Make a donation

Author Topic: Induction kits and prices  (Read 5022 times)

Offline Rasco

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 1
Re: Induction kits and prices
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2016, 10:01:20 pm »
So not really essential even  for 300bhp and is the original poster even stage1? , I stand by my comment, save your money and do something useful like change the oil and filter and the cam follower for less than you'd waste on an intake

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 392
  • -Receive: 316
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2016, 10:06:02 pm »
I still can't be 100% on why the car was running perfect in eyes before trying the filter kit if you recall but maybe too much air was causing more of a boost leak due to more air travelling through?. If someone had one I could try for an hour would be nice  :signLOL: that'll definitely answer the question of was it or wasn't it the dv that caused the car to play silly buggers with a CAI kit fitted?.
Yeah true. It could be that the combination of a dodgy dv and the intake were enough to make it throw a wobbler. I had a split dv, and while it screwed the performance, it didn't behave like yours.

I largely agree about the intake anyway. It's waaaay down my to-do list if it ever happens at all. I'll be uprating the fuel pump, intercooler, and turbo first.

But they work for some folks.

Offline Rasco

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2016, 10:10:04 pm »
Something cannot be beautiful if it serves no function.

That doesnt make sense.

It makes perfect sense, I was trying to quote William Morris who said that "nothing useless can be truly beautiful" so in this context an intake kit cannot be beautiful if it makes no difference in performance 

Offline r5gtt

• Thank You
  • -Given: 342
  • -Receive: 334
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2016, 10:12:43 pm »
I still can't be 100% on why the car was running perfect in eyes before trying the filter kit if you recall but maybe too much air was causing more of a boost leak due to more air travelling through?. If someone had one I could try for an hour would be nice  :signLOL: that'll definitely answer the question of was it or wasn't it the dv that caused the car to play silly buggers with a CAI kit fitted?.
Yeah true. It could be that the combination of a dodgy dv and the intake were enough to make it throw a wobbler. I had a split dv, and while it screwed the performance, it didn't behave like yours.

I largely agree about the intake anyway. It's waaaay down my to-do list if it ever happens at all. I'll be uprating the fuel pump, intercooler, and turbo first.

But they work for some folks.
That's the weird thing  :confused: it works for others and not me, I don't really want to buy another one only to find its messing around again tbh.

I swear i have full boost on take off now but will update the other post when I get to go crazy tomorrow night. modestly not psychoticly if that's even a word  :signLOL:

Offline r5gtt

• Thank You
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2016, 10:14:32 pm »
Something cannot be beautiful if it serves no function.

That doesnt make sense.

It makes perfect sense, I was trying to quote William Morris who said that "nothing useless can be truly beautiful" so in this context an intake kit cannot be beautiful if it makes no difference in performance
:slap:  :signLOL: they look nice end of.

Offline slix

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 38
  • Stage 1 ED30 Owner
« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2016, 10:46:47 pm »
With my ram air fitted on stage 1 the noise was okay but got on my nerves after about 3 months. Plus when I went back to the standard air box the car felt like it picked up better and had better lower end torque.
Stage "1.5" ED30 [330BHP] Rtech

Offline Malcolmgt

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2016, 11:17:30 pm »
Food for thought... I prefer the exhaust note to the turbo whistle... Pre cat delete maybe then

Offline dronners

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 34
« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2016, 11:54:55 am »
the Ram air does make some interesting noises.   definatly hear it dragging the air through. but i quite like it and tbh its not an intrusive noise.

Offline r5gtt

• Thank You
« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2016, 12:45:01 pm »
Yes very interesting noises that's for sure  :grin:

My car's feeling mega amazing with lots of torque and super quick response after replacing that dv with the GFB dv + and I can honestly say it was well worth the £65 I think I paid for it  :smiley:

Offline Shoduchi

• Thank You
  • -Given: 220
  • -Receive: 429
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,95592.msg952042.html
« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2016, 02:01:28 pm »
AJP do you really really need one?.

