Make a donation

Author Topic: Rebirth of a GTI (TIME FOR "RACECAR")  (Read 23368 times)

Offline M9xxr

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 5
    • Email
Re: Rebirth of a GTI (TIME FOR RACECAR)
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2015, 05:49:52 pm »
Where did you get the rad from? And is it direct fit or you got to make the pipes up? Intrested in this thread, I'm turning my gti into a track hound too!  :driver:

Offline doaburnout

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 1
  • Mk5 2.0tfsi GTI (track build)
    • Instagram Profile
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,102247.0.html
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2015, 09:33:44 pm »
Where did you get the rad from? And is it direct fit or you got to make the pipes up? Intrested in this thread, I'm turning my gti into a track hound too!  :driver:

From my brothers at SS Autowerks, great guys and they'll be custom building me a cage and hard lining the intercooler up!
Rad is a straight fit part! I'm gunnar get my hands on some new radiator fans from mishimoto too because as you could imagine the stock fans took a beating!
Track muncher is the plan! Buying a b7a4 avant in the new year (tdi) as a good daily when this comes off the road full time to be worked on constantly and built up for track!

Offline Mk5chris

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 6
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2015, 12:14:35 pm »
Think I know this car. What's your name on instagram? Im gti_christian with the track golf.

Offline doaburnout

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Instagram Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2015, 12:40:53 pm »
Think I know this car. What's your name on instagram? Im gti_christian with the track golf.

t0ne_deaf, was mitchell_gti!
Yeh man I'm a mate of Danny and Joerg from SS, my plans aren't dissimilar to what you've done! Where'd you get your rear wing from??

Offline Mk5chris

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 6
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2015, 12:46:47 pm »
Ahhhhh i know yeah! Look forward to seeing what you do then mate. Wing is custom made mate, im sure Danny could do you something.

Offline tommygti

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 22
  • -Receive: 9
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2015, 03:11:08 pm »
I have the same intercooler. Interested to see what your setup will be like as I havn't installed mine yet. Ive removed the aircon system completely so I have no aircon rad which helps with the additional space and started fabricating custom boost pipes. Are you doing something similar?

Gutted to hear about the crash by the way but hey, now you have an excuse to upgrade bigger and better.

Offline doaburnout

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Instagram Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2015, 03:57:13 pm »
Ahhhhh i know yeah! Look forward to seeing what you do then mate. Wing is custom made mate, im sure Danny could do you something.

Cheers mate! Wide fast and grippy is the plan! Aye fair enough! Been designing some anyway so might make that come to life! Cheers man!

Offline doaburnout

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Instagram Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2015, 03:59:01 pm »
I have the same intercooler. Interested to see what your setup will be like as I havn't installed mine yet. Ive removed the aircon system completely so I have no aircon rad which helps with the additional space and started fabricating custom boost pipes. Are you doing something similar?

Gutted to hear about the crash by the way but hey, now you have an excuse to upgrade bigger and better.

Will be all hard lined up! Seals on my turbo are dead anyway so I'm thinking it may need to be k04 time anyway... was it easy to remove the air con system? And did it affect heaters? I never use air con but definitely need the heaters in there for now!

Offline tommygti

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2015, 09:29:14 am »
Its not a difficult job to be honest. Removing the aircon rad itself is easy, its the pipes leading to the firewall that are a bit tricky to remove but it helps make the bay a bit cleaner (+ I have relocated my carbon canister to make way for a custom intake). The heaters are not affect by the removal as they run off a completely different system. My rad was fook'ed so just thought I might aswell remove it rather than shell out the cash for a new one considering I never use it anyway. People have claimed that you can notice a slight difference in engine response. You will need a non-aircon auxiliary belt which is shorter if you decide to do it. I'l try find the part no. for you. 

Offline doaburnout

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Instagram Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2015, 02:40:48 pm »
Its not a difficult job to be honest. Removing the aircon rad itself is easy, its the pipes leading to the firewall that are a bit tricky to remove but it helps make the bay a bit cleaner (+ I have relocated my carbon canister to make way for a custom intake). The heaters are not affect by the removal as they run off a completely different system. My rad was fook'ed so just thought I might aswell remove it rather than shell out the cash for a new one considering I never use it anyway. People have claimed that you can notice a slight difference in engine response. You will need a non-aircon auxiliary belt which is shorter if you decide to do it. I'l try find the part no. for you.

Brilliant! I removed the rad as it was cracked anyway and I bought a 2nd hand one from scrappy to replace it then thought I don't even use it... so I will have a look into it! If you could find the part number that would be great, cheers!

Offline doaburnout

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Instagram Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 22, 2015, 01:44:49 pm »
UPDATE 22/11/15

So decided to scrap off the air con! spent yesterday doing that, ordered a new aux belt but got one 53mm too short which sucks so I'm stuck like this unfortunately

But that's not too bad, having to make up some custom mounts to sit the radiator stable and the intercooler, but that should all be fine and dandy.

Picked these immaculate lights up from @galaxie500 the other day, the guy drives the most immaculate ed30 I've ever seen!

Turned out as well my k03 was indeed dead as I'd thought a few months ago, I thought it was but didn't quite realise how bad it was, so the car's going to be off the road for a while longer while I get a k04 sorted.
Enjoying riding my fixed gear though so that's not a problem!
Til next time all!
 :party:

Offline doaburnout

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Instagram Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 23, 2015, 10:07:50 pm »
rad is mounted...

Offline tommygti

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: November 24, 2015, 10:57:24 am »
rad is mounted...

Did you end up building custom mounts to fit the rad? I know Neuspeed made some for their FMIC kit but they are expensive.

Offline doaburnout

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Instagram Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 24, 2015, 11:20:17 am »
rad is mounted...

Did you end up building custom mounts to fit the rad? I know Neuspeed made some for their FMIC kit but they are expensive.

Yeh man, custom!

Offline Paradox1

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 41
  • -Receive: 82
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: November 24, 2015, 11:23:36 am »
Is there any difference between that new radiator and an OEM one?

Worthy upgrade?