Make a donation

Author Topic: Bonnet stuck closed  (Read 12235 times)

Offline jon_hill

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 3
    • Email
Re: Bonnet stuck closed
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2016, 08:41:05 am »
My bonnet latch did exactly the same thing 18 months ago  :doh: Earynsigns of trouble was a lack of tension on the release handle in the car, and a bonnet that required some encouragement to stay shut.

Removed the mechanism from the slam panel completely, soaked it in cleaner, flushed with airline and re-lubed everything thoroughly (including the release cable) and it's been tip top ever since...

Offline lincolnshirepoacher

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2016, 05:44:57 pm »
Help mine doing the same i have removed badge but can't see the release URGENT NOW!! Thanks in advance

nkp

« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2016, 03:20:11 pm »
In the past when i've had bonnets get stuck shut i get someone to pull on the release lever whilst i push down on the bonnet at the same time. Can take a few goes but in the end the bonnet does pop up.

Dave859

« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2018, 01:53:30 pm »
I have the problem, can't open the bonnet on my golf 07 petrol 1.6. is there a easy method of opening it? I can here the cable moving by the lock mechanism but it just won't pop open. The stealers want £300 + too do the job but I think I could get the parts from eBay for £60 a do it myself if only I could get it open.

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk

Offline akispap

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 3
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2018, 01:46:37 am »
This was my first problem when i bought my car. I couldn't open the bonnet, not only because it was stuck, but from excess pulling the handle had come off. I managed to put everything in place, gave it a good clean and grease, hopefully it will last me until i buy a new mechanism.

Offline GitFlog

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 14
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2018, 11:09:33 am »
I had the same problem with my bonnet, but mine wouldn't pop as well.

Turned out the plastic cable guide neat the lock had come unclipped from the metal and the bonnet handle was seizing.

Easy fix took the badge off and popped the bonnet that way and then went onto re clip the plastic cable guide in place. That sorted it popping felt like new after i had done.

The i pulled the bonnet handle off completely and gave it a bloody good clean and a good lube with waterproof lube. Then i put it back on, be careful when putting it back on it can slide left or right, make sure it is bang in the centre of the locking mechanism other wise you will warp your bonnet and it will jar in the lock.

Problem sorted :jumpmove:
2017 Vw Golf R Mk7.5
310ps
Lapiz Blue
Black Vienna Leather Interior
19" Pretoria Alloy Wheels
Dynamic Chassis Control