Author Topic: th3_f15t '12 Golf R (Viki)  (Read 47057 times)

Offline th3_f15t

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 73
  • -Receive: 195
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=k0adlm84j52jm58q79a9i45o96&/topic,101525.0.html
Re: th3_f15t '12 Golf R (Viki)
« Reply #270 on: March 24, 2018, 10:20:30 AM »
Well, while trying to work out which ABS sensor has failed, I broke the securing tab on the rear left! Seeing as this is a common thing to have to a lot of people, here's a useful little video on how to repair them:

Will be getting a new ABS connector and re-wiring it in, saves cutting wires up and having to solder things, which given that this is a major safety system, no bodge repairs here! Here's how you're supposed to get them off:

« Last Edit: March 24, 2018, 10:25:32 AM by th3_f15t »

Moving over to Flickr, sorry for the broken picture links!

Offline th3_f15t

• Thank You
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=k0adlm84j52jm58q79a9i45o96&/topic,101525.0.html
« Reply #271 on: April 08, 2018, 10:49:44 AM »
Been chasing an electrical system fault for a while now, been driving me crazy. First symptoms were multiple ABS, stability and traction control, brake sensor and airbag warning lights flashing on the display as well as the display needles dropping to 0 while running for a second or two at random intervals. When the car is in this state, most of the modules refuse to communicate with my diagnostic kit correctly, when I do get to clear off codes there's no fixed time or pattern of events that transpire before it starts all over again. Started by checking all my ABS, DDC and Haldex connections, while doing it I decided to scrub the front wheels up:

More recently I've been getting persistent airbag faults complaining of low voltage to the system and more errors talking of limited functionality due to communication issues. Decided to take the battery out and recondition it as it's still the original unit, now 6 years old and survived several cold winters, this year's being particularly difficult. It drew full charge from the charger for a lot longer than I was expecting but refitting it later today to see if anything resolves itself. Now eyeing up a Bosch S5 battery to go in.

Also, people may of noticed I recently put the car up for sale but it's no longer available as I managed to get my hands on this kit:

TTE420 turbocharger, next manifold gaskets, N75 valve, studs and tools for fitting the injectors correctly. Combined with my RS3 LPFP and injectors, HPA Motorsport inlet manifold and a planned exhaust swap should make for a good specification list. Will have to wait till I've firstly finished off the mk2 Golf GTI restoration (which is close now) and next a home move due to work and lifestyle changes.

Further plans include getting the mk6 Golf seat wiring looms for my wingback so I can connect them up to the original cars heating wiring so I can get that feature working again as I'm growing bored of having what feels like a half-assed job of an interior upgrade. I did also finally unlock the rear middle seat belt and got two new seat winders for the fronts as I broke the driver's side while removing it to check the part number. Still not ruling out the possibility of parting with the front seats to make way for Cobras, so if anyone does want the front alone, no P/X, drop me a message with a cash offer and see where we go from there. It's a loose sale as I'm far from unhappy with the seats, they're still amazingly comfortable and look good as new but a set of Cobra Misano wouldn't be sniffed at.

Offline th3_f15t

• Thank You
« Reply #272 on: October 21, 2018, 04:26:57 PM »
So... After failing the MOT on emissions earlier this year I've neglected her completely. Until now... Things are happening.

Offline th3_f15t

• Thank You
« Reply #273 on: October 23, 2018, 07:49:15 PM »
Got me a Trackslag 3.5" downpipe with a silencer:

The only problem with it at the moment, if you haven't spotted it, is it's a de-cat system so I'm getting a sports cat welded in so I can safely use it on the road legally. Also got a turbo discharge kit:

Need to get a 175 bar fuel pressure return valve now then that's everything needed to get the engine sorted. Going to go to TSR Performance for my mapping as they're just over an hour from me so my most local tuner. Plus I've seen their work so know I'm in safe, tried-and-tested hands.

May even give the car a wash this weekend...

Offline Pudding

• Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 401
« Reply #274 on: November 02, 2018, 11:56:32 AM »
Nice bit of pipe fisting there  :happy2:   I thought that turbo would have been fitted by now, chop chop  :grin:
Black Edition 30 with manually selected cogs, a beefier clutch, some extra boost and them Whiteline thingies, otherwise standard.

Offline th3_f15t

• Thank You
« Reply #275 on: November 03, 2018, 11:41:35 AM »
Nice bit of pipe fisting there  :happy2:   I thought that turbo would have been fitted by now, chop chop  :grin:

Here are my excuses:

Mk2 Golf GTI work
Mk2 Scirocco work
Actual work
Cold weather
Money
Girlfriend's 1986 Polo Coupe S
Girlfriend's Seat Arosa daily/project
Dog

That adequate enough? :P

Offline Pudding

• Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 401
« Reply #276 on: November 07, 2018, 01:56:06 PM »
A fine selection of excuses sir  :happy2:
Black Edition 30 with manually selected cogs, a beefier clutch, some extra boost and them Whiteline thingies, otherwise standard.