Make a donation

Author Topic: Seans Graphite Blue GTI  (Read 30910 times)

Offline sean.smithy94

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,107823.0.html
Re: Seans Graphite Blue GTI - Update!
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2016, 10:19:26 am »
Thanks buddy, I appreciate the heads up. Price sounds great. But might steer clear if the quality's not 100%. Looks perfect in the photos mind :happy2:

That's quite alright, people I know who have bought ones off eBay have been happy and for £30 roughly, it's not a bad price so if things arnt quite 100% you can justify it a little.

Yeah it looks good from a distance  :smiley: just don't look at mine too close  :signLOL:

Offline sean.smithy94

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2016, 11:21:21 pm »
Little update, I gave in to my temptations and I bought an oversize ramair intake, can't wait for it to arrive! I'll get some photos and maybe some videos once it's arrived and fitted, can't wait!

Offline ducman77

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 59
  • -Receive: 54
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2016, 10:48:43 am »
Good times :smiley:

I love my oversized RamAir. It's a bit of a pain to fit and at first I wasn't really sure about all the racket it makes.

But now I actually look forward to driving the car so I can plant it WOT above 4K rpm and just bathe in the sound!!

Enjoy :happy2:

Offline sean.smithy94

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2016, 01:50:14 pm »
It's being delivered tomorrow, I'm like a little kid at Christmas  :signLOL:

What problems did you come across when fitting it? And noise wise, I take it it's loud?  :happy2:

Offline Rippers

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 20
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,105772.0.html
« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2016, 01:56:01 pm »
Make sure you put a clean rag in the top of the turbo once the original air intake is off, you dont want to drop any tools down there thats for for sure.

The kit should come with instructions, my Neuspeed did.

Hardest part for me was getting the old one off the turbo, ended up smashing myself in the face with the grips  :signLOL:

Offline ducman77

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2016, 09:17:40 pm »
It's being delivered tomorrow, I'm like a little kid at Christmas  :signLOL:

What problems did you come across when fitting it? And noise wise, I take it it's loud?  :happy2:

It's not too bad in all fairness. It's just that it was late at night and me and my friend were wrecked by the time we got to it!

Issues we encountered were....
1) The big heat shield tray (at the air filter end) didn't actually fit. We had to cut it down a good bit with a hacksaw. It must have been for an Audi or maybe a later model golf? Anyway some hacksaw attention and it fit a treat!!
2) There aren't any instructions for the heat shield that goes above the turbo. You need to remove the two engine cover bungs to uncover the bolt holes for the heat shield. Not hard but fiddly.
3) The bit of rubber pipe that the air filter attaches to was way too long and again required cutting down to size
4) There's lots of jubilee clips and they're proper fiddly :happy2:

If you go at it with a calm head nice and early in the morning I imagine it will be a LOT easier than approaching it after midnight with about 10 red bulls on board like we did :laugh:

Noise wise - it's bananas!!
No induction roar like you get on a naturally aspirated motor. Just loads of quite loud sucky, hoovery noise until you pass 4K rpm at which point it just sounds great!!

I wasn't too sure I liked the noise at first as when you're cruising on a partial throttle it's a bit irritating. But I find it's all worth it when you open the taps!!

Anyways! I'm pleased with it :happy2:

Let us know how you get on!

Make sure you put a clean rag in the top of the turbo once the original air intake is off, you dont want to drop any tools down there thats for for sure.

Hardest part for me was getting the old one off the turbo, ended up smashing myself in the face with the grips  :signLOL:

^^ very good advice here. And...... Ouch  :laugh:

Offline Martk19871

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 27
  • -Receive: 14
  • Va Va Voom
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,100145.msg983012.html#msg983012
« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2016, 09:40:13 pm »

Yeah getting the old turbo pipe off was a right pain in the arse when fitting my Revo! There is a rubber piece that fits to the bottom of the pipe that stayed on the turbo and had to remove that separately, that happen to you?

Enjoy the new intake! Do you get any squealing? I get some with my Revo intake but apparently all normal, only happens when putting my foot right down.

