Make a donation

Author Topic: Tdi sleeper  (Read 13842 times)

Offline Joelewis55

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
Tdi sleeper
« on: June 19, 2016, 03:24:15 pm »
I'm new to the forum, had my golf a year now and really pleased with it! I have came from having a polo obsession (6 including a turbo'd g40) when I was younger to growing up and finding a liking for dirty diesels. Which helps as a travel a fair bit now.
Got it standard when I worked at volkswagen main dealer on 80,000 miles. Did a history check and found out it had the full engine replaced at 20,000 miles due to taking in water. Since then I've added a few little bits myself.
Here's what I've done so far:
Shark fin ariel
Kenwood dnx525dab head unit
Fitted cruise control
Front wings replaced by vwEd30 rear bumper
Passat alloy front arms poly bushed camber adjustable bushes
Passat r36 rear arb (not yet fitted)
Audi tts front brakes
Smoothed front number plate surround with black badge
De cat downpipe, egr delete, remap to 185bhp
Short shift gear linkage and Mk6 golf R gear knob
Here's a few pictures nothing special...

« Last Edit: May 19, 2019, 11:38:24 pm by Joelewis55 »

Offline Andy

• Admin
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 442
    • Email
Re: Grey gttdi
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2016, 05:35:13 pm »
Welcome to the forum from another gttdi owner,some good mods so far you have done

Offline Joelewis55

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2016, 07:56:28 pm »
Now fitted my r36 rear anti roll bar not expecting much of a difference but it works really well with the poly bushed front end and powerflex anti lift kit.
Koni rear shocks are next on the list as I've got one leaking (as per usual on these). Here's some car park pics..

Offline ChrisGT

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 40
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,106577.0.html
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2016, 01:15:12 am »
Looks great, very clean, Good mods too.

Got any other plans for mods?

Chris (another gt tdi owner  :drinking:)
It wouldn't be fun if it was easy, I just wish it wasn't this much fun.

Offline Joelewis55

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2016, 01:37:24 pm »
Yes Chris, I want a gtb1756 turbo kit and full exhaust. Hopefully be done by the end of the year. Looking at getting the kit from profideisel at mapping at narco hopefully to around 240bhp

Offline Andy

• Admin
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2016, 05:05:43 pm »
Been looking at narco maps and they get good reviews

Offline Joelewis55

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2016, 09:54:51 pm »
Added a intake silicone hose as my plastic one was split, and a little sticker... oh and MY BIG TURBO ARRIVED! Getting fitted next week and mapping Tuesday more to follow.

Offline Joelewis55

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
    • Email
Re: Grey gttdi 250bhp
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2016, 11:16:24 am »
So gtb1756 went on nicely, took it over to narco tuning and got them to map it and make an oil return pipe, left it with them, got a phone call the next day saying it's all sorted and it's made 250bhp! They had to limit the torque due to standard clutch and flywheel so as soon as that's replaced it can be adjusted.
So first impressions I'm very pleased with it, little smoke, pulls so hard from around 2000rpm all the way round now! Rev's so well and is such a smooth drive still really happy with it.

Offline dodds-gttdi

• Thank You
  • -Given: 22
  • -Receive: 34
  • Edinburgh
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2016, 12:04:19 pm »
Wow, it's quite the sleeper. Love that it looks like a bog standard 140/170. Any plans for the outside/body?

Good to see another dieseler on here. I've been through a 140 GTTDi (182bhp), a 170 GTTDi (204bhp) and now onto a Octavia vRS CR (210bhp).

Offline Paradox1

• Thank You
  • -Given: 41
  • -Receive: 82
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2016, 12:23:17 pm »
Not a fan of diesels but i do like this!!

Can just imagine the faces of drivers when you fly past them :D

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 392
  • -Receive: 316
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2016, 03:55:44 pm »
Looks like a nice map. What made you go for the 1756 over a 2260? Would you need more hardware upgrades?

Anyway, I can imagine that drives very nicely. Funny how there doesn't seem to be a huge difference in the curves of a GTB BKD and a k03 GTI at similar power. The petrol car will obviously rev a bit more, but I reckon your car would have a good go against mine (maybe before the Stage 2 map)

Offline Joelewis55

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2016, 01:43:45 am »
Not really any major plans for bodywork atm, I like the idea of it being a bit of a sleeper.
Went for that turbo because I feel like it's all I need, ticked all the right boxes.
Yeah a friend who not a fan of diesels said it feels like a petrol. The way it Rev's and picks up.
I'm looking for gti rear brake setup if anyone knows of anything for sale? cheers Joe

Offline Andy

• Admin
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2016, 02:29:18 pm »
looks good Joe and the like the graph of the new turbo

Offline Stupots

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 18
  • -Receive: 35
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2016, 08:54:19 am »
Hi @Joelewis55 loving that dyno printout! I'm in the dilemma where I don't know if I should go GTB2260 on tubular manifold initially with standard injectors for around 230BHP with the prospect of 300BHP with +120% injectors and Sachs SRE clutch next year, or just be sensible and go cast manifold + 1756 and stock clutch with similar figures to you. I guess your turbo and map has cost less than 1000 quid?

Cheers

Stu
2006 VW Golf Mk5 Sport TDI 4Motion (140 BKD)

Offline Joelewis55

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2017, 08:52:37 pm »
Done some more bits to this recently, need to take a few more pictures but here's what I've done.
Firstly I had a boost hose split, the turbo outlet pipe so replaced that, pictures also show the insert I removed to fit onto the larger turbo.

Then I got a 2.5" straight through exhaust system (to match the 2.5"decat downpipe) made with a single silencer and a centre hidden tip. Still need to get photos of this but it makes a nice sound especially with the popcorn limiter. Although not too loud when normal driving so perfect really!
But I was still losing boost so I got an s3 alloy intercooler and fitted that. No pic's but you all know what it looks like and it's hidden anyway.
Then my clutch started slipping and dual mass was rattling. Ive done 10,000 miles since bigger turbo was fitted, unknown milage on standard clutch but I have done 35,000 on it with between 180bhp and 250bhp (140bhp standard). So I fitted a darkside billet single mass and sachs race clutch kit.

Pedal is heavier and you do get a rattle at idle up to around 1500rpm then it dissappear's.
Diffinately felt a big difference with this cars pulls a lot harder. So with this fitted I can go back for mapping adjustments at Narco.
Hopefully with the less restricted exhaust, s3 intercooler and new clutch + flywheel set up I can get a few more ponies and torque should increase from 320lb/ft to around 400lb/ft!
Still keeping it stealthy

Future plans after mapping on Monday are to do a top end rebuild, as engine has done 100,000miles now. So will be replacing all gaskets and seals cleaning head ports etc and also adding darkside developments stronger valve springs as it likes to rev so much. Contemplated arp head studs but don't think they are worth it.
Let me know what you think, I will post pictures of exhaust and new dyno figures on Monday hopefully.