Make a donation

Author Topic: ChrisGT's Black 5 door GT TDI 170  (Read 76581 times)

Offline ChrisGT

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 40
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,106577.0.html
Re: ChrisGT's Black 5 door GT TDI 170
« Reply #135 on: April 29, 2017, 10:33:12 pm »
Hi Chris have you got the link for the gearbox mount please?

Hi, I think I bought mine direct from powerflex but they have them on demon tweeks, amazon and awesomegti for all about the same price.

Be careful to get the right colour as they do different ones yellow for petrol, red for diesel and blue or black race ones. They also changed the mounts slightly for cars after mid 2008 so make sure to get the right one. All the info is on the powerflex website here:

https://www.powerflex.co.uk/road-series/products/Golf+MK5+1K-737/1.html

and here is a link to them on Awesomegti:

https://www.awesomegti.com/shop-by-brand/powerflex/powerflex-lower-dogbone-mount-insert-kit-pff85-504-pff85-704/

Chris
« Last Edit: May 02, 2017, 06:24:24 am by ChrisGT »
It wouldn't be fun if it was easy, I just wish it wasn't this much fun.

Offline ChrisGT

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #136 on: May 02, 2017, 10:04:31 pm »
Golf ticked over the 70k mark today. The day I bought it then it ticked over 60k so almost exactly 10k in a year (it's a year plus about a week).

MOT tomorrow and hopefully should go through without any trouble. Gave it a good hoover out this evening and will give it a wash in the morning, I know it won't make any odds to the MOT but it's always nice to have a clean car, especially when other people are looking at it that closely.  :happy2:

Chris

Offline ChrisGT

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #137 on: May 03, 2017, 06:21:59 pm »
Woohoo!!! Always nice when it passes it's MOT with no surprise advisories.  :jumpmove: :jumpmove:

There was an advisory for the other front ARB drop link has a dust seal slightly perished but still preventing the ingress of dirt but have a new one already so will change that soon.

Another advisory for brake discs being scored and rusty (particularly on the edges and inside faces) I saw that when it was up on my friends lift the other day so was already planning on getting a new set of discs and pads as well as a new rear caliper as one of them is a bit stuck so going to replace it.

Might even get the calipers painted red while I've got them off to do the discs and pads.

But pleased with that, I knew about the couple of things they've mentioned and no surprises so that's always good.

Chris

Offline Pirelli_Reece

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 4
  • 2008 Pirelli Edition GTI
    • Email
« Reply #138 on: May 03, 2017, 06:56:44 pm »
Woohoo!!! Always nice when it passes it's MOT with no surprise advisories.  :jumpmove: :jumpmove:

There was an advisory for the other front ARB drop link has a dust seal slightly perished but still preventing the ingress of dirt but have a new one already so will change that soon.

Another advisory for brake discs being scored and rusty (particularly on the edges and inside faces) I saw that when it was up on my friends lift the other day so was already planning on getting a new set of discs and pads as well as a new rear caliper as one of them is a bit stuck so going to replace it.

Might even get the calipers painted red while I've got them off to do the discs and pads.

But pleased with that, I knew about the couple of things they've mentioned and no surprises so that's always good.

Chris
Always good when you don't get any nasty surprises. I work at VW and it's horrible sometimes having to tell people all the things their cars have failed on!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline ChrisGT

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #139 on: May 03, 2017, 07:13:16 pm »
Yeah,

I've had a few MOT's like that with previous cars. My old mk3 golf once dropped all it's coolant in the middle of it's MOT.  :doh: Still passed though. haha!

Had a look at your members thread, your Pirelli edition is awesome!  :drinking:

Chris

Offline ChrisGT

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #140 on: May 03, 2017, 07:25:30 pm »
Here's the advisory sheet, it just mentions the front offside disc but they're all pretty rough on the inside faces and outer edges so just going to replace them all. The parking brake performance that it mentions is because of the stuck caliper, the nearside he said was really good but the offside one was only just a pass so that's why I'm getting the new caliper.

