Make a donation

Author Topic: The Wifey-Mobile: The GTi She Didn't Want...  (Read 29154 times)

Offline lukemk5gti

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 28
  • -Receive: 118
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,89715.msg907250.html#msg907250
Re: The Wifey-Mobile: The GTi She Didn't Want...
« Reply #30 on: January 12, 2016, 09:08:19 am »
I like the apple car play! How much and who installed?

Cheers, so do I! I wish I got the same unit for my other car. I got a more expensive pioneer unit (AVH-X8700BT) but needn't have bothered, the SPH-DA120 does everything I need. I think it looks better too.

I got it installed by Safensound in Thornton Heath, chap called David. I highly recommend him; very diligent, wants to do a good job, and reasonable prices.

He did me a good deal on the headunit itself as a one-off, as I've had a few things done by him. On top of the unit cost, he charged me £69 for the fascia, steering control module and aerial booster + £49 installation.

I'm actually from Dublin so I'll probably get it done in halfords. So if you had a choice again and both the AVH-X8700BT and the SPH-DA120 cost the same what would you go for?

My only issue here is that Halfords won't be able to supply a fascia, control module and aerial booster... I doubt you have much info on these parts do you?

Offline FJ1000

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 48
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,101205.0.html
« Reply #31 on: January 12, 2016, 09:38:39 am »

Cheers, so do I! I wish I got the same unit for my other car. I got a more expensive pioneer unit (AVH-X8700BT) but needn't have bothered, the SPH-DA120 does everything I need. I think it looks better too.

I got it installed by Safensound in Thornton Heath, chap called David. I highly recommend him; very diligent, wants to do a good job, and reasonable prices.

He did me a good deal on the headunit itself as a one-off, as I've had a few things done by him. On top of the unit cost, he charged me £69 for the fascia, steering control module and aerial booster + £49 installation.

I'm actually from Dublin so I'll probably get it done in halfords. So if you had a choice again and both the AVH-X8700BT and the SPH-DA120 cost the same what would you go for?

My only issue here is that Halfords won't be able to supply a fascia, control module and aerial booster... I doubt you have much info on these parts do you?

Ha, yeah that might be a problem.

The Fascia etc. all came from connects2 - If you have a look on their website, all the parts you need should be there.

The SPH-DA120 is a smaller screeen, and doesn't have android auto. Those are really the only drawbacks that were relevant to me when I was deciding on a headunit a few months back when I upgraded my RS4. After deciding on the AVH-X8700BT, I didn't get on with android auto when I did try it, and ended up switching my phone to an iphone anyway! There are other differences in spec, but they weren't things that concerned me; no CD player on the SPH-DA120, or USB input, or capability to add pioneer navigation.

If you have an iphone, I'd get the cheaper model. It looks better in the dashboard anyway, cleaner lines and doesn't protrude.

2007 Golf Gti DSG | Leather Wingbacks | Xenons | VWR Springs | Tinted Windows | 18" Audi Speedlines |

Offline lukemk5gti

• Thank You
  • -Given: 28
  • -Receive: 118
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,89715.msg907250.html#msg907250
« Reply #32 on: January 12, 2016, 03:56:55 pm »

Ha, yeah that might be a problem.

The Fascia etc. all came from connects2 - If you have a look on their website, all the parts you need should be there.

The SPH-DA120 is a smaller screeen, and doesn't have android auto. Those are really the only drawbacks that were relevant to me when I was deciding on a headunit a few months back when I upgraded my RS4. After deciding on the AVH-X8700BT, I didn't get on with android auto when I did try it, and ended up switching my phone to an iphone anyway! There are other differences in spec, but they weren't things that concerned me; no CD player on the SPH-DA120, or USB input, or capability to add pioneer navigation.

If you have an iphone, I'd get the cheaper model. It looks better in the dashboard anyway, cleaner lines and doesn't protrude.

So just had a run down to Halfords (should be working but I have a fast car  :signLOL:) and the guy at the counter for the first time ever impressed me! He knew every single part required from your list without me saying a word. He then wrote down all of the serial numbers etc. and it turns out Halfords can supply it all.

