Make a donation

Author Topic: Bluewaffle Octavia vRS MKII Track!  (Read 20541 times)

Offline Turbobell

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
Bluewaffle Octavia vRS MKII Track!
« on: November 01, 2015, 05:51:40 pm »
Thought I would share my build thread with you alll.... It starts way back in Jan 13, bare with it....

So... Was having a casual snoop on eBay as I wanted to get another vRS after missing my MK1 Fabia... Thanks to the loins' productivity we are now a +1 couple. An Octavia was the only genuine option. I am immensely tight and half capable on the spanners so I wanted a broken one! Annnd 1 night I found one

After 7 days of watching my eBay account I won.

Got the car home on a trailer and the morning after I got some pics...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: November 02, 2015, 12:53:54 pm by Turbobell »

Offline Turbobell

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
Re: Bluewaffle Octavia vRS MKII Track!
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2015, 05:55:02 pm »

Offline Turbobell

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2015, 05:59:21 pm »
So... First things first, I got the battery charged up and checked for faults...

3 codes were present relating to inlet cam timing... 1 for fuel pump pressure...

These were cleared and I flicked the key... The classic noise of lack of compression filled the garage

In preperation for the typical worst case scenario, I grabbed every guide I could from Elsa-pro and started taking bits off.

Offline Turbobell

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2015, 06:02:17 pm »
When chatting to a good friend of mine about the car, he remembered he had a 'spare' BWA head lying around.. took the head home with me with a few spare bits like the fuel pump etc.

Offline Turbobell

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2015, 06:05:42 pm »
So, as the main fault codes I had were all to do with inlet cam, I wanted to see the valves/cams and as intake manifold and rocker cover removal are pretty easy i whipped them off.

Offline Turbobell

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2015, 06:09:18 pm »
So... Cams looked fine, inlet valves were all present and accounted for, head was itching....

I timed the engine up however and the marks for cam and crank were perfect! Like a muppet I forgot about a key feature on the TFSI the camshaft adjuster and fuel pump cam on the NS....

After being reminded of this fact and with some help from a good friend of mine I whipped the casing off to discover this....

The adjuster on the exhaust cam was shot... the chain had snapped... the guide for the chain had been smashed... and pretty much every tooth on the exhaust cam adjuster had been sheared off... Champion.

Offline Turbobell

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2015, 06:11:59 pm »
With what spares I had with the head came a complete camshaft adjuster, with chain and guides... So we removed the old kit and using a locking tool for the cams, we timed the exhaust and inlet cams and locked them together... New chain and adjuster were refitted and the rest of the ancillaries were refitted. Last thing to do was give the lump a rotate and check for contact/compression... zero contact/plenty compression... Happy days!

Battery on... Flick of the key... Broom broom

Not all smiles though, the engine sounded pretty rough, with a blinder of a misfire  There was a serious case of top end rattle so I quickly switched the car off and got the sump off. Unfortunately I don't have any pictures. Which is a shame, as the sump was completely saturated with sludge, even after draining, and worst of all, the oil pickup looked like it had been painted with black wallpaper paste, to the point I could not even blow through it! This has been cleaned, along with the sump, within an inch of their lives.

Oil pickup refitted, sump sealed and refitted, a few litres of the finest longlife, key flick round 2!

Engine now sounds lovely. I think the original fault must have been an ignored oil light for a drop in oil pressure/starvation due to the blocked pickup! Something so simple eh?

I have got extremely lucky with this one, the eventual failure must have happened under very little load. So when the chain lost pressure and tension, the exhaust cam dragged up the slack, snapped the chain and sheared some teeth. Meanwhile, with the last bit of hydraulic pressure left, the inlet valves were slammed shut and survived!

This leaves me where I'm now at;
Car at least wants a flywheel so will have all at once Flywheel/clutch etc.
Disks & pads all round.

« Last Edit: November 02, 2015, 10:03:17 am by Turbobell »

Offline Turbobell

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2015, 06:14:44 pm »
So.....

Still got the car, and still enjoy driving it every day.

Since getting the car back on the road, and the usual, service and maintenance,
I've added coilovers,
Had the zeniths refurbished in gloss black,
Fitted 16mm forge rear spacers,
Whiteline RARB,
Full LED interior bulb kit,
Dash and door trims gloss black,
Londoncolour 5k HID conversion,
Silver indicator bulbs front and rear,
And LED number plate lights.

« Last Edit: November 02, 2015, 10:02:38 am by Turbobell »

Offline v4rley

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 29
  • -Receive: 104
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2015, 06:29:55 pm »
Nice detailed write up! Was a good that spare head certinally came in handy  :grin: unbelievable how blocked the pickup was considering the mileage do you know what the service history is like?

Offline xjay1337

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 377
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,88399.0.html
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2015, 09:10:27 pm »
Nice mate!

dansmith180

« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2015, 09:16:24 pm »
Nice buy mate, what you in for in total then? About £3k and a couple of weekends work?

Offline Turbobell

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2015, 10:50:59 pm »
Stay tuned while i get this up to date guys.

Dale

Offline Turbobell

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2015, 10:57:42 pm »
Fitted the superpro alk and engine mount insert this weekend. Now done 20k in the car over the last 2 years since repair,  ordered a complete rear axle pollybush kit, and a Porsche Boxster caliper conversion kit, that needs a refurb.

Also added a little bit of aero

« Last Edit: November 02, 2015, 12:55:07 pm by Turbobell »

Offline Turbobell

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2015, 10:19:21 am »
Made the choice on wheels, love the look of O.Zs so picked up some 17x8 Superturismos ET35. Got them refurbished and got tyres on order. Had to order centre caps, £55 for genuine carbon ones, but it's all in the details, ready for the 'ring in May. My calipers are back from powder. Just need to clean out pots and fit the new seals.

After a quick poor boys seal. The super ts are wrapped in a brand new set of Goodyear f1s 225/45/17 94Y.

Got the OMP fitted too.

The keen eye may have already spotted I've ditched the vrs leathers and fitted a cloth elegance trim that I won for a £1. This is not for keeps, but just to allow me to sell the rs trim and keep the car family friendly. The cloth trim will be going.

« Last Edit: November 02, 2015, 10:27:00 am by Turbobell »

Offline Turbobell

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2015, 10:25:23 am »
The calipers are now all built up ready to go, this is definitely a job worth taking on for an experienced diy'er...

There are a few videos on YouTube worth watching before doing it, and I would recommend grabbing a m10x1.0 tap to re-cut the threads for the bleed screws and line feed, once re-cut all of the bleed screws went in by hand and a little smear of copper grease will help prevent any seizing in the future.

Allow for an hour or so to strip the calipers, and around the same for the rebuild. I got the new seals, dust boots, and bleed screws all from eBay, ECP have genuine Porsche pad fitting kits in stock. calipers were chemical stripped and powder coated by City Powder Coaters, Digbeth, Birmingham. They charge £25-30 per pair of calipers if you supply them stripped.

Got them fitted along with the new wheels. Went for ferodo ds2500 pads, first impressions  are staggering. The difference in feel and initial bite is frightening.

« Last Edit: November 02, 2015, 01:22:19 pm by Turbobell »