Author Topic: th3_f15t '12 Golf R (Viki)  (Read 33157 times)

Offline Kai96

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 22
  • -Receive: 22
    • Email
Re: th3_f15t '12 Golf R (Viki)
« Reply #240 on: November 29, 2016, 09:04:08 PM »
Those alloys  :congrats:

Offline th3_f15t

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 69
  • -Receive: 192
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=go493e3t3pb25dq74l8pm4tq97&/topic,101525.0.html
« Reply #241 on: November 30, 2016, 05:01:17 PM »
Great choice! Will look great when fitted. Are you keeping them bright silver?

Yeah, moving away from the black wheels. I'm keeping my Team Dynamics though as they will be my track day wheels. Going to get the refurbished at some point, smoothed off and painted a gunmetal grey and fitted with semi-slick tyres. Because race car...

Moving over to Flickr, sorry for the broken picture links!

Offline barelyrelevant

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 5
« Reply #242 on: December 05, 2016, 08:33:55 PM »
How did the springs settle? Got any up to date photos  :smiley:

Offline th3_f15t

• Thank You
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=go493e3t3pb25dq74l8pm4tq97&/topic,101525.0.html
« Reply #243 on: December 07, 2016, 09:05:37 PM »
How did the springs settle? Got any up to date photos  :smiley:

Not taken any yet, despite putting over 150 miles on them she's not lowered too much, which actually is ideal for me as I don't want to drop anymore than 10mm ideally. I'll update some pictures over Christmas hopefully with the new wheels fitted as well. All I can confirm now though is the feel of the car, the handling is so much better with the springs. I was confident enough before but now it's on another level, to the point I don't think I want to fit the front anti roll bar as it may upset the balance.

Offline Shoduchi

• Thank You
  • -Given: 175
  • -Receive: 435
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=go493e3t3pb25dq74l8pm4tq97&/topic,95592.msg952042.html
« Reply #244 on: December 07, 2016, 09:31:55 PM »
Now we both have the same sets of wheels, same brake setup, same springs! :love: I think you'll also like new dampers. Bilstein B8 should be better than your stock. I like my H&R ARB 26/22 mm, set to soft front and hard rear but I might in the future try fitting a 24 mm RARB so I can put my front in hard and the bigger rear in hard as well. Just thoughts I have about my suspension setup.  I like it for daily driving and I can't complain but always wonder if I can improve it. :laugh:

Offline th3_f15t

• Thank You
« Reply #245 on: December 08, 2016, 07:30:15 PM »
I think you'll also like new dampers. Bilstein B8 should be better than your stock.

I'm keeping the OE dampers for now as I like having the adjustability of the ride comfort. I've spoken to a few suspension companies and I know of one who are potentially looking to develop a replacement OE damper for mk6 Golfs with DCC but whether they do is yet to be seen. In all honesty, I'm now looking very seriously at the wide track conversion which would mean running different anti roll bars anyway so I've lost the motivation to fit the front for now!

Also trying to come up with a solution for getting the rear arches extended, it's a bit of a pain having a 5 door in that respect. I've got SRS-Tec front wings to go on, but I want to extend the rears by 30mm to match the fronts. Anyone got a solution that looks neat, I want to avoid the "bolt-on" look?

Offline Gti_Mad

• Thank You
  • -Given: 12
  • -Receive: 38
« Reply #246 on: December 08, 2016, 09:21:57 PM »
I think you'll also like new dampers. Bilstein B8 should be better than your stock.

I'm keeping the OE dampers for now as I like having the adjustability of the ride comfort. I've spoken to a few suspension companies and I know of one who are potentially looking to develop a replacement OE damper for mk6 Golfs with DCC but whether they do is yet to be seen. In all honesty, I'm now looking very seriously at the wide track conversion which would mean running different anti roll bars anyway so I've lost the motivation to fit the front for now!

Also trying to come up with a solution for getting the rear arches extended, it's a bit of a pain having a 5 door in that respect. I've got SRS-Tec front wings to go on, but I want to extend the rears by 30mm to match the fronts. Anyone got a solution that looks neat, I want to avoid the "bolt-on" look?

I'm currently going through the same thoughts regarding widening the rear as I also have ats-tec wide front wings waitin to go on  :signLOL:

Had the ED30, but not got the balls.

Mk5 silver 5door Ed30 1707- now sold
Mk6 silver 3door Golf R- current

Offline Shoduchi

• Thank You
  • -Given: 175
  • -Receive: 435
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=go493e3t3pb25dq74l8pm4tq97&/topic,95592.msg952042.html
« Reply #247 on: December 08, 2016, 09:34:21 PM »

I see, sounds like a good plan.  :happy2:

I guess you can look for a good bodywork shop to extend your rear neatly. I've seen some great builds with hand made bodywork extension to allow air suspension lowering with wide wheels.

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 419
  • -Receive: 345
« Reply #248 on: December 08, 2016, 09:35:11 PM »
Wide track on a mk6 R? I wouldn't mind wide track (in order to squeeze 245s or 255s in) but then I'm fwd so I need all the footprint I can get.