Chris

Offline ChrisGT

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #141 on: May 03, 2017, 08:53:19 pm »
Gave the golf a good wash and quick coat of Gtechniq C2 for being good and passing it's MOT. haha

Not looking too bad for a 10 year old car.

Chris

Offline ChrisGT

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #142 on: May 08, 2017, 11:48:37 pm »
Managed to get loads done on the golf today, again massive thanks to Murray and the use of his lift! New discs, pads and a new rear caliper. Also gave the calipers a really good clean up and will hopefully have time to paint them soon. Will put up a proper update tomorrow with the pictures.

One other little thing arrived today:

Just something silly but I like it, pleased with how standard it looks, most people will probably never notice it. Now I need to get one for the other blank. Not sure if I should get another eject or if I should get one of the oil slick ones or something.

Chris

Offline ChrisGT

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #143 on: May 09, 2017, 04:45:55 pm »
New discs and pads fitted all around, new offside rear caliper plus a bit of new brake pipe, wire brushed and then painted the rear dust shields with a quick coat of black paint to protect them a little longer and can only get to them when the discs were off. Calipers cleaned with needle gun and then air powered wire wheel to give them a good freshen up ready for painting which I'll hopefully manage to do in the next few weeks. They'll just need a good wash, quick once over with wire brush again and then some IPA before primer and paint.

Some pictures, all from Iphone 4 so not the best quality but you get the idea.

So this is the front offside disc which was the advisory on the MOT last week. as you can see the inside face of it is pretty bad, the outside face didn't look too bad but it was definitely time for them to be changed as it had quite a bad lip and quite deep waves/grooves on both faces:

Inside face:

Outside face, this was the worst part of the outer lip:

Rear dust sheilds are both pretty corroded on the bottom edges but mounting points all seem to be fairly solid so gave them a quick once over with a wire brush and then some black paint to protect them a little:

Before:

After, not perfect but a lot better and hopefully will help it last a bit longer:

Front caliper 50/50 cleaned up:

Front caliper fully cleaned up:

New rear disc, pads, caliper and brake pipe (just the little solid pipe that goes from caliper to flexible pipe - I wouldn't have known where to start with that but Murray just made one up in a couple of minutes  :drinking: ):

New front disc, pads and caliper all cleaned up:

all back together and back on the ground looking much better:

Can't wait to paint the calipers red as they'll look so much nicer but even just cleaned up they look a lot better.

The new brakes feel really nice, obviously only done about 20 miles with them but they're silky smooth with plenty of progressive bite. Really impressed with the delphi stuff that I got, well packaged, came with everything you needed, little fitting kit bits etc and seems to be nice quality.

Couldn't have done it without my friend Murray and having the car up on the lift just makes life so much easier!

Chris

Offline ChrisGT

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #144 on: May 11, 2017, 05:42:05 pm »
Bit of Gtechniq C2v3 beading, it's amazing how well this product works and how long it lasts for just being a spray on/wipe off product.

I've also spent a bit of time going back through this thread and have edited my first post to make a thread guide and mods list so if anyone is looking for something in particular that I have done then it should be easier to find. I'll try and keep it updated as I do more as I do have quite a few more plans for the car and will post part numbers/useful info in there too. :happy2:

Chris

Offline ChrisGT

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #145 on: May 17, 2017, 07:58:51 pm »
Been a productive day!

Managed to get my brake calipers all painted and i'm over the moon with how they look now. I did most of the cleaning work a couple of weeks ago when I replaced the discs and pads but the calipers had started to rust over again and the hubs on the new discs were getting quite rusty already too so gave them all a quick clean and then painted the hubs and edges of the discs with silver hammerite and the calipers with red caliper paint. Cleaned and painted a few other bits and pieces like suspension struts and dust shields while I had the wheels off too.

So here are some pictures from my day:

Calipers rusting over again were cleaned with a wire brush and some 800 grit sandpaper then wiped down with holts brake cleaner to make sure they were super clean ready for paint.

