Make a donation

Author Topic: Bilstein B8 part numbers  (Read 20807 times)

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 672
Re: Bilstein B8 part numbers
« Reply #30 on: April 29, 2016, 10:25:47 am »
Happy to give them a go!   Seems a cost effective way to get rid the crap OEM springs that snap and get some better dampers too.  I just hope they last as long as the original SACHS ones!
What are you on at the minute, standard springs and shocks?

I've got to say, after having a bit of an enthusiastic b road drive yesterday, the standard shocks with H&R springs are really quite good. I think I'm just looking at other options because of the fact that they've lost a bit of refinement during normal driving.

If it turns out the VWR dampers are poor I won't have a problem fitting some fresh oem shocks.

Yeah completely standard mate.....and 100K old, so feeling pretty ropey right now.   I think the rear dampers are definitely shot as the turn-in is getting heavier and I can feel the wheels flapping about over bumps.   It's a lot floatier over crests too.  I can still remember how great a brand new GTI felt to drive, way back in 2006 when I was young and had some hair, so I know how they *should* drive.  Not like mine, that's for sure  :grin:

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 392
  • -Receive: 316
« Reply #31 on: April 29, 2016, 10:54:00 am »
Happy to give them a go!   Seems a cost effective way to get rid the crap OEM springs that snap and get some better dampers too.  I just hope they last as long as the original SACHS ones!

I've got to say, after having a bit of an enthusiastic b road drive yesterday, the standard shocks with H&R springs are really quite good. I think I'm just looking at other options because of the fact that they've lost a bit of refinement during normal driving.

If it turns out the VWR dampers are poor I won't have a problem fitting some fresh oem shocks.

Yeah completely standard mate.....and 100K old, so feeling pretty ropey right now.   I think the rear dampers are definitely shot as the turn-in is getting heavier and I can feel the wheels flapping about over bumps.   It's a lot floatier over crests too.  I can still remember how great a brand new GTI felt to drive, way back in 2006 when I was young and had some hair, so I know how they *should* drive.  Not like mine, that's for sure  :grin:
Ha! Yeah you'll definitely benefit from new shocks at 100k. Maybe a few bushes and things too.

I'm on 75k, last 5k of which were on H&R springs, so I doubt I'm far behind you.

The plan is to replace dampers, topmounts, fit an anti-lift kit, and change any other little bits that would be tired at this age. That won't be for another 6/12 months though, as I've got to sort a BBK.

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #32 on: April 29, 2016, 11:19:11 am »

Ha! Yeah you'll definitely benefit from new shocks at 100k. Maybe a few bushes and things too.

I'm on 75k, last 5k of which were on H&R springs, so I doubt I'm far behind you.

The plan is to replace dampers, topmounts, fit an anti-lift kit, and change any other little bits that would be tired at this age. That won't be for another 6/12 months though, as I've got to sort a BBK.

Yeah there's a lot of bushes under there.  Probably quite expensive in labour to do all of them in one hit!  I think I'll change any that look suspect when the new dampers / springs go on, and do the rest at a later date.

I would do the chassis refresh ahead of the brakes if it were me but defo do the WALK, or S3 console bushes  :happy2:

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #33 on: April 29, 2016, 11:32:32 am »

Yeah there's a lot of bushes under there.  Probably quite expensive in labour to do all of them in one hit!  I think I'll change any that look suspect when the new dampers / springs go on, and do the rest at a later date.

I would do the chassis refresh ahead of the brakes if it were me but defo do the WALK, or S3 console bushes  :happy2:
At the minute the brakes are by far the weakest link for me. I think they're a bit suspect even at stock power levels, and I'm a bit further on than stock now.

It's only really an opportunity to claw back a bit of refinement for me; like I said the dampers and springs do the job nicely from a performance point of view, but they're just a bit rough around the edges doing town driving on bad surfaces when you want the car to be comfortable rather than fast.

The brakes however are a matter of safety, so they need doing!

Offline Mark_DF05

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 23
  • -Receive: 8
« Reply #34 on: April 29, 2016, 02:10:54 pm »
Bought the VWR dampers so you guys have got a Guinea pig! The price was too tempting in comparison to the mk6 b8's and the write up sounded perfect. Just hoping they're as good as they sound.

Will update this thread once they're on the car and I've done a few miles with them on.

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #35 on: April 29, 2016, 02:18:06 pm »
Bought the VWR dampers so you guys have got a Guinea pig! The price was too tempting in comparison to the mk6 b8's and the write up sounded perfect. Just hoping they're as good as they sound.

Will update this thread once they're on the car and I've done a few miles with them on.
Excellent! We await the results.

Fingers crossed they're up to scratch

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #36 on: April 29, 2016, 02:34:48 pm »

At the minute the brakes are by far the weakest link for me. I think they're a bit suspect even at stock power levels, and I'm a bit further on than stock now.

It's only really an opportunity to claw back a bit of refinement for me; like I said the dampers and springs do the job nicely from a performance point of view, but they're just a bit rough around the edges doing town driving on bad surfaces when you want the car to be comfortable rather than fast.

I think you and I are in the same boat, but I honestly don't think the standard brakes are too bad at all  :smiley: 

The standard kit is pretty good on fast bumpy B roads as it doesn't throw you around like hard suspension does, but it just needs a little less roll at the limit and more refinement over bumps around town as you say.

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #37 on: April 29, 2016, 02:35:26 pm »

Oh really, nice one!  Where did you get them from?  I'm going to go for those with the springs too.

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #38 on: April 29, 2016, 02:44:19 pm »

I think you and I are in the same boat, but I honestly don't think the standard brakes are too bad at all  :smiley: 

The standard kit is pretty good on fast bumpy B roads as it doesn't throw you around like hard suspension does, but it just needs a little less roll at the limit and more refinement over bumps around town as you say.
They're not too bad, no. But I've managed to cook them a few times within quite a short series of corners. Those Welsh roads we mentioned for example, just destroyed them.

It's just a size thing, they get hot too quick and can't shed heat quick enough.

If they're not red hot, they're good enough to save you in an emergency. And that's pretty much what VAG designed them to be capable of, ultimately. So they're not 'bad' in 95% of situations. Believe me, I've owned some cars that had scarily weak brakes by comparison!

Anyway.... these dampers. I'm quite looking forward to hearing the results.

Offline Mark_DF05

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #39 on: April 30, 2016, 09:56:35 am »

Oh really, nice one!  Where did you get them from?  I'm going to go for those with the springs too.

Got them from Awesome Gti mate.

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #40 on: May 06, 2016, 12:14:19 pm »

Thanks mate.  You fitted them yet?!  Am I right in thinking you don't need an alignment after changing springs / dampers because nothing geometry wise is disturbed?

Offline rich83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 801
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=6l0a40s08qop2pqouth00hs0t4&/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #41 on: May 06, 2016, 12:45:59 pm »
Not really... you'll need to get it aligned to be honest.

Offline Mark_DF05

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #42 on: May 06, 2016, 02:33:55 pm »

Thanks mate.  You fitted them yet?!  Am I right in thinking you don't need an alignment after changing springs / dampers because nothing geometry wise is disturbed?

Not yet mate, getting them fitted in Monday along with new strut mounts and bearings. And yeah, booked in for an alignment too.

Offline fish

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 4
« Reply #43 on: May 09, 2016, 06:32:07 pm »
Any update on your new VWR dampers mate? Keen to know how you are finding them!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #44 on: May 10, 2016, 04:07:07 pm »
Yeah come on man, get them fitted already!  :smiley: