Make a donation

Author Topic: Ollie's 2012 Rising Blue 6 R  (Read 38642 times)

Offline superchargedpolo

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
Re: Ollie's 2012 Rising Blue 6 R
« Reply #45 on: March 05, 2017, 08:37:27 pm »
A really nice R. In great condition.
Nice one  :happy2:

Offline Ollie6R

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 5
« Reply #46 on: March 06, 2017, 06:23:25 pm »
Perfect in every way!  Looks awesome Ollie!!

A really nice R. In great condition.
Nice one  :happy2:

Thanks both, means a lot  :happy2:

A little slow on updates. No pictures as the car is hanging with salt and dirt. I haven't washed it since Christmas (possibly a record for me!) as every time I reach for the pressure washer it seems to piddle down. Hopefully I get a chance this weekend!

Anyway, in the last few weeks I have...

1. Booked in for front end respray - bonnet (including underside), front bumper and front arches being gently rolled and painted. Should be totally mint when done and get rid of some of the nasty stone chips. It's booked in for 3 weeks time  :smiley:

2. Bought a Revo Intake & GFB DV+. Still waiting to be fitted, though. I figured it will be a sensible time once the paint is done, as I can put my TTS engine cover on too and finish everything off nicely. Thanks to AKS for these, great service. I also bought black washer and coolant caps to finish things off a little, just need an R8 oil cap now.

3. Just ordered a BCS Powervalve TBE! I've heard only good things from BCS, and their Powervalve system seems to tick all the boxes - sedate and fairly quiet off boost, but loud when you give it the beans. They're currently running a group buy which I had to jump on - a few phone calls back and forth with Nige to discuss the options and it's officially done. He fried my head as he talked me through the engineering behind it but it's clear he knows his stuff. I've gone for 200cel sports cat, single centre box and twin rear silencers. It's a little louder than their regular system and I've no doubt it's going to sound epic!

All I need now is two new tyres (thinking Michelin PSS - for an all round tyre with good fast road capabilities - anyone running them?) and a wheel refurb and it should be immaculate for the summer.

Cheers, Ollie  :happy2:

Offline Ollie6R

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #47 on: April 04, 2017, 06:38:06 pm »
The Golf has been in the bodyshop for the last week, having the front end tarted up. Had a phone call this afternoon saying it should be done by end of the week. A little longer than expected but happy to wait for a good job.

In the meantime, I've got stuck into this. Trying to keep it OEM/understated as I can, should look good next to the Revo intake.

One standard TTS engine cover;

DSC_0134 by Ollie Dunstall, on Flickr

Badge removed, inserts popped out;

DSC_0136 by Ollie Dunstall, on Flickr

Filled the recess for the Audi badge in with filler. Absolute ball ache to do, wasn't happy first time to tried again. The end result;

DSC_0307 by Ollie Dunstall, on Flickr

DSC_0308 by Ollie Dunstall, on Flickr

Satin black cover with gloss black inserts.

Not completely happy, you can see some light sanding marks in direct light and if you look closely from a certain angle you can see a small sink in the filler. It took hours of filling/sanding and don't think I can get it any better myself, and I don't think you'd notice the flaws in the engine bay unless you were looking very closely.

I did consider having it done professionally but thought it would be a fun little DIY job to have a go at. Kept me amused for a few hours and certainly tested my patience!

Offline bonelorry

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 72
  • -Receive: 44
    • Email
« Reply #48 on: April 04, 2017, 07:24:17 pm »
Interested to see if the Bodywork is done a top standard! Hopefully you are happy with it.

As for the Engine Cover, It never bothered me having nothing there when I had the Revo Intake but that said my Engine Bay was Detailed regularly so never got chance to get dusty and look a mess. Having an Engine cover does make it easier to keep clean.

Have to say though I have never really been a fan of the Audi TTS Cover, Just looks a bit tacky to me  :thinking:

Offline Ollie6R

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #49 on: April 04, 2017, 08:04:20 pm »
Interested to see if the Bodywork is done a top standard! Hopefully you are happy with it.

