Make a donation

Author Topic: Bilstein B8 part numbers  (Read 20593 times)

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 392
  • -Receive: 316
Re: Bilstein B8 part numbers
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2016, 10:04:57 pm »
Thanks for the link, seems mk6 b8'a are the way to go. I've ran H&R springs with standard shocks before so ill be able to compare the 2 and update once I've once fitted.

And yeah, totally agree finding that right balance is difficult but I'm hoping this proves to be near enough.

Where are you thinking of having them from? I'm in exactly the same boat as you and @AJP On H&R's with standard tired shocks and looking to replace them. I plan on only owning the car another year or so, so didn't know whether to go B8's or OEM as it will be going back to standard at some point.
It's probably throwing money away if you're only keeping it a year. Plus, if you're going back to standard springs before you sell it, it'd make sense to have standard shocks to compliment them. New standard shocks now would make more sense, they'll still be fresh in a year. I think the Bilsteins are considerably more expensive than standard shocks.

I'm sure even new standard shocks will improve the ride quality by a noticeable margin.

Mine's a bit of a long-termer, I plan to keep it for at least another 5 years as I don't do many miles. That's my justification for spending lots of money on it anyway!

Offline PirelliDroo83

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 2
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2016, 10:24:42 pm »
I'm the same, running H&Rs on original shocks and was looking into the B8s before my priorities changed and I took advantage of the group buy on a full Powervalve system.

Anyway, during my research, I asked Al at Awesome what the difference between the MK5 and MK6 B8s was and got this reply.....

"As for the Mk5/Mk6 kits, the part numbers were changed a year or so ago so that they were no longer any different between the Mk5 and the Mk6."

Sure enough, the part numbers for both on Awesome's site are exactly the same so looks like the difference is no more.

A BBK is next for me but after that I will be looking at shocks again but I now think my preference is for the Koni Sports.

Offline Shoy1980

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 18
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2016, 10:39:08 pm »
I've recently changed from H&R springs with standard shocks to H&R springs with Bilstein B8's part numbers 35-108191 + 24-178006 from eBay Germany which is about £150 cheaper than Awesome GTI. The ride is very harsh I reckon compared to before and the fronts looks a lot higher now. Maybe the shocks need to bed in a bit, it's been about two weeks.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2016, 11:09:43 pm »
Interesting. Maybe standard shocks are a better solution after all?

Offline Mark_DF05

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 23
  • -Receive: 8
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2016, 09:44:12 am »
Yeah that's thrown a spanner in the works, everything I've read so far seems to suggest the b8's are a massive improvement from stock shocks.

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2016, 09:58:05 am »
I'm the same, running H&Rs on original shocks and was looking into the B8s before my priorities changed and I took advantage of the group buy on a full Powervalve system.

Anyway, during my research, I asked Al at Awesome what the difference between the MK5 and MK6 B8s was and got this reply.....

"As for the Mk5/Mk6 kits, the part numbers were changed a year or so ago so that they were no longer any different between the Mk5 and the Mk6."

Sure enough, the part numbers for both on Awesome's site are exactly the same so looks like the difference is no more.

A BBK is next for me but after that I will be looking at shocks again but I now think my preference is for the Koni Sports.

So the MK5 is now the same spec as MK6 then, going by what he said.  Maybe too many complaints of harshness!   Bilstein's current catalogue still shows as 2014/2015 so it's probably out of date then!  MK6 and MK5 are the same part numbers as the OP (i.e. different) in the catalogue.

Out of interest, I got a price on the standard dampers from my dealer mate and they're dirt cheap!!  £67.69 each (inc vat) for the fronts and £60.14 each for the rears.   I'm thinking new OEMs with VWR springs could make the car feel fresh again without any harshness. 

There's too much conflicting info on the Bilsteins and they're £600 a set, so a bit of a gamble to take.  We only want to do it once after all!

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline Mark_DF05

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2016, 02:37:19 pm »
Just spoke to Awesome who comfired as above that the mk5 and mk6 b8's are now the same and share the same part number so if you order from them you'll get the softer ones.

I was also told about some VWR shocks that have just been launched, they aren't on the site yet I don't think but they're quite a bit cheaper than Bilsteins (£320 + VAT). Matt is emailing me a press release so I'll post up the info once i get it.

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2016, 02:42:18 pm »
Another option to look at, cool!

If the B8s are now the softer ones, I'm torn between those and new originals now.

All this choice is bewildering!  Back in my MK2 / Corrado days, you used to have the choice of "A suspension kit" and that was it  :grin:

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2016, 02:47:43 pm »

Offline Mark_DF05

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2016, 03:13:26 pm »
I know, so may options. last night I was set on getting the mk6 b8's but tempted by these VWR one now. Never used any of their stuff though.

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2016, 06:10:51 pm »
Majority of VWR stuff is just other brands, rebranded with 'VWR Tax' added.

I'd love to think they're a new development, but they're likely available now, under a different name.

Someone please prove me wrong!

