Make a donation

Author Topic: Berry's Shadow Blue GTI  (Read 9183 times)

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 392
  • -Receive: 316
Re: Newbie and his Shadow Blue GTI
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2016, 10:23:04 pm »
Sorry to derail the thread btw Berry.

Shadow blue can look so damn good when it's looked after. See loads of neglected examples of cars in dark metallics, but a good polish and wax makes them a million times deeper in colour. Yours looks like Shadow should look.

Keep waxing!

Offline shoaybmakda

• Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 54
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2016, 11:34:22 am »
Sorry to derail the thread btw Berry.

Shadow blue can look so damn good when it's looked after. See loads of neglected examples of cars in dark metallics, but a good polish and wax makes them a million times deeper in colour. Yours looks like Shadow should look.

Keep waxing!

agree - theres so many examples that I've seen where the bodywork just looks plain awful in shadow blue. when they are clean they look stunning!

Offline Berry

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 5
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2016, 10:28:08 pm »
Not at all AJP!
I find it interesting hearing others opinions. I'm definitely set on that kind of style for the bumper and skirts. My only dilemma being whether I find a 'pre smoothed' Edition 30 bumper or get the body shop to thoroughly smooth prep my existing. The ED30 bumpers seem to have a nice little extra crease in them too which I like, but hard to come by, and pricey too. Not interested in after market as I don't want a bodgy fit.

Cheers for the comments  :smiley:
She does gleam in the sun, has AUTO GLYM 'LIFE SHINE' protection on the bodywork for what it's worth? Guessing that must help.
Nevertheless, a good detail session is on the list, need to dedicate a warm(er) Saturday to it sometime in spring.

On another note, put some non scratchy 17's on yesterday, transformed the look of the car having mint wheels on. Will be putting the others up for sale, which will most certainly need a refurb!

The eagle eyed among you will notice the lack of 1 wheel nut. Unfortunately the guys at the garage, after having to stand on a breaker to get all of the fronts off, snapped one of them in doing so. So my job for next weekend will be to drill whats left in the hub out, and source a replacement bolt in the meantime. Nothing major but a PITA. Will be having words with the guys at the previous tyre place who evidently tightened them to kingdom come!

Shadow Blue MK5 GTI

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 392
  • -Receive: 316
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2016, 10:42:31 pm »
I like Autoglym. SRP then HD Wax works a treat. On Tornado Red at least!

Yeah the ed30 bumper has a bit more shape to it. I always thought the GTI rear was a bit unfinished, or half designed.

It was designed with the curve that separates top and bottom half, but then they leave the top half in black too..? Strange!

Maybe cost cutters intervened at some point in the process and left the extra paint for the ed30 and R32..

Offline swebster94

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 3
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2016, 10:53:41 pm »
Nice car, shadow blue is a lovely colour! I like just the standard Monzas too, especially in mint condition! Reminds me to get mine refurbished soon  :wink:

Must have been cross threaded or seriously over torqued to snap the wheel bolt! May be easier to replace the hub than drill the bolt out?
2005 Reflex Silver GT TDI
2010 Black Tiguan R-Line

Offline Mk6Sam

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 2
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2016, 08:44:51 pm »
Great Colour :happy2: Always underrated!

Offline Berry

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
Berry's Shadow Blue GTI
« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2016, 09:00:24 am »
Hi Guys,
Not posted this section for a bit.

Since getting the Monzas done I can't help being drawn toward some lovely BBS rims. The new Monzas were only a temp replacement really.
Thinking VZ as they're so much cheaper than the CH. Also considering them in Satin Anthracite, as I'm wondering if a slightly darker finish may look better on Shadow Blue... What do you all think?

I've also fitted X Car Link Bluetooth module which works brilliantly with standard 6CD changer and way more cost effective than a new head unit. Works well for music from my phone and with calls through the speakers too. Plus got Cruise Control fitted at the same time.
Also obtained a Carbonio intake and panel filter from the for sale section here.. Not sure there's much difference to performance in all honesty but hey it looks bling.