Some are running 300bhp with OEM and a panel filter and say the CAI isn't worth it. don't take offence as that's what I was crying about when I had issues with mine high revving and late gear changing etc do you remember?.
I'm running 330 with a ITG/VWR panel filter at stage 2. No restriction from the airbox at the moment. I want to see how much power I can get from the airbox before I think about buying the VWR CAI. :smiley:

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 670
« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2016, 02:21:33 pm »
My Edition 30 is at 300hp with standard airbox, standard paper filter, standard downpipe and cat back, hell even the spark plugs and coils are standard.   Torque was somewhere around 330lbft if I remember right, but obviously that's midrange and not carried to the limiter  :smiley:

The intake is the last thing I will be doing in my series of mods.   I'm going intercooler first (MK6 R) and APR downpipe + map tweaks, and then I'll see what the old girl throws at the rollers then.

I hate induction noise.  Even if there was a proven 40hp gain (which VW Racing claim for their intake, incidentally), I would still use the factory airbox  :smiley:   I'm not greedy  :innocent:

In all seriousness, there are definitely gains to be had from an intake, providing the extra burnt gases can escape equally fast, so the exhaust should always be done first on a turbo engine.  A really good intake will make it feel a bit less strangled at the top end, otherwise you won't feel a lot.  It's mostly noise.  Most of them blunt the initial responsiveness of the engine at the lower rpms.

The factory box is a complete pain in the backside, don't get me wrong.  Extremely picky with the MAF housing and sits right above a roasting hot cat converter....but as said, that natty little engine cover easily flows enough for 300+ shetlands.  It's just something to consider if you've done everything else and what every last hp possible.

« Last Edit: April 29, 2016, 02:23:16 pm by Pudding »

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline StuF

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 31
  • -Receive: 38
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,90017.0.html
« Reply #26 on: April 29, 2016, 03:31:49 pm »
I am running a totally standard setup in the engine apart from the intake - only reason?
I like the noise it makes  :happy2:

Where Napoleons armies marched with horse and musket and Hitlers Reich crumbled in blood and rubble, the warriors of Armageddon do battle against the landscape of hell now indeed thrive the ARMOURERS

Offline r5gtt

• Thank You
« Reply #27 on: April 29, 2016, 03:43:27 pm »
AJP do you really really need one?.

Some are running 300bhp with OEM and a panel filter and say the CAI isn't worth it. don't take offence as that's what I was crying about when I had issues with mine high revving and late gear changing etc do you remember?.
I'm running 330 with a ITG/VWR panel filter at stage 2. No restriction from the airbox at the moment. I want to see how much power I can get from the airbox before I think about buying the VWR CAI. :smiley:
330 like what the bleep that's some power as ive only ever driven a 300bhp porsche and that was fast for me lol but not as fast as those pocket rockets I owned  :grin:

Offline dronners

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 34
« Reply #28 on: April 29, 2016, 03:48:19 pm »
300+ bhp is easy money with a K04 turbo in place.   i'm hoping for around the high 270's on a K03 with remap and the hardware i have

Offline r5gtt

• Thank You
« Reply #29 on: April 29, 2016, 03:52:12 pm »
My Edition 30 is at 300hp with standard airbox, standard paper filter, standard downpipe and cat back, hell even the spark plugs and coils are standard.   Torque was somewhere around 330lbft if I remember right, but obviously that's midrange and not carried to the limiter  :smiley:

The intake is the last thing I will be doing in my series of mods.   I'm going intercooler first (MK6 R) and APR downpipe + map tweaks, and then I'll see what the old girl throws at the rollers then.

I hate induction noise.  Even if there was a proven 40hp gain (which VW Racing claim for their intake, incidentally), I would still use the factory airbox  :smiley:   I'm not greedy  :innocent:

In all seriousness, there are definitely gains to be had from an intake, providing the extra burnt gases can escape equally fast, so the exhaust should always be done first on a turbo engine.  A really good intake will make it feel a bit less strangled at the top end, otherwise you won't feel a lot.  It's mostly noise.  Most of them blunt the initial responsiveness of the engine at the lower rpms.

The factory box is a complete pain in the backside, don't get me wrong.  Extremely picky with the MAF housing and sits right above a roasting hot cat converter....but as said, that natty little engine cover easily flows enough for 300+ shetlands.  It's just something to consider if you've done everything else and what every last hp possible.
So in all fairness for some it's just for show and sound like I had lol