What's to be gained on top of the existing benefits of 4wd? More rotation? Turn in?

Offline th3_f15t

• Thank You
« Reply #249 on: December 08, 2016, 10:01:31 PM »
Wide track on a mk6 R? I wouldn't mind wide track (in order to squeeze 245s or 255s in) but then I'm fwd so I need all the footprint I can get.

What's to be gained on top of the existing benefits of 4wd? More rotation? Turn in?

Mostly it involves fitting mk2 TT running gear (wishbones, drive shafts etc.) in order to gain about 20mm each side and also saves a bit of weight. Main reasons for it is looks but also the basic principle of lowering the centre of gravity (via springs which hasn't exactly made a huge difference in my case) and widening the wheel base all adds to improving the handling. I think you can run the Audi steering rack for better steering response but the difference on paper is only a small amount in terms of ratios so probably not worth bothering with.

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #250 on: December 08, 2016, 10:06:40 PM »

Mostly it involves fitting mk2 TT running gear (wishbones, drive shafts etc.) in order to gain about 20mm each side and also saves a bit of weight. Main reasons for it is looks but also the basic principle of lowering the centre of gravity (via springs which hasn't exactly made a huge difference in my case) and widening the wheel base all adds to improving the handling. I think you can run the Audi steering rack for better steering response but the difference on paper is only a small amount in terms of ratios so probably not worth bothering with.
I'd love to see this done well. Like you say, it's the rear arches that are the problem. I haven't seen any that aren't of the 'obviously stuck on' variety. In fact I'm not sure just how possible it'd be, short of some major fabrication and welding. I remember on the old b3 and b4 Audi platform you could weld on arches off an Audi 100 (I think) that gave you an extra 30-40mm and didn't look out of place. That kind of approach might give you the best chance of an oem-looking result, but it'd be a hell of a job!

Offline th3_f15t

• Thank You
« Reply #251 on: December 08, 2016, 11:45:46 PM »
I'd be giving the car over to a professional body shop to do that kind of work to be honest, I'm pretty sure something can be done that'll blend into the original lines of the car well enough. I plan to build up the parts required for the wide track and add upgrades where possible like SuperPro bushes and the likes. Get as much built up on the bench so it's a quick swap over onto the car.

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #252 on: December 10, 2016, 11:33:46 AM »
I'd be giving the car over to a professional body shop to do that kind of work to be honest, I'm pretty sure something can be done that'll blend into the original lines of the car well enough. I plan to build up the parts required for the wide track and add upgrades where possible like SuperPro bushes and the likes. Get as much built up on the bench so it's a quick swap over onto the car.
I'll be keeping my eye on this, it could turn into an interesting little project!

Offline th3_f15t

• Thank You
« Reply #253 on: January 03, 2017, 09:45:37 PM »
Trial fit of the new wheels:

Fit like a dream, clear the brakes up front and don't sit wider than my TD's on 10mm spacers so all is good. Unfortunately, the bolts that were provided are too short for the ET35 offset so I'll be ordering up some longer bolts then off to the tyre shop to have the tyres from my TD's swapped over. Also got round to fitting the DAB aerial for my Kenwood stereo:

I did have a GPS antenna too but because I bought a VW fitment one, it doesn't fit the Kenwood so need to buy another one. Also plan on wiring up the hands free microphone next time, as well as a dash camera too, will likely pull the A-pillar trim and part of the roof lining out to do a proper permanent job of running cables.

Progress will be slow now as I'm focusing efforts on my mk2 Golf Driver and another little project I've recently picked up, more on that soon...

Offline th3_f15t

• Thank You
« Reply #254 on: March 14, 2017, 09:45:44 PM »
I recently changed over the spring inside my Forge diverter valve to see if it eliminated the flutter noise when I let off the throttle while on boost. While it didn't really solve that issue, it did have some other positive effects. Firstly, the car pulls so much better now from low RPM and seems to have a much better torque curve. Second boost is in economy, at first I thought it was a one off but I'm now able to hit 40mpg or higher when sat on the motorway at 65mph. More work needs to be done to see what exactly is behind this but I'm mega pleased as it's so much nicer to drive the car and it was simple a 10 minute job to do. No more being lazy for me!

Going to do a cambelt change and oil service very soon as I'm just about to hit 50,000 miles and 5 years old, so doing it now as not taking the risks with a tuned engine. Got a 50% discount code with GSF over the weekend so bought a new cambelt kit, water pump, oil and oil filter and planning on getting the new guy who moved into the workshop to help me out. All I'll say about him is he runs in the VWDRC in a 800bhp car. He knows his stuff and is proper cool, so likely will be using his knowledge and skills over the coming months and years for my own plans.

Speaking of which, ages ago I mentioned I bought a HPA Motorsport inlet manifold but never actually took a picture of it. And an update isn't any good if it's just text, so here it is (nearly 6 months later after being dug out of a pile or parts):

Enjoy!