Plan to get the pre-cat delete done myself too once I order new gasket set. Slightly worried it'll be too loud as different YouTube videos give very different impressions but I'm too curious not to... Especially as it's free  :wink:
Anyone in the Surrey Area got a lift I can borrow to save my back..?!  :grin:
If not I'm going to invest in some ramps.

« Last Edit: February 07, 2016, 10:29:18 am by Berry »
Shadow Blue MK5 GTI

Offline OldSpeckledBen

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 0
Re: Berry's Shadow Blue GTI
« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2016, 11:02:09 am »
Car is looking very nice mate!  :happy2:

Shadow blue is such a good colour and the best colour  :wink: especially when the sun shines on it  :smiley:

A set of Edition 30 alloys would be very nice on shadow blue as they have a darker finish, although I might be selling my anthricite Team Dynamic 1.2's soon which have a set of nearly new Michelin PS3's on  :wink:

Keep up the good work,

Cheers,
Ben

Offline Berry

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2016, 09:46:35 pm »

Shadow blue is such a good colour and the best colour  :wink: especially when the sun shines on it  :smiley:

A set of Edition 30 alloys would be very nice on shadow blue as they have a darker finish, although I might be selling my anthricite Team Dynamic 1.2's soon which have a set of nearly new Michelin PS3's on  :wink:

Keep up the good work,

Cheers,
Ben

Cheers Ben!
Yeah I'm thinking a slightly darker colour for the alloys may
Look better. Hard to tell and not many images online with shadow blue and anthracite wheels. May just go
For it-when funds allow.
Hopefully some nice new r32 rear lights will add to the asthetic in the mean time...  :grin:  :happy2:
Next step is to keep a look out for a colour coded rear bumper  :wink: hehe.

You putting your old wheels back on to sell then Ben?
Shadow Blue MK5 GTI

Offline AJG09

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 21
  • My Ride: 2005 mk5 golf 1.6 FSI
« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2016, 11:34:35 pm »
Anthracite wheels go well with shadow blue, stuck mine on my mates r32 the otherday so he could see what it looks like and it definately goes well.   :smiley:

Offline Berry

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2016, 11:04:05 am »
Anthracite wheels go well with shadow blue, stuck mine on my mates r32 the otherday so he could see what it looks like and it definately goes well.   :smiley:

Oh really? Got any pictures at all?
Shadow Blue MK5 GTI

Offline AJG09

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 21
  • My Ride: 2005 mk5 golf 1.6 FSI
« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2016, 02:50:14 pm »

Oh really? Got any pictures at all?

I didn't take any unfortunately  :stupid:

Offline Berry

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2016, 10:57:44 pm »
Thanks to OldSpeckledBen on here Ive been blessed with a much improved set of genuine R32 rear lights... Absolutely loving the improvement it has made to her rear end, as it were. Especially this being a darker colour.

Really were easy to fit, inners are slightly fiddly given the tighter working space but it's still an easy Job. Took me about 20 mins to swap all 4 light units.

Before;

After;

Sorry for the offensive state of the car in that second picture! It's hard keeping her anywhere near clean all of the time at this time of year.

Anyway, next step is some 18" VZ or CH or colour coded rear valance, whichever comes first.

Shadow Blue MK5 GTI

Offline OldSpeckledBen

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #28 on: February 21, 2016, 10:31:05 pm »

Keep up the good work,

Cheers,
Ben

Cheers Ben!
Yeah I'm thinking a slightly darker colour for the alloys may
Look better. Hard to tell and not many images online with shadow blue and anthracite wheels. May just go
For it-when funds allow.
Hopefully some nice new r32 rear lights will add to the asthetic in the mean time...  :grin:  :happy2:
Next step is to keep a look out for a colour coded rear bumper  :wink: hehe.

You putting your old wheels back on to sell then Ben?

Yeah the darker alloys look tidy against shadow blue  :smiley:
Yeah the old wheels are back on now the Team Dynamics are now in the garage waiting to go up for sale  :sad1:

The lights are looking very nice mate, I miss them on mine  :sad1: they make such a difference, in a good way  :happy2:

I found the inners to be a pain as well but it's worth the effort  :smiley:

Cheers,
Ben