Before:

After:

Painted, spring retainer clip sanded and painted with black hammerite:

Painted suspension strut:

Fronts all done and deep cleaned wheels back on:

Rear hubs going rusty:

After a scrub with some 800 grit sandpaper:

Rears painted:

Rear wheels back on:

Couple of closer finished shots:
Fronts:

Rears:

Both:

Cheers,

Chris
« Last Edit: May 17, 2017, 11:04:34 pm by ChrisGT »

Offline ChrisGT

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #146 on: May 17, 2017, 08:21:10 pm »
Deep cleaned the wheels while they were off for painting the calipers, I polished them and then sealed them with Gtechniq C5 and EXO when I first got them and before fitting them to the car so they were super easy to clean this time and came up really well.

I used a Vikan wheel brush,
Bilberry Wheel cleaner (non acidic so isn't as harsh on the wheels),
Iron X.

50/50:

Bilberry wheel cleaner and Vikan brush:

Iron X left to dwell for a few minutes, not a huge amount of contamination:

Washed with Bilberry wheel cleaner again and given a good rinse off. The little spots that are left are tar but There wasn't that much and I wanted to get on with my brakes so left it for now but will give them a going over again soon and remove it then:

Faces all cleaned in the same order:

I then left them to dry while finishing my brakes and put some Gtechniq tyre and trim on the tyre sidewalls to give them a little shine as can be seen in my last post with the brakes painted.

My H&R front anti roll bar also arrived after buying it from a forum member, thanks again @Biano44 . Going to get it fitted once I have a rear one to be fitted at the same time (hopefully that and a set of H&R lowering springs going to be bought soon):

Cheers,

Chris

« Last Edit: May 19, 2017, 09:03:31 am by ChrisGT »

Offline ChrisGT

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #147 on: May 18, 2017, 04:19:09 pm »
Stunning day here today so went for a little spin in the golf and got a nice picture of it:

Chris

Offline ChrisGT

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #148 on: May 18, 2017, 10:06:05 pm »
Oil change done tonight at 70500 miles with Quantum dpf safe low ash oil. Also gave it a flush with forte new generation engine flush before dropping the old oil and then put in Forte oil system protector additive with the new oil. I never usually do an engine flush when changing the oil but my mechanic friend said it was a good idea so if he says it's worth it then I trust that.

Engine flush going in with the old oil, car left to idle for a while to let it get around the system and apparently helps remove varnishing and gunky deposits:

Old oil dropped out:

Oil system protector additive which went in with the new oil:

While my car was sitting idling then I helped my friend Murray, who has just bought a mk5 gt tdi 170 with a few bits on his car. He fitted the hardware for the boot pop kit and then I used VCDS to code the centre button on the key fob to make it pop the boot. I also switched off the selective door locking/unlocking as well as activating the horn/alarm chirp when locking/unlocking the car. We also fitted an LED interior light kit to his car.

Here's a photo of the two of them, my car idling at the lift and can see the footwell LED's have been Done on Murrays:

Chris

Offline ChrisGT

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #149 on: May 25, 2017, 06:32:11 pm »
Removed the seats and gave everything a good wet vac. The interior wasn't bad at all but it's amazing how much the wet vac can extract. In total I found £2.27 and 1 Norwegian Krone  :grin: It was pretty dusty down the inside edge of the seats and the only way to get to it properly is to remove them, only 4 screws and a couple of electrical connectors (One of which is for the seat side airbags so battery was disconnected before hand and connector taped up to avoid any accidental discharge oooer!  :scared:)

A few pictures:

This was with the drivers seat removed:

Cleaned:

Passenger side seat removed:

Cleaned:

Drivers seat doesn't look too bad but a little bit of dirt ingrained in the fabric:

This was just from the drivers seat  :surprised: :surprised:

And the rest of the car:

Didn't really get any finished pictures but looks much better.

Also ordered some new bleed nipples as I'm going to be replacing the brake fluid soon and the nipples on the calipers look a bit worse for wear so going to replace them:

Chris