Make a donation

Author Topic: Anyone painted their front grilles?  (Read 10692 times)

Offline raz469

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 12
Re: Anyone painted their front grilles?
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2016, 01:03:09 pm »
Damn. I brought some gtechniq and was gonna break it out today and give the grill a going over. Now i dont know.
Id like to know how the painted grills last. I assume everyone plastic primers and paint?

Offline raz469

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2016, 12:57:13 pm »
I gtechniq'd the grille yesterday. Cant say im too confident in the product. Ive used it on other trims and it definitely makes a big difference, but.....

Applied, waited an hour with hot weather, rubbed with finger to feel finish, & fingered areas show as dull now:

Also you can see the original and new colour, where i missed a spot

Offline Ollieeee

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 4
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2016, 12:19:44 pm »
I have;  :pomppomp:

Are these all gloss? Debating doing mine.

Offline Pesky jones

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 18
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2016, 12:33:23 pm »
Is It just the honeycomb bits you guys are painting? Or is it the gloss black smooth bit behind the numberplate as well?

Might do the whole front grill (bar the red stripe) and also the two fog grills.

Offline Softishman

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2016, 03:49:39 pm »

Offline Ollieeee

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2016, 04:09:05 pm »
I have;  :pomppomp:

Are these all gloss? Debating doing mine.

Yes!!

Scrolled down further after i'd replied  :ashamed: looks awesome, can't decide if it'll be too much on red though?

Offline The Red Warrior

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 32
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2016, 12:56:19 pm »
A friend of mine has his painted (was like that when he bought the car) and every time I work on his car I think how nice it looks. His appear to be a gloss black with a small amount of silver speck in it.
I've tried a few things to rejuvenate them but none last long. People have recommended tyre shine, peanut oil, interior plastic spray etc. None of them looked as good as Softishman's painted ones though :sad1:
I might actually paint mine this weekend as my car is off the road for a bit while I await parts.
Are you guys/gals using using special plastic paints? I've never seen such a product. I'll have a search here in New Zealand.
I've got plenty of clear coat left over that I never used when I machined my wheels. Do you recommend clear coating too?

Offline Softishman

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2016, 06:05:26 pm »
Thanks!! :drinking:
I have tried to spray paint them myself but when a had a painter doing my frint wings, hood and bumpers i legt the grilles to him aswell and it's great!! Much better then doing it yourself!!

Offline Ollieeee

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2016, 12:16:15 pm »
A friend of mine has his painted (was like that when he bought the car) and every time I work on his car I think how nice it looks. His appear to be a gloss black with a small amount of silver speck in it.
I've tried a few things to rejuvenate them but none last long. People have recommended tyre shine, peanut oil, interior plastic spray etc. None of them looked as good as Softishman's painted ones though :sad1:
I might actually paint mine this weekend as my car is off the road for a bit while I await parts.
Are you guys/gals using using special plastic paints? I've never seen such a product. I'll have a search here in New Zealand.
I've got plenty of clear coat left over that I never used when I machined my wheels. Do you recommend clear coating too?

I've got some Aerospace 303 which is supposed to last well, i'm just dreading the thought of having to do all the honeycombs!

Might give it a whirl, if it doesn't last then get them sprayed up. Just be deciding between satin and gloss then!