Breakdown:
Harness PC2-754 €10
Aerial Adaptor PC5-136 €13
Aerial Adaptor Connection €6.5
Fascia DFP-703 €25
Unit €399 (It was 20% off at xmas  :fighting:)
Fitting is only €35

All in €488 or £368. That seem right to you even though your stereo was possibly a bit cheaper?

Offline FJ1000

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: January 12, 2016, 05:20:01 pm »
Yeah that seems a fair price, very close to what I paid actually.

Did they say where they would run the USB cables for the phone connection?

Have you tried any car audio installers for a price?

2007 Golf Gti DSG | Leather Wingbacks | Xenons | VWR Springs | Tinted Windows | 18" Audi Speedlines |

Offline FJ1000

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: April 23, 2016, 08:34:15 pm »
New private reg for the Mrs (birthday June 12th, and name is Sofia)

Also gave it a wash and a couple of coats of jetseal - great stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline FJ1000

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: October 29, 2016, 02:49:31 am »
6 months since an update!

It was mostly uneventful till a couple of weeks ago (apart from some maintenance stuff, inc new shocks all round, and top mounts).

Then, after I resigned from my old job, and had some time on my hands before starting at the new place, I started looking for things to do....

So in the last couple of weeks, the car has had the following bits done:

- Nearly new 18" BBS CH-R, on new GY Eagle F1 tyres
- Revo induction kit
- Genuine R32 rear
- BCS turbo back exhaust (sport non-powervalve, 100 cel cat, black tips).
- Votex front splitter
- Open fog grilles

I owe most of those bits to @GTIRichard - thanks very much mate!

Pleased with the way the car looks now.

Next up; brakes! Got my eye on some brembo 18z calipers, with 350mm discs.

Offline golfmck1980

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 8
« Reply #36 on: October 29, 2016, 07:51:12 am »
Awesome looking with the bbs  :notworthy:
Edition 30 num 859

Offline prp74

• Thank You
  • -Given: 37
  • -Receive: 126
« Reply #37 on: October 29, 2016, 09:07:45 am »
Looks stunning mate  :congrats:

Nice touches. Love the BBS.
mk5 Graphite Blue GTI - Leathers, Xenons, MFD2, PDC, Boot Pop - SOLD
mk7 Pure White GTI - Performance Pack, Xenons, DSG, Leathers, Pro Nav, Dynaudio, Self Park, Keyless, 18" OZ Ultraleggera

Offline Kai96

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 23
  • -Receive: 17
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: October 29, 2016, 12:09:08 pm »
Stunning looking car, looks like a different beast now. That's whats up next for me as well some new tyres and alloy's and I'll be happy

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 392
  • -Receive: 316
« Reply #39 on: October 29, 2016, 12:30:18 pm »
I'm a big fan of CH-R. Think I'd go for silver as my car's red, but those suit your car nicely. Very stealthy and moody looking!

Offline bonelorry

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 72
  • -Receive: 44
    • Email
« Reply #40 on: October 29, 2016, 12:40:45 pm »
 :congrats:

Really do like the look of that, I have to swear at you though  :grin: After seeing that car in 5-Door, Black and with Anthracite BBS CH-R's I am now 50/50 split on going for Silver BBS VZ's OR Satin Anthracite BBS VZ'S on my Diamond Black Pearl Edition 30  :thinking:

It looks so right in that Colour combination!

Ahhhhhhhh  :confused:

Offline FJ1000

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #41 on: October 29, 2016, 01:20:04 pm »
Thanks guys!

With regards to silver or grey wheels on a black car; I like both, and have done both. In terms of my current preference though, I think pics of the other car answer that question:

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 392
  • -Receive: 316
« Reply #42 on: October 29, 2016, 03:57:27 pm »
Lovely RS4 that. I see the blacked-out theme has continued with the GTI.

Offline Dave J

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 45
  • -Receive: 63
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,55935.0.html
« Reply #43 on: October 29, 2016, 05:32:30 pm »
That's a great update - the GTI is looking really good. Love the BBS CH-R's - stunning looking wheels!

Edition 30 - no. 1387

Offline Masonfantana

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 3
« Reply #44 on: October 30, 2016, 08:10:10 am »
Both cars look amazing