Offline Mark_DF05

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #26 on: April 28, 2016, 07:04:34 pm »
Ah right, might not be as good as originally thought then. Here's the info from the press release:

When it comes to sport dampers the compromise between performance and comfort has been a persistent dilemma for keen drivers and enthusiasts.
With the RacingLine Performance Sport Damper kit, which consists of two front and two rear shocks, this dilemma becomes a thing of the past for Golf 5, 6 and
Scirocco at an affordable price.
We are pleased to provide all RacingLine Performance importers and stockists with detailed information, full technical specification and pricing for our new Sport
Damper Kit which is now in stock.
Fitting the RacingLine Performance Sport Damper kit ensures superior road-holding and a positive transformation in handling characteristics without compromising
comfort. Our Sport Dampers are designed to maximise comfort and performance on all road conditions, and driving styles; guaranteeing greater stability, control and
therefore driving pleasure.
This kit has been designed to work in harmony with RacingLine Performance Sport Springs. In tandem, these upgrades provide the ultimate in handling and comfort.
These two upgrades really do make the perfect combination for your car and we are therefore please to offer full Sport Damper and Spring packs.

KEY TECH SPECS
• TRI-VALVE TECHNOLOGY: Ensures suitability of dampers for both standard and lowered cars, as well as sporty feel during high speed cornering on
smooth surfaces and comfort on uneven surfaces.

•55mm DAMPER SIZE

• DUAL HOSE DESIGN: Comfort guaranteed thanks to dual tube design and low pressure gas system.

• HIGH QUALITY OIL: Longevity far exceeds OEM spec and many rival manufacturer dampers of similar value because RacingLine Performance Sport
Dampers use higher quality oil. A superior valve design controls and limits the heat build-up internally ensuring the oil lasts longer.

• NO SHOCK FADE: The addition of Nitrogen gas into the system eliminates oil foaming when the oil is hot, the main cause of shock fade.

PERFORMANCE - THE POWER OF THREE /// THE BEST OF BOTH WORLDS
Our Sport Damper features three hydraulic valves: one bump valve, one rebound valve and a main valve, with the movement of the damper shaft
predominantly controlled by the valves in low and high speed shaft frequencies (smooth and rough road conditions).
The bump valve is mainly responsible for the sporty, agile feel of the car on smoother surfaces, whilst the rebound valve maintains the comfort balance.
Unforgiving bumps in the road which cause other damper kits to react harshly are controlled by the main valve which overrides the bump and rebound
valve. It smooths out the reaction of the damper shaft at high speeds to maintain comfort.
This intelligent Tri-Valve technology is what sets our Sports Dampers apart from standard OEM dampers. It allows you to have the best of both worlds.

DEVELOPMENT AND CONSTRUCTION
RacingLine Performance engineers have worked tirelessly to achieve this optimum balance between performance and comfort by using the most
sophisticated testing equipment and procedures.
A shock dyno was used to extensively simulate the performance of the damper in a variety of situations, from the race track to the road, to confirm
endurance and reliability.
The body and bracketry of the Sport Dampers are made of mild steel and the damper shaft features a hardened chrome finish. The dampers are finished
in a black gloss paint with the RacingLine Performance logo applied.
Our Dampers are supplied with a mounting nut for the top of the component, and bespoke to this kit is a Teflon disc which attaches to the damper shaft
to prevent the bump stop from sucking oil from the top shaft seal. This is a feature which has been overlooked by most other damper designs in the
market and it is one of the key reasons why RacingLine Performance Sport Dampers perform optimally on a consistent basi

PRICING
• VWR30G500 Sport Damper Kit - Golf 5 / 6, R Scirocco: RRP ex. VAT £310.00
• VWR30G5GT Sport Damper and Spring Kit - Golf 5 / 6: RRP ex. VAT £430.00
• VWR30G60R Sport Damper and Spring Kit - Golf 6 R: RRP ex. VAT £430.00
• VWR30S000 Sport Damper and Spring Kit - Scirocco: RRP ex. VAT £430.00

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #27 on: April 28, 2016, 07:20:15 pm »
That all makes good reading. And they're not a bad price.

I'd like to hear from someone who's actually used them though.

We need a guinea pig!

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #28 on: April 29, 2016, 09:31:48 am »
Happy to give them a go!   Seems a cost effective way to get rid the crap OEM springs that snap and get some better dampers too.  I just hope they last as long as the original SACHS ones!

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #29 on: April 29, 2016, 10:14:45 am »
Happy to give them a go!   Seems a cost effective way to get rid the crap OEM springs that snap and get some better dampers too.  I just hope they last as long as the original SACHS ones!
What are you on at the minute, standard springs and shocks?

I've got to say, after having a bit of an enthusiastic b road drive yesterday, the standard shocks with H&R springs are really quite good. I think I'm just looking at other options because of the fact that they've lost a bit of refinement during normal driving.

If it turns out the VWR dampers are poor I won't have a problem fitting some fresh oem shocks.