Make a donation

Author Topic: xs2man's Mk5 GTI Edition 30...  (Read 9764 times)

Offline xs2man

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 18
  • -Receive: 15
Re: xs2man's Mk5 GTI Edition 30...
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2016, 05:38:44 pm »
So my first "real" mod is done.  Front brakes upgraded to S3 items with genuine 345mm discs and pads.  Nice little upgrade, and as soon as I learn how to not faceplant the steering wheel at every junction, I'll be happy.  And maybe look at the rears too.

Yesterday I finally treated the glass...

Followed by new wipers all round.

Then today, finally got round to getting stuck into the wheels.  Not had a chance yet since I bought it.  They came up OK, but the finish on the refurb isn't the best.  Would ideally like them done again, and in a colour less "flat".  Something still silver I would think, but just just a bit more, well, pop I guess?
Anyway, the rest of the car also got a quick clean yesterday for the glass, so just some new pics...

And the S3 stoppers behind clean wheels, lol...

Also, the other day, I changed out all the interior bulbs for LED ones (well, all but the drivers side footwell bulb, that's a pig to pop out, and I was having trouble with the glovebox bulb so the one for the footwell is in there just now).  And the number plate bulbs. 

Looks ok, and easy enough to do.  But not something I would likely be bothered to do again.  The LED's are a bit "cold" I feel.  Still, done now.

Offline Dave J

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 45
  • -Receive: 63
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,55935.0.html
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2016, 10:02:59 pm »
Looks good! Must do my glass before the weather really sets in...
S3 brakes are a good upgrade compared to standard. Know what you mean about the interior LED bulbs - I went for red bulbs in the footwells which maybe balances the coldness of the overhead ones.

What's next on your list?

Edition 30 - no. 1387

Offline ducman77

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 59
  • -Receive: 54
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2016, 10:20:35 pm »
Gorgeous car :happy2: Great spec too :wink:

And it's even in the best colour! (Not that I'm biased or anything!)

Just a word of warning on the decat. I fitted a full TurboBack 3 inch exhaust with decat to mine and it made lots of nice power and a ridiculous amount of noise!

But the exhaust fumes are overpowering. I cart my kids around in the car and they often have their windows open. Really the car is just too stinky to drive with the windows open :scared:

I had my original Volkswagen cat on a 3in flange (for MOT purposes) so I put that back on the car. It was sooo much more pleasant to drive but the 2 inch pipe diameter and standard cat were really restrictive on the power.

So I bought a 3 inch high flow cat from magnaflow ( unbelievable value at just £100!) it gave a fantastic result with no more nasty exhaust fumes and almost all the power back that the standard cat had stolen :happy2:

I'm really pleased with it and I think it's a perfect compromise!!

Anyways, just my two cents worth :happy2:

Enjoy the car it looks to be a stunner!
Regards,
Dave

Offline ducman77

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2016, 10:22:08 pm »
Here's a little vid to show the "real life" differences,,,

Offline golfmck1980

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 8
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2016, 10:41:13 pm »
Thats a really good spec u got ive just got a red one myself havent picked it up yet mine is a poverty spec compared to yours though
Edition 30 num 859

Offline xs2man

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2016, 11:34:07 pm »
Looks good! Must do my glass before the weather really sets in...
S3 brakes are a good upgrade compared to standard. Know what you mean about the interior LED bulbs - I went for red bulbs in the footwells which maybe balances the coldness of the overhead ones.

What's next on your list?

Next on the list is probably decat.  Then clutch, then remap.

I fancy a more up to sat nav unit, but don't fancy the expense of a RNS510 + BT.  So have been looking at the RNS315.  But since I don't have MFSW, or highline clocks, I may just go for one of the Kenwood units.

Offline xs2man

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2016, 11:38:55 pm »
Gorgeous car :happy2: Great spec too :wink:

And it's even in the best colour! (Not that I'm biased or anything!)

Just a word of warning on the decat. I fitted a full TurboBack 3 inch exhaust with decat to mine and it made lots of nice power and a ridiculous amount of noise!

But the exhaust fumes are overpowering. I cart my kids around in the car and they often have their windows open. Really the car is just too stinky to drive with the windows open :scared:

I had my original Volkswagen cat on a 3in flange (for MOT purposes) so I put that back on the car. It was sooo much more pleasant to drive but the 2 inch pipe diameter and standard cat were really restrictive on the power.