As for the Engine Cover, It never bothered me having nothing there when I had the Revo Intake but that said my Engine Bay was Detailed regularly so never got chance to get dusty and look a mess. Having an Engine cover does make it easier to keep clean.

Have to say though I have never really been a fan of the Audi TTS Cover, Just looks a bit tacky to me  :thinking:

Having seen the previous work he's carried out I've plenty of faith in the body shop.

Dust/dirt isn't an issue for me as I also keep on top of it, however I can't help but think it looks a bit incomplete without a cover.

Offline Ollie6R

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #50 on: April 13, 2017, 01:57:09 pm »
Sunday 09 April:

Got my car back from the bodyshop on Sunday.

Really pleased with the finish. Total work done is as follows:

- Roll the front wings. Nothing extreme, just some more room, and still retain the OEM mudguards.

- Flush out the screw holes in front bumper

- Paint the front bumper, bonnet, wings & blend slightly into the door

- Paint the underside of bonnet

Quick photo from when I called in previously - straight out of the gun before flat & polish:

Untitled by Ollie Dunstall, on Flickr

:drool: :drool: :drool: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

The colour match is spot on, I've been inspecting it in several lights and you really can't tell it's been painted. The rest of the car could do with a detail now to bring it all up to standard!

I was unsure what to do regarding the front plate. After some research, I've installed some very strong magnets behind the rear bumper, and the same on the reverse of the plate. Whips off and on with ease, and lines up perfectly every time. Now I can have the best of both worlds for keeping it legal/posing for photos, lol.

Also decided to sort the bay out and fit some parts I've been piling. Had some help from a friend and did the following:

- Install GFB DV+

Been meaning to do this for a while. Fit and forget item, can't really notice any difference (came from rev D) but only done 10mls since fitting.

- Install Revo CAI

Loud, but good. Not intrusive when pottering around (which I was originally worried about), but give it some welly and you can really hear it. Feels a little more responsive, too.

- Install TTS Engine Cover & Black Coolant/Washer Caps

Purely for aesthetic reasons, not a fan of the open TFSI engine (looks messy) and the blue caps were ugly. Just needs an R8 oil cap now to finish it off.

Front end/engine bay before:

After:

Monday 10 April:

Special delivery!

BCS TBE system turned up exactly 5 weeks from ordering. Truth be told, I've hardly taken it out of the box, but from what I've seen the quality looks great.

Think these should finish the rear end off nicely  :wink:

All going well it should be on the car tomorrow  :signLOL:

Cheers, Ollie.  :happy2:

Offline Wolf Burger

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 15
« Reply #51 on: April 13, 2017, 10:00:15 pm »
I love that front picture without the plate !!  :happy2:

Arguably the best Golf front end ever!!

Awaits further discussion  :party:
Golf Mk6R 2011- Rising Blue- Manual-
Modifications-
E-Tuners 361 BHP - 350lbs
Revo Intake
Bilstein B16 & H&R ARB's
Team Dynamics 1.3
18Z Porsche BBK
RNS510 with Focal Speaker upgrade
MK6 Recaro Heated Buckets
Cruise Control
Highline Reverse Camera

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 392
  • -Receive: 316
« Reply #52 on: April 13, 2017, 10:11:55 pm »
Gorgeous car this. And done with lots of care, with the right mods. If I had a mk6 R (and believe me, I want one) I'd be aiming for something like this.

Top work.

Offline Ollie6R

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #53 on: April 15, 2017, 10:17:44 am »

Awaits further discussion  :party:

Thanks mate! I've got to agree - but maybe I'm biased?  :signLOL: Looks much better without the plate!

Gorgeous car this. And done with lots of care, with the right mods. If I had a mk6 R (and believe me, I want one) I'd be aiming for something like this.

Top work.

Thanks for the kind words mate :smiley:

I'm trying to keep it as OEM+ as possible; subtle but purposeful.

