Make a donation

Author Topic: Golf mk5 gti 2005 engine code AXX Low oil pressure light cam on last night !  (Read 17829 times)

Offline thomasdob12

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 0
Hi folks recently ive been having nothjng but problems with my 2005 mk5 golf gti . The car was running great for the best part of 3 months it has been remapped ,  last month i was driving home i put my foot down and the red can low oil pressure light ( stop ) came on so i stopped the car checked the oil it was full so i had it recovered . I did some research and found out it maybe the oil pick up so i took sump off cleaned it got all the sludge out , then cleaned the oil pick up pipe both were gunked up but after i cleaned them they were near imaculate . Put it all back together put fresh put fresh oil in fired car up , no light drove the car and was now having another issue  when i get in it on a morning start it drives.spot on full of power then it suddenly looses the power and pull like a 1.0  .  Took it in for a scan code read( P0234 Limit exceeded over boost condition ) which i was.told could be the veins in the turbo. So off i go drive 20 miles or so and boom low oil pressure stop comes back on . To clarify there was.no rough noises ive stopped the car straight away on both occasions and oil level has.been spot on .  Its.really starting to piss me off if.anyone can shed some light on it for me i would be very greatful. My mods are stage 1 remap , K&N pipe cross pannel filter , Forge Pvc delete , revision D dirverter valve . Cars been serviced 6k miles ago by myself.

Offline thomasdob12

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
Just to note as i mentioned the car pulling like a 1.0 when it looses power you can turn the egnition off abd back on and the powers back to normal it happens intermitantly

Offline Dan_FR

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 132
  • -Receive: 189
  • wait...what?
    • Email
What map? Map could well be the cause - wouldn't be the first time. Whoever told you it could be the vanes needs shooting - Thats a diesel thing!!!

Low oil pressure again is not good though since you've cleaned the pickup. Oil pump would be my guess if the pickup is still clean and gunk free
TFSI... Revo Stage 2+... . WMI.... VCDS HEX + CAN, MPPS, VAG Commander & VAG tacho - South Wales

Offline thomasdob12

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
Right how would i  tell if my pump has failed ? Sorry for the rookie questions but im not a mechanic.  Ill check the sump and pick up again today what oil would you recommend .

Offline CarlW

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 14
  • -Receive: 23
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,92229.msg927100.html#msg927100
I'd be prepared for an oil pump also as its not cheap thats for sure..
I've had exactly the same issue as you around 6 - 8 weeks ago.. although once i did the oil pickup pipe i haven't had the oil pressure light back on and it has actually been okay but today i have found that the oil pressure is lower than it should be and i may also be in the same boat i.e needing a new oil pump.
On the other hand.. IF the oil pump is your issue i have also found out that there is a much cheaper option being the 1.8T oil pump which is larger, lighter and apparently better and more reliable..

First up though i would be checking the map as mentioned above. Then once that is in the clear you can then look further into the oil pump or maybe something else that could be causing the oil pressure light to come on..

Correct me if I'm wrong but could the head gasket not have something to do with this? May be warped or something like that? I don't know hence why i ask but maybe someone with more knowledge could take that out the equation
« Last Edit: September 09, 2015, 02:43:36 pm by CarlW »

Offline thomasdob12

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
HOLY ! THERE LIKE £600  IS THE 1.8T Pump a direct fit ? Has anyone on here used and run the car with a 1.8t pump with no problems . Cheers for info Carl

Offline dazza

• Admin
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 90
  • -Receive: 190
  • Coding Boffin
    • Email
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=7gq79oufm41mf6msujulgi2o36&/topic,90967.msg917089.html#msg917089
Any one have a link to an oil pump DIY? I'd be interested to see whats involved.

05 | Tornado Red | DSG

Offline CarlW

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,92229.msg927100.html#msg927100
Some further information..

The balance shafts in the 2.0T FSI engine are prone to failure. Replacing them can cost upwards of $1800. The USP oil pump conversion will eliminate your factory balance shaft and oil pump assembly and replace it with the larger 1.8T oil pump. The 1.8T oil pump offers several benefits including less weight than the OEM FSI pump, eliminates the factory balance shafts, and increases the oil capacity of the motor. The factory oil pump/balance shaft assembly is bulky, by removing it and replacing it with the 1.8T pump the factory oil pan's capacity increases to about 6 quarts of oil.

Includes:

- Oil Pump
- Oil pickup tube
- Oil pump chain
- Oil pump tensioner
- Oil pump bolts
- Oil pan baffle
- Crankshaft gear

Offline CarlW

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
Here's more info on fitting instructions

http://www.uspmotorsports.com/downloads/USPFSIOPK.pdf
« Last Edit: September 09, 2015, 11:53:11 pm by CarlW »

Offline thomasdob12

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
Thankyou for all your help its much appricated im going to take the sump off today a friend had the same problem his was the cam tension was worn and the plastic bits got stuck or somthing like that could this make sense ?

Offline dazza

• Admin
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 90
  • -Receive: 190
  • Coding Boffin
    • Email
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=7gq79oufm41mf6msujulgi2o36&/topic,90967.msg917089.html#msg917089
I don't think i would drop the sump again. Unless you think you may have added to much sealant which is clogging the pipe again.

The tensioner is a known weak point on the AXX but if it was badly worn you would know about it.

05 | Tornado Red | DSG

Offline GTi-Tecnix

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
Had the same issue. Had mine recently mapped and the STOP🛑 Oil Pressure flags up on dash advising - “engine off” & “check Manual”
Been told it could be oil pump, sensor, oil switch, fuse. Could be a simple fix like An electrical fault?
The car couldn’t take the pressure with the additional boost I think and somethings got to give right?
I stopped and checked oil. Was on the ‘Max’ Mark. Switched off engine for ten mins and nothing and put foot down and still flagged up again  :scared:
Being 60 miles from home.. I did not want to chance it so stopped again. The car starts up again and The warning sign the is cleared. Drive home 60mph thereabouts and no flag so far! Has to be the pressure configurations going doolally! Going to check back in morning see if the warning flags up again. And check the least expensive probable cause first, then the major issues that could’ve caused it.
The joys of remapping hey  :grin:
I also notice a lot of electrical issues when remapped car, bulbs going and xenon lights flickering and one light brighter than other.. so could well be an electrical fault with the oil pressure like my Mechanic stated on phone i.e. sensor, bulb.
Praise and Thanks to God that I was able to drive home.
BTW No noises can be heard knocking in engine.
Don’t blame the map pleeease.. :happy2:
« Last Edit: December 17, 2017, 05:24:43 am by GTi-Tecnix »
Rapid Acceleration on a Slippery surface
Sounds like a MK5 GTI 💥👊🏽💯

Offline GTi-Tecnix

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
For added measure. Legend Scotty Kilmer in this video explain some cheap fix, possible issues:
<a href="https://youtu.be/DpBOxYQtVM8" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://youtu.be/DpBOxYQtVM8</a>

Doesn’t always have to be an expensive issue  :happy2:

Offline GTi-Tecnix

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
What map? Map could well be the cause - wouldn't be the first time. Whoever told you it could be the vanes needs shooting - Thats a diesel thing!!!

Low oil pressure again is not good though since you've cleaned the pickup. Oil pump would be my guess if the pickup is still clean and gunk free
er, could be just a oil pressure switch der  :signLOL:

Offline teo_parvu

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 30
  • -Receive: 57
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,96115.msg955433.html#new
If it turns out to be the oil pump I’d advise to go for the 1.8T one. I’ve done the conversion 1 year ago with balance shaft delete. Absolutely no issues.