Make a donation

Author Topic: Michelin Pilot Sport 4  (Read 11274 times)

Offline th3_f15t

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 66
  • -Receive: 183
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,101525.0.html
Michelin Pilot Sport 4
« on: June 15, 2016, 09:18:25 pm »
I've had these tyres on my Golf 6R for a fair few miles now, driven around half the UK on them and through some pretty varied weather so I'd thought I'd post my thoughts about them for others to digest. I'm not going to compare them to anything other than the previous generation, Pilot Sport 3's as I've not driven on any other tyres on a Golf so I can't fairly compare them.

General Driving & Motorway Cruising

For a low profile tyre, they quite comfortable and quiet on day to day duties. Fuel economy is improved slightly over PS3's too which is always helpful in a Golf 6R...

Wet Weather

In recent weeks I've driven through some pretty awful conditions, some points driving through standing water on A-roads where the visibility was zero (literally, it was like a rally splash, couldn't see a thing). One thing I noticed is the wet grip really is there on these tyres. I've often found myself driving very similar to my dry speeds even with standing water on the roads. Even when hitting water at speed, I never felt the car aquaplaning or wanting to let go and give up. Even taking into account the weight and 4motion systems of a 6R they insire very good confidence.

Dry Weather & Performance Driving

Stage 2+ and Porsche Cayenne brakes are they main punishments from the tyres on my 6R and these Michelin's really cope with the abuse well. I've driven them in anger around some twisty roads, given them a try with launch control and also done some pretty harsh braking. Every time they've held onto the road well beyond the point my confidence did, they really grip well considering they aren't track focused tyres.

Final Thoughts

They're priced a little about competition but if they last as long as my PS3's did given their life style, I'd say they're worth the premium. Michelin is a name you can trust and these PS4's really go a long way to further cementing their reputation as a good, reliable tyre for general all round use. I'd seriously take these on track with me, confident that they'll be up to the task and then drive home in a storm with equal confidence.

Of course, I would like to see if other people who run these have equal views or have tested them in other ways to me, comments below are welcome. Especially those who have had other brands before. Discuss... :drinking:

Moving over to Flickr, sorry for the broken picture links!

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
Re: Michelin Pilot Sport 4
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2016, 05:45:21 pm »
I'm going to say my 2p. I need to preface it by saying I've had PS2, F1, PSS and PS4 on the same wheels, and PS exalto and PS3 on my summer wheels. I had the PSS last summer on the front tyres. They were amazing and as good as PS2 in dry weather but better in the wet. They then needed replacing and couldn't be ordered so I fitted my winter tyres which was late october, coinciding with the cold weather. I've been on winter tyres until a few weeks ago because I was hanging on for the PSS.

Couldn't get hold of PSS, didn't want to drive winter tyres in summer so I got PS4s fitted. Still got F1s on the rear.

I agree for day to day driving, they're fine. Marginally better than the F1s which I found flexed too much in the side wall when going round corners. I've been pleased with them in the dry weather. Where I'm not as impressed is in the wet weather. Had cause to brake hard on wet tyres. The PSS and F1s were better IMO than the PS4. We have had recent wet weather and I admit I probably need to spend a few more hundred miles driving but currently I'm not as blown away as I was by the PSS. In my limited experience, the PS2 and the PSS were the best tyres I've ever had.

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Offline K9

• Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 14
  • VW LifeStyle
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2016, 05:09:27 pm »
thinking of buying 4 new tires for the .:R Pilot sport 4 225/40/18

Offline th3_f15t

• Thank You
  • -Given: 66
  • -Receive: 183
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,101525.0.html
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2016, 08:38:40 am »
You won't be unhappy with them, that's for sure.

Moving over to Flickr, sorry for the broken picture links!

dansmith180

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2016, 08:29:43 pm »
I've had my ones (all 4 corners) on for about 750miles now and as we all know the weather has been all over the place  :signLOL:

When it comes to daily driving and 'fairly' spirited driving you can't really tell the difference between these an PSS's, they're fantastic in the rain including standing water just like the PSS and better than the F1 AS2's which I always found a bit floaty in big rain and standing water.

However when it comes to HARD driving I found them a bit numb and it felt as though the car was heavier. Now I'm not sure if the pressures are wrong or maybe I'm not used to the car as its been a while but I just couldn't feel the limit of the grip until it was a bit late  :driver: :scared: :signLOL:. Twice I went into roundabouts very quickly (which would have been on the edge but fine on PSS) and just wasn't sure where the limit of the grip was until I was already sliding. Also I noticed it was more of a 4 wheel drift than under steering.

I need some more time and wait until its mapped so I can drive like I usually do (I can't use the throttle as I usually would on my base map) then I can be fully sure on how I feel about them.

Offline Adam0604

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 34
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,97534.0.html
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2016, 11:51:03 am »
100% agree with all comments mentioned, particularly who the handling is in the wet. During the flooding we have had around the Midlands last week or two, there has been a lot of standing water on the roads. I've hit the standing water at 70 at times, and the car has barely moved at all. Round twisty roads as well, the grip is just there for you.

Definitely recommend the tyres, and Unless they have increased in price from when I bought mine at 92 a corner, I don't think that is overpricing above their close competition.

Offline ReDBull

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 17
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2016, 12:15:46 pm »
I have these on my 911. I've not done many mile with them but I'm very happy with them. Especially the grip in wet weather conditions.
I have spoken to someone who knows someone (l know, I know!) high up at Michelin Uk. He rates them very highly to the point he'd rather have the PS4 than the PSS. Due to the longevity of the due compound, being better in the wet and as good in the dry.

Offline andyy

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2016, 01:52:27 pm »
I think I will be going for these next! Thanks for the write up!

Offline malc101

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2017, 11:10:28 pm »
I am a fan of pilot sport tyres. Had them on my both my car's (mk2 mx5) and just about to replace the 3s with I assume the 4s on the Ed30. 3s done over 25k and they have handled everything well. Another vote by me. If that counts for anything lol

Sent from my ONE A2003 using Tapatalk

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2017, 11:43:33 am »
What has surprised me most about the PS4 is their cold weather performance.  Even down to -4 air temp on damp unsalted roads, they felt reassuring.   The F1s I had on previously were pretty much useless below +4 degrees.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline denis

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2020, 11:07:40 pm »
thinking of buying 4 new tires for the .:R Pilot sport 4 225/40/18
I equally bought some tires with them...There way cool...just give it a try....

Offline imprezzaworks

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 6
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2020, 04:45:39 pm »
Will more than likely be buying these soon