Make a donation

Author Topic: Coolant temp scary low  (Read 16309 times)

Offline Pesky jones

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 18
Re: Coolant temp scary low
« Reply #30 on: November 23, 2015, 09:47:02 pm »
Yes mate, that's exactly it.. The stat is open too early and not closing so the engine is getting over cooled by the rad.

Save your money and time on the inline stats

Thanks for the heads up. I'm going to look into replacing the main stat. Be proper chuffed if I manage it, and absolutely kicking myself that I didn't take it to a pro if it goes wrong. as always. Thanks

Offline Madone

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 27
« Reply #31 on: November 23, 2015, 10:05:35 pm »
Yea, I am the same, thought about doing it but knew it would be a pain so got it done and sat at home drinking tea instead  :smiley:

Offline Pesky jones

• Thank You
« Reply #32 on: November 23, 2015, 10:45:36 pm »
Yea, I am the same, thought about doing it but knew it would be a pain so got it done and sat at home drinking tea instead  :smiley:

Having a look at the procedure - i'll be doing the same! I thought the main stat would just be a little bit harder then the inlines - how wrong I was. What a pain!

How much was yours?

Offline Pesky jones

• Thank You
« Reply #33 on: November 23, 2015, 11:00:03 pm »
Also, anyone have any thoughts on whether I should address this issue sooner or later, I was planning on booking the car in for a remap in December/January and was wondering whether I could leave it till after the remap/ once my wallet recovers, but am unsure whether r-tech would be able to get the most out of a remap if the thermostat is playing up.

Offline Madone

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 27
« Reply #34 on: November 24, 2015, 10:14:49 am »
Running cooler the mpg will suffer, the oil will be slightly thicker as the oil cooler is water cooled. You won't do any damage. But not sure about the map, I am sure they would want it at operating temp. Prob worth getting it done before the remap if you can.

Offline exodus_ste

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 14
  • -Receive: 11
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: November 24, 2015, 04:02:14 pm »
I had a bash at doing my main stat a couple of months ago. Its actually not as bad as you think. Its just time consuming as there are quite a few parts to take off. If you just follow a guide and pay attention its really not so bad. I followed the instructions on Pelican Parts which were very good.

Solved my cold running issue but not my fan issue!

Offline Pesky jones

• Thank You
« Reply #36 on: November 24, 2015, 04:27:23 pm »
I watched the video from the first page where he does a lot of work from under the car. I cant imagine this being fun on axle stands... plus I need a locking pin for the cambelt.

Offline doylebros

• Thank You
  • -Given: 44
  • -Receive: 309
« Reply #37 on: November 24, 2015, 05:16:02 pm »
I watched the video from the first page where he does a lot of work from under the car. I cant imagine this being fun on axle stands... plus I need a locking pin for the cambelt.
Locking pin for the cam belt?????

Offline r5gtt

• Thank You
  • -Given: 342
  • -Receive: 334
« Reply #38 on: November 24, 2015, 05:51:55 pm »
I think he meant fan belt lol.

Does anyone know the size of pin used as you can use a nail, Allen key. etc.

Offline Pesky jones

• Thank You
« Reply #39 on: November 24, 2015, 11:10:46 pm »
Oh I thought you needed to somehow lock the sprockets the cam belt sits on in place when you take the belt off?

Offline r5gtt

• Thank You
  • -Given: 342
  • -Receive: 334
« Reply #40 on: November 24, 2015, 11:35:33 pm »
Oh I thought you needed to somehow lock the sprockets the cam belt sits on in place when you take the belt off?
Not at all Peskyjones, it's the fan belt tensioner when your slackening and removing the belt. is all. :-)

Offline Pesky jones

• Thank You
« Reply #41 on: November 25, 2015, 10:18:17 am »
Not at all Peskyjones, it's the fan belt tensioner when your slackening and removing the belt. is all. :-)

Ok so you use the spanner to keep the tensioner in place. Whats the purpose of that? So you don't have to re tension the cambelt when you put it back?

Offline dazza

• Admin
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 90
  • -Receive: 190
  • Coding Boffin
    • Email
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=9s4stoogj96epjpm3cd3s85kr5&/topic,90967.msg917089.html#msg917089
« Reply #42 on: November 25, 2015, 11:11:08 am »
Ok so you use the spanner to keep the tensioner in place. Whats the purpose of that? So you don't have to re tension the cambelt when you put it back?
You use a spanner on the tensioner to take the tension off the aux belt then slide a nail/allen key through the hole to hold it in place. I use an allen key.

« Last Edit: November 25, 2015, 11:13:26 am by dazza »

05 | Tornado Red | DSG

Offline Pesky jones

• Thank You
« Reply #43 on: November 25, 2015, 11:42:46 am »
You use a spanner on the tensioner to take the tension off the aux belt then slide a nail/allen key through the hole to hold it in place. I use an allen key.

Right. Cheers dazza. I seem to remember you replacing your thermostat, any top tips?

Offline dazza

• Admin
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 90
  • -Receive: 190
  • Coding Boffin
    • Email
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=9s4stoogj96epjpm3cd3s85kr5&/topic,90967.msg917089.html#msg917089
« Reply #44 on: November 25, 2015, 11:59:03 am »

05 | Tornado Red | DSG