thanks for the comments. Here are some photos after a serious car clean on Saturday as it was actually sunny for once, you can see the smoked repeaters better and I think they look great on Silver Golf’s.

The car looks lovely mate good work. Where about did u get the smoked repeaters from out of curiosity? Got a link?

I was looking for Depot ones that I read about on other threads but it seems they don’t exist anymore, so I bought these ones off ebay, overall pretty happy with them.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/351628275032?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Earlier I bought some H7 Yellow bulbs and some Yellow Plastikote stained glass spray (for the fogs) so I can achieve the look below. I was going to split the headlights to spray the reflector bowl yellow but the same look can be achieved with yellow bulbs that reflect yellow and is much less stress – A bit marmite, but I like it and it makes the front end a bit less boring.

I’ve also bought a De-wiper kit, I did this on my MK4 Golf, 50/50 if I’m going to do it or not  :rolleye:
« Last Edit: January 31, 2016, 09:23:08 pm by Martk19871 »

Offline Martk19871

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • Va Va Voom
    • Email
The yellow bulbs arrived from the U.S which I installed, during installation the retaining clip from the bulb came off which was a right pain and took about 30 mins to get back on, but I like the look of them. I'm a bit undecided on whether I should spray the fogs yellow, which I've photo-shopped in below:

I've had DSLR for the weekend so was hoping to wash the car and get some nice photos, the weather was miserable so the wash didn't happen but I headed to Henbury in Bristol and still managed to get some good photos I think...

I popped the BBS CH back on after a good waxing.

« Last Edit: February 22, 2016, 08:14:23 pm by Martk19871 »

Offline S800BRN

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 27
    • Email
Re: Mark O’T Reflex Silver MK5 GTI (new DSLR photos)
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2016, 08:51:32 am »
Nice subtle mods. Looks a good, clean example.

Offline gtavalanche

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2016, 09:32:59 pm »
What cleaner did you use on the Exhaust? It looks great.

Offline airbagaaron

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 5
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2016, 10:46:10 am »
Photo look great!  :happy2:

Offline Robna

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2016, 09:38:55 pm »

Yeh that! Mine need sorting out

Offline Martk19871

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • Va Va Voom
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: February 25, 2016, 08:10:37 pm »

Yeh that! Mine need sorting out

I used stainless steel cleaner spray and some fine wire wool with warm water on the tips, then used Brasso and polishing clothes to give them a shine. They dont stay clean for too long but look great when they stand out

Thanks for the comments! I've got to get my own DSLR as it's pretty fun getting photos at different locations.

Really want some R32 rear lights as payday is next week  :drinking:

Offline Martk19871

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • Va Va Voom
    • Email
Re: Mark O’T Reflex Silver MK5 GTI (a couple of new things)
« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2016, 08:00:34 pm »
I gave the car its first clay bar since I’ve owned it getting off all the crap which was really satisfying, I also gave it a full wax with G3 which I would recommend, very easy to apply and remove and left a good gloss finish that beads well :wink:

My girlfriend was getting fed up of looking at my Monzas strategically hidden with a towel :grin: so I bought some genuine VW wheel covers. VW Bath is selling them on ebay for £24 which is a good price having looked for some before, they usually retail for more.

The covers are much better quality than previous covers I’ve owned and you can roll them out flat wrapping them around the wheel and securing with Velcro.

Picked up a genuine roof rack which is mint condition and will come in handy for summer, I test fitted them and never realised how noisy they are when on the motorway!

Been playing around with the Kenwood head unit, it had a crappy background image and poor resolution VW logo when it started up so I’ve uploaded new ones. 

My bank holiday fun is to change the Cam follower and do oil change as I’ve been doing a lot of miles lately and done 5000+ since the last.

Offline Martk19871

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • Va Va Voom
    • Email
Re: Mark O’T Reflex Silver MK5 GTI (a few new things)
« Reply #27 on: March 28, 2016, 07:51:05 pm »
This weekend I drove to Derby to pick up an Eddy30 bumper in Reflex Silver from @exodus_ste  these dont come up often in Reflex Silver so had to get on it. Thanks again for coming into Derby to make the journey less stress  :happy2:

I bought some pressed plates and number plate surround for the bumper, still yet to fit the front. I used super strength velcro for the number plate.

I was going to do an oil change and try autosol on the exhaust tips, but the bumper took a LOT longer than expected so they are for another day. Two screws sheared and some were really ceased, I had to jack the car up on both sides to get better access. Also as I have after market parking sensors I had to use a stepped drill bit and measure out new holes.

Old vs new

Much better  :drool:

Colour coded skirts or new rear light next?!?

I had new led number plate lights to fit, but the prongs are too big to fit in the VW connector! This is the second set i've bought i've had issues with, think I will give up on them now.

Thanks for looking.

Offline S800BRN

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 27
    • Email
Re: Mark O’T Reflex Silver MK5 GTI (ED30 Bumper fitted)
« Reply #28 on: March 28, 2016, 09:42:59 pm »
Ed30/R32 rear lights next - or even better a set of Valeo LEDs...
Bumper looks good, btw!

Offline Martk19871

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • Va Va Voom
    • Email
Re: Mark O’T Reflex Silver MK5 GTI (ED30 Bumper fitted)
« Reply #29 on: March 28, 2016, 10:38:09 pm »
Ed30/R32 rear lights next - or even better a set of Valeo LEDs...
Bumper looks good, btw!

Cheers man  :happy2:

God knows why VW didnt colour code the GTI bumpers, actually, I do, money!

I quite like the mk6 styled rear lights, but I will likely go with the Ed30/R32 lights

« Last Edit: March 28, 2016, 11:06:57 pm by Martk19871 »