Offline sean.smithy94

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2016, 09:54:10 pm »
Thanks for your advice all!  Ill be fitting it tomorrow after work, I get home around 5 in the afternoon so hopefully all will go okay!  Ill let you know how i get on, all of you be on hand tomorrow around 5 incase i get in some trouble  :signLOL:

Offline ducman77

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #23 on: September 05, 2016, 10:10:35 pm »
There is a rubber piece that fits to the bottom of the pipe that stayed on the turbo and had to remove that separately, that happen to you?

Enjoy the new intake! Do you get any squealing? I get some with my Revo intake but apparently all normal, only happens when putting my foot right down.

Yeah that rubber thing definitely needs to come out. Don't get any squealing with the RamAir. Can't really think why it would squeal?

Thanks for your advice all!  Ill be fitting it tomorrow after work, I get home around 5 in the afternoon so hopefully all will go okay!  Ill let you know how i get on, all of you be on hand tomorrow around 5 incase i get in some trouble  :signLOL:

10/4 big chopper!! Will be online after 5pm to check on your progress!!
Good luck :smiley: :happy2:

Offline Martk19871

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 27
  • -Receive: 14
  • Va Va Voom
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,100145.msg983012.html#msg983012
« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2016, 09:26:17 pm »
There is a rubber piece that fits to the bottom of the pipe that stayed on the turbo and had to remove that separately, that happen to you?

Yeah that rubber thing definitely needs to come out. Don't get any squealing with the RamAir. Can't really think why it would squeal?

10/4 big chopper!! Will be online after 5pm to check on your progress!!
Good luck :smiley: :happy2:

I've read it's the tubo sucking in more air making a squeal, that or something isnt tight enough, going to give it a once over again at the weekend  :signLOL:

Offline ducman77

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #25 on: September 06, 2016, 10:00:04 pm »
sucking in more air making a squeal, that or something isnt tight enough  :signLOL:

That's what she said :laugh: :grin: :laugh:

Any luck getting it fitted Sean?

Offline sean.smithy94

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: September 06, 2016, 10:13:05 pm »
Helloooo!!! After a long 3 hours after work it's finally fitted, started around half 5 and finished around half 8, the instructions really arnt the best so it was 2 steps forward and many back sometimes  :signLOL: got it all done in the end though! Hopefully everything is secured properly  :signLOL: the heatshield at the back annoyed me, couldn't get it to fit right no matter how many times I tried, but settled with it in the end and I think it's okay, other than that went straight forward  :happy2:

Took it for a little spin then! I don't think it's too bad under normal driving but then when you plant your foot, it makes some lovely noises!

So overall I'm happy but I might go back again at some point and see if I can get the heatshield to fit decent, any tips on that side of things?

Offline ducman77

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #27 on: September 06, 2016, 10:17:19 pm »
Well done buddy :smiley:
Good times :happy2:

Funnily enough, once I'd uncovered the bolt holes for it, the heatshield went on pretty ok.

I did notice it deformed a good bit though as I was tightening the big P clip that holds the intake to the heatshield? Maybe that happened to you too?

In what way is it not sitting right?

Offline sean.smithy94

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: September 06, 2016, 10:31:50 pm »
Well done buddy :smiley:
Good times :happy2:

Funnily enough, once I'd uncovered the bolt holes for it, the heatshield went on pretty ok.

I did notice it deformed a good bit though as I was tightening the big P clip that holds the intake to the heatshield? Maybe that happened to you too?

In what way is it not sitting right?

Maybe i did the order of the whole thing wrong, I don't think it's rotated around enough so it's not sitting quite flat over the holes but it's not terrible, I just really struggled getting it in to the correct position.

But yeah mine has warped a fair bit too, so whether that's why it doesn't sit right but it looks alright till I get bored and faff with it to make it better  :signLOL:

Offline ducman77

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #29 on: September 06, 2016, 10:43:31 pm »
it's not sitting quite flat over the holes but it's not terrible, I just really struggled getting it in to the correct position.

But yeah mine has warped a fair bit too, so whether that's why it doesn't sit right but it looks alright till I get bored and faff with it to make it better  :signLOL:

Yeah. If you come back to it fresh another day I bet You'll get it to line up better :happy2:

For now just enjoy it and let us know what you think :driver:

Myself and r5gtt noticed poor fuel economy after we fitted our induction kits. Will be interested to see if you experience the same problem