So I bought a 3 inch high flow cat from magnaflow ( unbelievable value at just £100!) it gave a fantastic result with no more nasty exhaust fumes and almost all the power back that the standard cat had stolen :happy2:

I'm really pleased with it and I think it's a perfect compromise!!

Anyways, just my two cents worth :happy2:

Enjoy the car it looks to be a stunner!
Regards,
Dave

Thanks for the info.  To be honest, the idea behind the decat is purely on price.  But at £100 for a high flow cat, I could be tempted.  My MOT tester is very friendly, so decat isn't a problem there.  But if I can't really drive with the windows open, that could be a potential deal breaker.  Noise I'm not too worried about, but then I do a lot of dual carriageway driving, so perhaps it would be too droney for me.

Thats a really good spec u got ive just got a red one myself havent picked it up yet mine is a poverty spec compared to yours though

Cheers.

Yes, it's the spec that sold me on it.  Well, that and the price.  I've seen higher mileage, lower spec ones for significantly more than I paid for this one.  And this has had some decent work carried out recently too (timing chain and cam follower etc...).  So I am really happy with it.  Should do me for the next couple years anyway.

Offline ducman77

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2016, 10:37:05 am »
But at £100 for a high flow cat, I could be tempted.  My MOT tester is very friendly, so decat isn't a problem there.  But if I can't really drive with the windows open, that could be a potential deal breaker.  Noise I'm not too worried about, but then I do a lot of dual carriageway driving, so perhaps it would be too droney for me.

I had no issue with motorway drone even with the decat, so hopefully you should be ok there :happy2:

Yeah, the Magnaflow is such good value you could trial fit the decat. And then if you're not happy with it down the road you're only looking at about £200 (my place charged me 220euro to supply and fit the cat - needed flanges welded on etc) all up to have the magnaflow fitted :happy2:

Offline S800BRN

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 27
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2016, 07:36:00 am »
Brake envy! This is a mod I will get round to doing at some point for sure.

Offline xs2man

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2016, 11:20:53 am »
So, with the 18's off the Alhambra, and my wheel refurbisher having a deal on this month where he will do a full set of wheels for £130 inc VAT.  I thought it would be rude not to take him up on the offer.

So today, I got round to sticking the B8 wheels on the ED30.  Always wondered what they would look like, with the better offset and all that.

I quite like them on there.  Tyres could do with coming back down to 225's instead of 235's.  Don't know if there is any rubbing yet either as aint driven it yet.  But they do seem to sit better.

Colour could be a few shades lighter too.  Ferric Grey would have been nicer in hindsight.

Offline rdfcpete

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 98
  • -Receive: 52
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2016, 11:28:27 am »
The A4's sit really well man, kinna' look very like the OEM Pirelli wheels from a distance particularly  :grin: :laugh:

Offset looks just right, kinna where mine sit and I've always been happy with that. Not too many people take a chance on other VAG OEM wheels on MK5s particularly in 18"s, but those are cool :happy2:
Pete

RNS-E LED 2012 | Aux-In | AP Coilovers |  Hawk HPS Pads | Revo Stage 1+
Previous: OEM+ 2006 MK5 Golf GTI 2.0T FSI Steel Grey 3 Door

Offline xs2man

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #26 on: November 20, 2016, 12:22:05 pm »
Cheers.

Of course it helps that I had them kicking about anyway.  They were on my Alhambra as its summer wheels, but since it now wears the winter wheels and tyres, these were sitting in the garage anyway.

I still need to sort out a set of winters for this though.  But could be tempted to just put winter tyres on these, and get new summers for the Alhambra (and probably go down to 17" on that, rather than 17" on the ED).

Offline xs2man

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #27 on: July 14, 2017, 11:27:58 pm »
Ok, so I guess I better put some new pics up, since photobucket got aids or something.

Luckily, I have just given the car a wee wash / polish / wax, so is looking respectable for one.

Tailpipes were a bit manky too, so gave them a 15 minute blast with some T-Cut metal polish and a wire brush.

Offline ashtdi

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 2
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,100160.0.html
« Reply #28 on: July 17, 2017, 07:49:30 pm »
looks nice and very clean

My Build Thread - Golf MK5 PD105 1.9 TDI GTB2260VK 260BHP | 420 FTLB
http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,100160.0.html