Make a donation

Author Topic: iPhone Car Kit  (Read 2043 times)

Ifti

iPhone Car Kit
« on: January 14, 2010, 06:06:20 pm »
Wasnt sure where to put this, so apologies if its in the wrong section.

I want a car holder, similar to TomTom car kit, but I refuse to spend £100 on one!!

I have a Parrot bluetooth kit in my car, and my iPhone is paired to it for voice calls - so I dont need any built in gizmo's etc.

All I want is a car kit that I can attach to the dash (not the windscreen). I will probably put it to the right of the steering wheel, just above the vent, since the dash is pretty flat there. I want a car kit that I can turn from portrait to landscape for when I want to use the TomTom sat nav.

Any recommendations?
It needs to look pretty decent at the least!!

Thanks in advance.

Offline mclovin

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 8
Re: iPhone Car Kit
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2010, 09:25:02 am »
These are pretty good:

http://www.dsldevelopments.com/brodit/holder/Apple+iPhone%203G-Brodit-Holder.asp

They have one that swivels so you can use it with the TomTom app, I used to have the "padded" Brodit iPhone holder in my BMW 330ci and it was really well made, the logo sticker was a bit nasty but that just peels off. I used mine together with a "Dashmount" holder to fit it to the car, but Brodit do their own mounts that also require no drilling, so the choice is yours.

Ifti

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2010, 06:27:48 pm »
That looks pretty good! Cheers!

Ifti

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2010, 08:37:15 pm »
Im thinking of getting the proclip that goes into the vent....

http://www.amazon.co.uk/DSL-Brodit-Volkswagen-Brodit-ProClip-Center/dp/B001LYJC58/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1263673870&sr=8-1

Would this cause any damage to my vent in the long term??

Offline mclovin

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 8
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2010, 03:32:43 pm »
Difficult to say really, the Brodit Proclips are plastic IIRC, so should be less "harmful" than the Dashmount ones, but they do rely on clipping in between the dash and the vent which means over time you can create a bit of a gap there depending on the type of plastics used to make the dash/vent. That said, I had the dashmount one fitted to the far right airvent of my E46 BMW for over a year and it didn't leave a mark at all when I removed it...