Make a donation

Author Topic: Matt's Steel Grey 5door GTI  (Read 35670 times)

Offline FrameSet

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 7
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,102535.0.html
Re: Matt's Steel Grey 5door GTI
« Reply #30 on: January 17, 2016, 01:48:38 pm »
Another update:

Took a trip to Wales for a few days. Some lovely roads and brilliant scenery. But as I'm sure you're already imagining... It was raining.. A lot! The car ran brilliantly, 35+ mpg's on the motorway there and back.

It needed a wash once I got home!

On returning home I found a new roof aerial seal from the postie so got that on today. However it's not gone down properly, may have to use some sort of sealant  :scared: (anyone replaced one of these before?)

Also got a set of heko wind deflectors. I've had these on my 2 previous golfs and I'm still not sure if i really like them! Somehow I managed to break the end off one of the rear deflectors  :ashamed:  So two more are on order.

On another note, I bought some iron-X and tried it out cleaning my alloys from the TDI. And wow, this stuff is good.

If anyone is after a set of these they are for sale!

Thanks for looking,
Matt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: January 17, 2016, 01:52:39 pm by FrameSet »

Offline white91

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 13
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: January 17, 2016, 03:16:41 pm »
Where did the sat nav antenna end up as I'm doing mine this week?

Offline Gid

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #32 on: January 18, 2016, 11:52:33 am »
Iron-X is awesome stuff!

Offline FrameSet

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #33 on: January 26, 2016, 09:57:49 am »
Changed the coolant temp sensor this morning. Car hasn't been getting up to temperature (90 degrees) unless driving hard or stationary.
New sensor in and no change! If anything, seemed to stay even colder than before!

Any ideas? New thermostat?

Here's the old sensor:

Also going to change the oil soon, seems most go for castrol edge or quantum so I'll see what I can find!

Offline FrameSet

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #34 on: January 26, 2016, 10:51:51 am »
Does it
A) get up to 90 degrees after a long time?
B) stay at 90 degrees once it does reach 90 (if it does at all)
C) not reach 90 degrees at all and floats around between 50 - 70

Do you have an OBD reader or access to VCDS?

A bit of a mixture. It will reach 90 but only if left to idle (i.e. sat at traffic lights or parked)
but say driving at 60 in 6th on an A road it will sit somewhere between 50-70 as you said. Then if i am to get home and leave it running it will get back to 90 again.

Unfortunately I don't have access to VCDS but might take it into VW Auiditech as they are close to me.

Offline Pesky jones

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 18
« Reply #35 on: January 26, 2016, 10:57:21 am »
Does it

A bit of a mixture. It will reach 90 but only if left to idle (i.e. sat at traffic lights or parked)
but say driving at 60 in 6th on an A road it will sit somewhere between 50-70 as you said. Then if i am to get home and leave it running it will get back to 90 again.

Unfortunately I don't have access to VCDS but might take it into VW Auiditech as they are close to me.

Cant recommend VWauditech enough, theyre great guys. I personally think its your main stat. If you have a DSG then you will have three stats in total. One main and two inlines. The main regulates the temperature overall, the two inlines simply help it to get to temp quickly when you start the car. If you have a manual then you only have two; main and one inline.

It will be roughly 225 including parts and labour to change the main stat alone. See what they say. I have VCDS if you need it in the future

Offline FrameSet

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #36 on: January 26, 2016, 11:15:55 am »
Does it

Cant recommend VWauditech enough, theyre great guys. I personally think its your main stat. If you have a DSG then you will have three stats in total. One main and two inlines. The main regulates the temperature overall, the two inlines simply help it to get to temp quickly when you start the car. If you have a manual then you only have two; main and one inline.

It will be roughly 225 including parts and labour to change the main stat alone. See what they say. I have VCDS if you need it in the future

Interesting, thanks. Im manual so a little more simple. I should think its worth doing. Doesn't seem to affect the car but i don't like not knowing. Where about are you if you don't mind me asking?! Could come in handy one day  :happy2:

Offline Shoduchi

• Thank You
  • -Given: 220
  • -Receive: 429
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,95592.msg952042.html
« Reply #37 on: January 26, 2016, 11:25:21 am »
Does it

Interesting, thanks. Im manual so a little more simple. I should think its worth doing. Doesn't seem to affect the car but i don't like not knowing. Where about are you if you don't mind me asking?! Could come in handy one day  :happy2:
When I bought mine the temp needle sit in the correct place 90ºC. Later I bought a PolarFIS Adv. and noticed the engine temp only reached 74ºC, right the temp that makes the needle reach the 90ºC. The engine temp only reached 90ºC when sitting in traffic for a while.

Since my Ed. 30 is a MY08 it only has 2 stats, a main and a DSG. I made a full mechanical overall and my mechanic found that the DSG stat was malfunctioning.  :smiley:

Offline FrameSet

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #38 on: February 01, 2016, 09:38:49 am »
Hi guys.

Ive been thinking about getting an induction kit for the GTI. Not really for any sort of performance benefit as I'm not even stage 1 yet and exhaust is all stock (for now). So really just after the noise. So looking at a ramair. Seen quite a few of you go for the oversize (90mm) kit even on K03's. What would be better, this or the 70mm kit? Prefer the look of the 70 as theres not jubilee clips everywhere and its cheaper, but so many seem to go for the 90?!

Either this or some lowering springs  :laugh:

Cheers

Offline Pesky jones

• Thank You
« Reply #39 on: February 01, 2016, 10:36:33 am »
Did you sort out the stat problem?

Offline FrameSet

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #40 on: February 01, 2016, 10:42:03 am »
Did you sort out the stat problem?
Not as yet. Will probably take it into VWauditech this week or next. Fairly sure it will need a new stat but its difficult to part with the cash when the car still drives up to road fine everyday!

Offline Pesky jones

• Thank You
« Reply #41 on: February 01, 2016, 10:49:10 am »
Tell me about it

Offline Shoduchi

• Thank You
  • -Given: 220
  • -Receive: 429
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,95592.msg952042.html
« Reply #42 on: February 01, 2016, 11:31:03 am »
Just mind that a cold engine will run a richer combustion, increasing the oil gases returning to the manifold, which in turn will fill your inlet valves of gunk with time.

When I bought my Ed. 30 the car had the temp gauge at 90ºC, but when I fitted a PolarFIS Adv. I noticed the engine in fact was running at 74-75ºC, just enough for the needle to sit at 90ºC. With 35k miles I had my inlet valves pretty nasty.

Unless you have the R-Tech PCV delete kit fitted it will happen to yours too. :wink:

Offline FrameSet

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #43 on: February 04, 2016, 11:20:01 am »
Just changed the cam follower. Had a pop at it a few days ago without realising the earlier models have the dreaded banjo bolt. So, without the correct tools there was nothing I could do!
However you may laugh at my makeshift spanner/bit/ electrical tape tool but it worked!

I was expecting it to be much more worn but I guess 7 years of lady ownership wasn't too harsh on the little cam follower.
So, old one out and popped in the fresh one along with the new seal and bolts.

Also, I'm writing this with a big Ramair box sitting in front of me....

Thanks for reading!

Offline Martk19871

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 27
  • -Receive: 14
  • Va Va Voom
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,100145.msg983012.html#msg983012
« Reply #44 on: February 04, 2016, 08:32:25 pm »
Why did you add tape to the toque , so you could apply more pressure? Where did you get the Cam Follower kit? I've seen one on Awesome GTI and I've been meaning to change it myself.