Make a donation

Author Topic: Mk5 GTI, Mk6 R and now GTR  (Read 5791 times)

Offline jonnym

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 40
  • -Receive: 22
Mk5 GTI, Mk6 R and now GTR
« on: April 11, 2016, 10:16:01 pm »
The last three years I've had a Mk5 GTi, Mk5 R and now a Nissan GTR. The GTR is the first Jap car I've had, and I've now owned it for 6 months. I had considered a RS6 before but was felt down by the handling - but it is of course a long family wagon.

I love my GTR, and its destroying power. It looks the part. Running costs aren't as bad as other "super cars", but aren't as cheap as the Golf. Which is partly the reason for writing for this. My Mk5 I drove "properly" and if something broke it would be fairly easy to fix. Tyres for example at £800 all in and that's a with a good discount on MPSS tyres!

I went to Audi recently to further enquire about a RS6 but got put off by a complete lack of knowledge - ie not knowing what a C7 was and insisting I'd need a deposit aswell as a car in PX.

I then looked for high powered TFSI cars but the only one I liked was manual and seems to have had a troubled gearbox history (DSG would sort that but at a cost).

But having a good day on the roads yesterday terrorising some lambos and ferraris brings me back to why I got it! (Altho said cars had drivers that have money but no skill :p). Then a grey Mk5 GTI tried it on and whilst I ate it, my heart sank :(

I don't know what to do. I miss just having a go-kart of a car, although the GTR can be aswell.

I do think I'll get a GTI or R again soon!

« Last Edit: April 11, 2016, 10:18:09 pm by jonnym »
@PSW - "Candy white ones are the nicest and fastest"

Offline Andy

• Admin
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 442
    • Email
Re: Mk5 GTI, Mk6 R and now GTR
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2016, 12:36:56 am »
been following your progress on insta gram..The gtr is a hell of a machine but not maintaince friendly to your wallet..Why not buy a gti  as a 2nd car seen as they have come down in price

Offline jonnym

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2016, 09:08:47 am »
been following your progress on insta gram..The gtr is a hell of a machine but not maintaince friendly to your wallet..Why not buy a gti  as a 2nd car seen as they have come down in price

May well do. But I like to spend lots on it haha like the other two. Getting my hands on a 2+ GTI today for a few hours so see how that changes me :p

What's your Instagram?

Offline Tfsi_Mike

• Thank You
  • -Given: 241
  • -Receive: 309
  • Go Large or Go Home
    • Tfsi Mikes Money Pit AKS / TTE / RTech St2+ Cupra
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,32721.msg402587.html#msg402587
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2016, 09:21:27 am »

Lucky lad :-)

Offline Andy

• Admin
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 442
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2016, 09:41:14 am »

May well do. But I like to spend lots on it haha like the other two. Getting my hands on a 2+ GTI today for a few hours so see how that changes me :p

What's your Instagram?
Be interesting to see what you thing of a stage 2 golf!
Instagram is andyflint13

Offline jonnym

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2016, 03:17:22 pm »

Lucky lad :-)

I know crazy hey :p

Apparently my old R has been terrorising the streets of Lincoln and the police aren't happy

Offline jonnym

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2016, 03:18:29 pm »

What's your Instagram?
Be interesting to see what you thing of a stage 2 golf!
Instagram is andyflint13

Hahah same old, but different after driving an auto for a while, and being in a completely different seating set up!

Offline Black9

• Thank You
  • -Given: 35
  • -Receive: 19
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2016, 01:25:44 pm »
I know how u feel. I had a KO3 GTI, and an edition 30 with DSG at same time. Was running revo stage 1, TBE & some Susp mods. Didn't get along too well with the DSG so sold it and bought an E39 M5. Owned that for around a year then bought a facelift C63 AMG saloon, cats removed, engine remap and quaife LSD.

I love the C63 and it's fast. Part of me still really misses the Gti. Even tho it's a stock manual ko3 car it was great fun, reliable and quick enough. Most important it was fun to drive and had a good spec (Xenons, 18's etc..) so felt modern enough too.

It's been parked up for the past year or so since I bought the 63, so will be getting it back on the road ASAP and enjoying it alongside the 63 this summer.

My advice, buy a second hang Gti and enjoy. Doubt I'll ever sell mine

Offline Paradox1

• Thank You
  • -Given: 41
  • -Receive: 82
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2016, 02:17:32 pm »
I cant think of where but your blue GTI looks very familiar...
maybe seen it at a car show or something.

Since Love your GTR(who wouldn't) You could get another gti and that could be your mistress lol

either a daily car or even a weekend car, depending on how you feel

dansmith180

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2016, 10:06:14 pm »
Amazing how a few people have stepped up to bigger and better than the MK5 GTI (or similar) and still have that real soft spot for it. Shows you how good these cars are and how much you get for your money.

Offline jonnym

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2016, 11:26:49 am »
I know how u feel. I had a KO3 GTI, and an edition 30 with DSG at same time. Was running revo stage 1, TBE & some Susp mods. Didn't get along too well with the DSG so sold it and bought an E39 M5. Owned that for around a year then bought a facelift C63 AMG saloon, cats removed, engine remap and quaife LSD.

I love the C63 and it's fast. Part of me still really misses the Gti. Even tho it's a stock manual ko3 car it was great fun, reliable and quick enough. Most important it was fun to drive and had a good spec (Xenons, 18's etc..) so felt modern enough too.

It's been parked up for the past year or so since I bought the 63, so will be getting it back on the road ASAP and enjoying it alongside the 63 this summer.

My advice, buy a second hang Gti and enjoy. Doubt I'll ever sell mine

Yeh - september is the time for something in addition, weathers perfect and reminded myself why I got the GTR yesterday!

Offline jonnym

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2016, 11:27:52 am »
I cant think of where but your blue GTI looks very familiar...
maybe seen it at a car show or something.

Since Love your GTR(who wouldn't) You could get another gti and that could be your mistress lol

either a daily car or even a weekend car, depending on how you feel

Yeh I was all over with it. Although the wrap came off in Jan 2015. my old mk5 is still about, currently going round Nurburg!!

Offline jay26r

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2016, 01:17:52 pm »
i think i have seen your mk5 (white one ) wile i had my r32 at gaz vag auto care ,think that one was there?

Offline farhan.ali

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 2
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2016, 01:47:19 am »
i just spoke to my mate he said his bro (mk5 black gti "bo05st o" - now also has a gti) has the same feels as you lol

i hear all that power makes it too easy!  :signLOL:

Offline jonnym

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2017, 05:29:47 pm »
i just spoke to my mate he said his bro (mk5 black gti "bo05st o" - now also has a gti) has the same feels as you lol

i hear all that power makes it too easy!  :signLOL:

Yeh is soooo true! I miss my R more than most! Back looking at them...