Make a donation

Author Topic: Best polish and wax for black ?  (Read 11398 times)

Offline Johnny_tro

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 12
Best polish and wax for black ?
« on: May 30, 2016, 11:01:23 am »
What do you guys think, once detailed what do you recommend for a good polish (pre wax) and a wax to seal? Metallic black
'VANDALISED' MK5 GT :( - RNS510 H, Bluetooth Armrest, MDI, 50gb hard drive, I can't park  sensors, Cruise Control, Highline Display, MFSW, Heated Seats, Remote Aux Heating System (Heats and Vents) Winter Pack, Heated & Folding Mirrors, Puddle Lights, Xenons, Headlamp Washers, Heated Washers, Auto lights and wipers, LED's, GTI brakes,, black R32 roof lining, Scirocco Rear View, Rear Footwell Lights

Offline GTI8v

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 11
    • Email
Re: Best polish and wax for black ?
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2016, 01:30:32 pm »
I'll be watching this with interest. I just seem to use anything that looks nice! Used Poor Boys World Natty's paste.
Can't vouch for longevity, but certainly looks good when finished and beads well in the rain, so must be good!
Before that used this http://www.meguiars.com/en/automotive/products/g6207-black-wax/#G58E1QQ5DV6kZjEo.97 but thought I'd lost it so bought the poor boys stuff  :thinking:

dansmith180

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2016, 10:48:43 pm »
FYI the word detailed should only be used once the car has been cleaned, fully polished and coated. Americans call giving the car a wash 'detailing' and it dilutes the meaning of the word.

Polish wise it depends if you're using a machine or by hand, if by hand then you will never remove marks so your best bet is to fill them with a glaze such as Poorboys black hole.

If by machine then a very easy single stage is Carpro essence, otherwise you're into correction which is another story.

Then wax again depends what you're after, high shine finish Dodo Juice Purple Haze will look mint but last a few weeks tops. Longevity Collinite 915 still leaves a great finish but lasts 6 months with ease. Bouncers waxes leave an amazing finish an do last 6-12 weeks generally.

Offline ChrisGT

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 40
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,106577.0.html
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2016, 12:39:01 am »
As dansmith180 says then in order to give you some advice on options then you'll need to clarify what you mean by "detailed". If you're getting it detailed by a pro for example then they will be the best person to recommend how to maintain the paint depending on what procedures and products they have used to detail it. If you're meaning the car will be getting a good wash, decontamination (detar, clay etc) and then you need something to protect it then there are literally thousands of options.

If you're looking for a polish to fill in some defects to hide them rather than remove them I would suggest, as well as the ones above, autofinesse triple. I've used this a few times and had very good results. However these results don't really last as over time the fillers wash out of the defects and they start to show again. You also can't use some final stage products like Gtechniq c1/exo as they need completely bare paint in order to bond to the surface, polishes with fillers prevent this bond.

As far as a wax I really like collinite 915. It lasted for several months where I live which is a very harsh climate, it beads up nicely when it gets wet and it gives a lovely deep look to the paint.

Another option instead of a wax would be a spray on sealant like Gtechniq C2V3 which is essentially a spray on wipe off last stage product that I have found, in my own experience, to outlast and outperform most/all waxes. By that I mean it will last longer without needing re-applied, will bead off water better and also repel dirt better, therefore keeping the car looking great for longer.  :smiley:

Cheers,

Chris
It wouldn't be fun if it was easy, I just wish it wasn't this much fun.

Offline Grunt894

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2016, 09:30:24 pm »
Sorry to hijack but would you suggest the same for silver?

Offline Johnsy

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 7
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2016, 09:46:39 pm »
Recently done mine with Nanolex:-Nanowax and Fusso99 Darklight

Offline JamieUK

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2016, 11:05:46 pm »
Poorboys black hole FTW!

Offline Beej

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 23
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2016, 07:21:48 pm »
I have used poorboys black hole on a number of different cars, but found it made little difference on vw paint and was advised to get Prima Amigo, and it really is very very good, but this is only a glaze, not really a polish or a wax, that being said, it gives really good results to freshly clayed paintwork that doesn't really require any correction work, but just some filling.

As to wax, I am currently using either ODK Glamour or Victoria wax. Both easy to work with, however, I do find the odk a little easier to remove
« Last Edit: June 06, 2016, 07:25:38 pm by Beej »

Offline Boothy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 32
  • All donations accepted, thanks.
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2016, 08:23:44 pm »
Mine isn't metallic but I've just discovered Fusso99 12 month wax. It's awesome! The water characteristics are mind blowing and after a good polish it's brought mine up a treat. On my older metallic paint I found Jeff's Werkstat Acrylic to be the best. It just didn't bead up very well.

Offline lukemk5gti

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 28
  • -Receive: 118
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,89715.msg907250.html#msg907250
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2016, 09:54:09 pm »
Glossworks glaze under a sealant will give a black car a wet look

Offline molineux1980

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2016, 10:47:59 pm »
Watching with interest - I currently have 3 cars, and they are all black! Mk5 Gti, Mazda 6 and Fiesta Zetec S.

Offline Rippers

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 20
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,105772.0.html
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2016, 10:58:47 am »
Another shout for Poor Boys Black Hole Glaze and then sealed with Nattys paste.

Some pics on my build thread, comes up like glass and thats being done by hand.

Offline Kai96

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 23
  • -Receive: 17
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2016, 12:29:19 pm »
Not a wax but for me this is the best product I've used for giving my car a great finish, the beading is good to. http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/sealants/chemical-guys-wet-mirror-finish/prod_339.html

Offline bonelorry

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 72
  • -Receive: 44
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2016, 11:02:40 am »
Megs 2 Stage 105/205 with Collinites No:845 Wax  :happy2:

Offline Ramigojag

• Taking part
  • Thank You