Make a donation

Author Topic: Mk6 boot badge WTF?  (Read 5256 times)

Offline Meallbhan

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
Mk6 boot badge WTF?
« on: April 05, 2016, 05:14:28 pm »
Hi, ok after reading various methods and speaking to people on here about replacing my boot badge, I ordered a genuine vw mk6 badge to do the job.
I got half way through it and took off the old mk5 badge and cleaned up the underneath ready for respraying. Before I let loose with the paint I grabbed my new badge to set the fitment and low and behold the damn thing doesnt fit! WTF!!
Both badges are 110mm but the new one has thicker edges and will not go over the handle.
Please if anyone can advise me that would be fantastic! Thanks

Offline StuF

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 31
  • -Receive: 38
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,90017.0.html
Re: Mk6 boot badge WTF?
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2016, 05:28:26 pm »
Is it just the badge you are trying to replace or the whole mechanism?
If its just the badge it wont fit however the whole mech from a mk6 will slip right in

Have a read here

http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,15681.0.html

Where Napoleons armies marched with horse and musket and Hitlers Reich crumbled in blood and rubble, the warriors of Armageddon do battle against the landscape of hell now indeed thrive the ARMOURERS

Offline Meallbhan

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2016, 05:48:53 pm »
Yep just the badge as I was advised. I may as well have spent the 140 that vw were asking for a new mk5 mech if I've got to get a mk6 one. It may well just be a black badge now coz so far I'm 50 quid in to it. Unless I can file and dremel this one to fit "better"

Offline Meallbhan

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2016, 06:37:55 pm »
I might have just rescued it, waiting for paint to dry before I know for sure.
I got the dremel and thinned the new badges edge down to match the original metal mk5 one.  Looking good so far.......

Offline cenobytez

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 7
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2016, 01:19:20 pm »
I replaced the whole handle with a 2nd hand one off ebay, £30, painted it up, and happy chappy. sounds like you got some duff advice there.
But I think with the mk5 handle there are at least 2 variants that I am aware off, the early ones were pretty flush and the later ones had a more raised logo, but not as much as the mk6

Offline Meallbhan

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2016, 07:00:10 pm »
Good news!! All sorted now.

The new badge I got, a genuine mk6, but only the chrome bit nothing else would not fit as the inner diameter underneath and inside was about 3mm smaller coz of the thicker moulded plastic it's made from. Also it had the clip on tabs on the backside too. The original mk5 metal badge was far thinner as it just pressed sheet.

Anyway I got the new mk6 badge to fit perfectly with a bit of work. I snapped off the inner clips then took the dremel with a sanding wheel to the inside diameter of the badge. I took about 2mm off and it was a close match with the mk5 badge thickness. It all fitted flush and neatly so I got some black silicone gasket and stuck the new badge on to the mechanism. I had cleaned up the mech and given it a few.coats of Matt black.

So, after all, the mk6 badge (only) will fit a mk5 mech. Albeit with a bit of fettling.

Offline StuF

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 31
  • -Receive: 38
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,90017.0.html
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2016, 07:16:12 pm »
 :worthless:

Where Napoleons armies marched with horse and musket and Hitlers Reich crumbled in blood and rubble, the warriors of Armageddon do battle against the landscape of hell now indeed thrive the ARMOURERS

Offline Meallbhan

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2016, 07:37:57 pm »
Sorry but I don't have photos hope all set up

Offline dronners

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 34
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2016, 09:36:45 am »
I found out this the hard way too ended up trimming the base and glueing it on

4ndy

« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2016, 07:37:28 pm »
Strange one this. I fitted mk6 rear badges to both TDI and GTI mk5s without all this dremel stuff going on  Only thing that I had to do was remove most of the locating pins on the rear of the chrome "vw"  A few strips of double sided helped :happy2: