Make a donation

Author Topic: Going Stage 2+  (Read 31822 times)

Offline bbfb10

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 23
  • -Receive: 28
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,83664.0.html
Going Stage 2+
« on: March 05, 2016, 08:44:30 pm »
Right then boys and girls, lve saved a few pennies and am looking to go from stock straight to Stage 2+. Im very excited.

I know l need an intercooler and a downpipe, l dont want a decat so have been looking at the 'ebay special' Direnza sports cat pipes. Ive searched on here and found differing opinions. Does anyone have a first hand review or opinion of one?

In terms of intercooler am l best to go for an S3 one or are the ebay specials just as good? Again, first hand opinions would be great.

Im tempted by the R-Tech Wellycooler, but dont know a great deal about them. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Ta. Ben.

Full VCDS Hex + Can.

Offline jacobrownoly

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 8
Re: Going Stage 2+
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2016, 10:02:49 pm »
Right then boys and girls, lve saved a few pennies and am looking to go from stock straight to Stage 2+. Im very excited.

I know l need an intercooler and a downpipe, l dont want a decat so have been looking at the 'ebay special' Direnza sports cat pipes. Ive searched on here and found differing opinions. Does anyone have a first hand review or opinion of one?

In terms of intercooler am l best to go for an S3 one or are the ebay specials just as good? Again, first hand opinions would be great.

Im tempted by the R-Tech Wellycooler, but dont know a great deal about them. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Ta. Ben.

Stage 2+ is great. You will need an intercooler tho to get the best out of it.I would look at Airtec and is much better than the S3 one. In terms of exhaust you only need a de-cat downpipe, you can get one off eBay for £150 (leave your cat-back stock).

I just made 280bhp and 400nm on stage 2+ the car is great!

Offline Chris92

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 33
  • -Receive: 35
  • If you're smart in this world they call you crazy
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,109742.0.html
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2016, 11:11:00 am »
Id go with full exhaust system, my pal had his r at r-tech going stage 2+ but only had a de cat downpipe on instead of a full system but they said he come of had another 10-15 bhp with a cat back on.

Offline Ricky123

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 27
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,98436.0.html
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2016, 01:15:06 am »
S3 intercooler is more than enough for stage 2+ on k03 turbo and is a lot cheaper than other options.

I had a direnza cat back on a previous gti and it was fine, can't comment on long term use or a sports cat as I didn't have the car long enough and didn't use one of there sports cats.

Decat would be a better choice, it will be mapped so you don't have an engine light on with the decat fitted. It will just need swapping at mot time unless you have a friendly mot man. Not a huge job anyway so worth considering.

The biggest restriction on the exhaust is the cat/downpipe the rest of the system will efffect performance but I never felt any real difference myself going from stock cat back and decat to aftermarket cat back and decat.
56 mk5 ed30 3dr
57 mk5 1.9 TDi match
22 a3 s-line competition 45 tfsiE
09 Suzuki GSXR 1000 (road going track sl*g)

Offline c4pete

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2016, 10:07:55 am »
Hey Ben,

What did you end up doing?  I'm looking at the Direnza down pipes with sport cat, be curious what you thought if you fitted one.

Cheers,
Pete.

Offline Sulley91

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2016, 10:34:49 pm »
I'll be selling my turbo back Milltek system in the next week if your interested @c4pete

Offline croak2012

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 4
  • My first Gti mk5
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2016, 11:27:14 pm »
I'm sure I read s3 intercooler is good for 360bhp somewhere...

Offline r5gtt

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 342
  • -Receive: 334
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2016, 11:42:43 pm »
niki says it's good for stage 2+ as I have the R6 ic when we had words last so that's good enough for me.

Offline croak2012

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 4
  • My first Gti mk5
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2016, 11:48:44 pm »
niki says it's good for stage 2+ as I have the R6 ic when we had words last so that's good enough for me.

exactly! and the whole idea of ka04 upgrade is to bring it up to audi s3 spec anyways haha!

Offline bbfb10

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 28
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,83664.0.html
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2016, 07:09:27 am »
@c4pete I managed to get hold of a Milltek 200 cell sports cat d/p and a resonated cat-back in the end for bargain prices from members on here. Sounds great.

In terms of Stage 2+ lm yet to fit my intercooler and get a map as lm seriously considering buying an edition 30 and moving my Stage 2+ parts over to that.

Full VCDS Hex + Can.

Offline r5gtt

• Thank You
  • -Given: 342
  • -Receive: 334
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2016, 02:34:48 pm »

exactly! and the whole idea of ka04 upgrade is to bring it up to audi s3 spec anyways haha!
lol definitely and anyone who says it's no good should contact Niki at r-tech who will put things right  :signLOL:
I can also say these Chinese copies will easily do the same job as any other fmic although figment is very tedious. Been there done that with my last car and took a whole six hours to do including chopping the cross member and manufacturing your own pipes with odds and ends lots of swearing too  :doh:

Offline xs2man

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 18
  • -Receive: 15
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2016, 04:33:39 pm »
Happy to hear that.  I just got a S3 intercooler (later one with plastic ends, same as 6R I beleive, off a 27k motor).  Only because it was silly cheap really.  I wasn't planning on going stage 2+, was only planning a DP / decat.  But I think I'll only be HPFP internals + rs4 valve away from 2+ now, so is probably worth the extra £350 or so.

OP.  Keep an eye on the likes of Audi-Sport.net and other Audi forums for S3 intercoolers.  I picked mine up for £100 delivered, probably because no-one wants such a thing on the Audi forum as it's not an upgrade to them.  It is to us though.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2016, 05:28:24 pm by xs2man »

Offline bigeyd

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 66
  • -Receive: 31
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2016, 07:56:37 pm »
Stage 2+ is the way forward :D

JackL15

« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2016, 07:25:24 am »
Mine made 282bhp 347 torque at stage 2 with a standard fuel pump. Now have a loba fitted and need to get the map tweaked.

Offline DANBOY66

• Thank You
  • -Given: 41
  • -Receive: 55
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,74301.0.html
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2016, 07:39:50 am »
i have a THS intercooler for sale i will be adding it to my for sale items later today  :happy2:

and stage 2+ is excellent always scare quite a few quick cars  :grin:
Dan..

Seat Ibiza cupra 06 1.8T GTX2867R GEN2 track toy in the making
Passat TDI 170 DSG the Family mini cab