Make a donation

Author Topic: 170 DPF delete downpipe  (Read 4210 times)

Offline Pacman

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
170 DPF delete downpipe
« on: April 02, 2016, 08:54:07 am »
Morning all,

I'm looking to remove the dpf from my golf and been looking at replacement downpipe, I found this on eBay and wondered if anyone has used one of these before? If so is it a good fit and decent quality ?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/262365388309

Thanks

Offline stuart-88

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 21
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,101197.0.html
Re: 170 DPF delete downpipe
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2016, 10:49:24 pm »
eBay specials are usually a bit hit and miss as far as i have seen. I personally had a de-cat pipe on my old 1.9tdi and the 2 prong brackets were so far out they wouldn't go into the hanger properly. Different manufacturers though so don't take my word for it on this one, but you usually pay for what you get  :happy2:

Instagram: stu_nc88

Offline ephemeross

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 3
  • @supptora
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2016, 10:21:20 am »
You will fail an MOT with that as it's obvious that the DPF has been removed.
It's probably cheaper to have someone cut the DPF open and remove the filter, then weld it back up (this is what I may end up doing at some point).
2007 Reflex Silver GT TDI 170 @ 187 BHP / 313 lbft.
Instagram: @supptora

Offline flashp

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 65
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2016, 11:12:54 pm »

Gone but not forgotten :-)

Offline Pacman

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2016, 09:53:40 am »
Thanks for your reply's,I am aware there are a lot of things to consider about removing the downpipe and fitted the delete one,with regard to the mot I was just gonna refit the dpf before it goes in to be tested I no it's a bit of a hassle but if it means the car passes test then so be it.

Im planning on getting the car mapped after removing dpf so I would assume that the emissions would be at a decent enough level to pass the smoke test anyway with no issues

The link posted by flashp is a good read and there are a lot of people commenting on it and I agree with some of them and I no there are other things that contribute to dpf issues including the driver and I have to say that yeah I probably bought the wrong car as mine is used by the wife 90% of the time and doesn't really get a lot of long runs which isn't helping with the car carrying out regen every 2 weeks,I no there are issues on the car that can contribute to dpf issues as well,I have carried out some work on the inlet to try and help I've replaced the broken inlet manifold as it was the one with the flaps in it,I have fully cleaned the egr and pipe work,fully cleaned the throttle body too as they were both full of carbon,the car had new injectors in 2012 and only done around 20,000 miles on them so should be fine but I removed them and replaced the sealing washers as a precaution I've tried removing and cleaning dpf tried running cleaners threw the fuel system a few times spent more than £100 on cleaners alone,and it doesn't help much imo,there are never any fault codes stored in ecu either this is why I have decided to go down the removal route.

I no some may disagree with what I'm doing but it's my best option to suit me and it'll be good to not get moaned at by the wife every couple weeks about the dpf light lol.

Offline Pashka

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 33
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2016, 03:37:05 pm »
these profi decat pipes are good ones.
06 1.9 TDI Owner. Retrofits: Bixenons, Drls, Full GT/GTI exterior, RNS510+MDI+Premium Bluetooth+RVC+OPS, Full Fis, MFSW, Cruise control, TPMS, Polar Fis, Boot pop up and more.. :)
Coding, diagnostic and retrofits in Leeds
Pre coded Can Gateways for battery drain issues with RNS510 and similar headunits
Premium Bluetooth modules/kit
RNS510 Service - codes, maps/firmware updates
Latest V8 West EU maps update service for RNS315

Offline flashp

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 65
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2016, 09:17:54 pm »
Thanks for your reply's,I am aware there are a lot of things to consider about removing the downpipe and fitted the delete one,with regard to the mot I was just gonna refit the dpf before it goes in to be tested I no it's a bit of a hassle but if it means the car passes test then so be it.

Im planning on getting the car mapped after removing dpf so I would assume that the emissions would be at a decent enough level to pass the smoke test anyway with no issues

The link posted by flashp is a good read and there are a lot of people commenting on it and I agree with some of them and I no there are other things that contribute to dpf issues including the driver and I have to say that yeah I probably bought the wrong car as mine is used by the wife 90% of the time and doesn't really get a lot of long runs which isn't helping with the car carrying out regen every 2 weeks,I no there are issues on the car that can contribute to dpf issues as well,I have carried out some work on the inlet to try and help I've replaced the broken inlet manifold as it was the one with the flaps in it,I have fully cleaned the egr and pipe work,fully cleaned the throttle body too as they were both full of carbon,the car had new injectors in 2012 and only done around 20,000 miles on them so should be fine but I removed them and replaced the sealing washers as a precaution I've tried removing and cleaning dpf tried running cleaners threw the fuel system a few times spent more than £100 on cleaners alone,and it doesn't help much imo,there are never any fault codes stored in ecu either this is why I have decided to go down the removal route.

I no some may disagree with what I'm doing but it's my best option to suit me and it'll be good to not get moaned at by the wife every couple weeks about the dpf light lol.
I used to have a MY08 Leon FR with the PD170 engine which I used for commuting 5 miles each way. Engine temp was rarely out of the blue by the time I got to work. Other than this I used to really drive it hard, I was never one to see how many mpg I could get out of it and getting into 6th gear at 30 mph because the torque would let you. In the 14k miles I did in it in 2 years I never saw the DPF light. Was I lucky? I don't know.
They benefit hugely from elevated exhaust gas temperatures. I forget what revs specifically are recommended but I remember reading advice to the effect of get into a gear to reach and maintain x rpm for about 25/20 mins. When I had the Leon there was speculation that the placement of the DPF was too far from the turbo so EGT's could remain lower than optimal.
Maybe your solution is to go out and give it the beans once a week!  :driver:
Not sure if you'll run into technical issues with respect to your map switching the DPF in and out...
It may also be that some tuners that were previously willing to undertake this kind of work are steering away from removal and mapping out, really not sure about that though. I know JKM for example won't go near this kind of work due to the potential legalities involved. They probably also don't want to be associated with circumventing legal requirements  -  [this is not me getting morally sanctimonious and is speculation :wink:

« Last Edit: May 11, 2016, 06:00:27 am by flashp »

Gone but not forgotten :-)