The only other thing exterior-wise I'm considering is a Kerscher carbon front lip and an OEM rear diffuser in carbon to match. I'm just worried about ground clearance on the front  :thinking:

In other news, got my BCS system fitted yesterday... wow!

What a noise and what a difference. Will try and get some pictures and videos today  :party:

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #54 on: April 15, 2017, 10:40:50 am »

Awaits further discussion  arty:

Thanks mate! I've got to agree - but maybe I'm biased?  :signLOL: Looks much better without the plate!

Top work.

Thanks for the kind words mate :smiley:

I'm trying to keep it as OEM+ as possible; subtle but purposeful.

The only other thing exterior-wise I'm considering is a Kerscher carbon front lip and an OEM rear diffuser in carbon to match. I'm just worried about ground clearance on the front  :thinking:

In other news, got my BCS system fitted yesterday... wow!

What a noise and what a difference. Will try and get some pictures and videos today  arty:
This one?

If so, I'd go for it. It follows the lines of the bumper and isn't OTT. Definitely OEM+ in my opinion. I think you'll be able to fit it quite flush like the one in the pic, or slightly further forward for a more 'chinny' look.

As for the BCS, they're a bit good aren't they?! Not just the noise, but the power gains. I got 15bhp and 20lb/ft straight away, then an extra 10bhp and 25lb/ft on top of that after a tweak to Stage 2, no other mods. And that's on a k03.

Enjoy!

Offline Ollie6R

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #55 on: April 15, 2017, 10:58:02 am »
This one?

If so, I'd go for it. It follows the lines of the bumper and isn't OTT. Definitely OEM+ in my opinion. I think you'll be able to fit it quite flush like the one in the pic, or slightly further forward for a more 'chinny' look.

As for the BCS, they're a bit good aren't they?! Not just the noise, but the power gains. I got 15bhp and 20lb/ft straight away, then an extra 10bhp and 25lb/ft on top of that after a tweak to Stage 2, no other mods. And that's on a k03.

Enjoy!

That's the badger! It's the only aftermarket one I like to be honest. The others are a bit shouty and can look a bit 'stuck on' or tacky.

The car definitely feels a little torquier, but since the intake, GFB and exhaust have gone on a LOT more responsive. Pin the throttle and you're gone.

I love the way it's so sedate when cruising, but WOT it's crazy loud! Looking forward to some spirited drives now  :jumpmove:

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #56 on: April 15, 2017, 11:00:14 am »
This one?

Enjoy!

That's the badger! It's the only aftermarket one I like to be honest. The others are a bit shouty and can look a bit 'stuck on' or tacky.

The car definitely feels a little torquier, but since the intake, GFB and exhaust have gone on a LOT more responsive. Pin the throttle and you're gone.

I love the way it's so sedate when cruising, but WOT it's crazy loud! Looking forward to some spirited drives now  :jumpmove:
BCS is the best mod I've done. Sounds like you agree! What map are you on, and did you go decat or sport cat?

Offline Ollie6R

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #57 on: April 16, 2017, 12:18:54 pm »
BCS is the best mod I've done. Sounds like you agree! What map are you on, and did you go decat or sport cat?

Went for 200cel sports cat. The cat back has one centre silencer (instead of the usual two) but then two boxes on the rear which are valved. In essence, under WOT, the rear boxes are bypassed so there's only one small resonator in the middle.

I'll just leave this here....

:evilgrin: :evilgrin: :evilgrin:
« Last Edit: April 16, 2017, 12:21:32 pm by Ollie6R »

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #58 on: April 16, 2017, 01:47:42 pm »

Went for 200cel sports cat. The cat back has one centre silencer (instead of the usual two) but then two boxes on the rear which are valved. In essence, under WOT, the rear boxes are bypassed so there's only one small resonator in the middle.

I'll just leave this here....

:evilgrin: :evilgrin: :evilgrin:
That's bloody lovely!!!

I know they sound even better in the flesh though. Bet you're a happy chap.

Is that an R32 GTS-T at the side of the road?

Offline Ollie6R

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #59 on: April 17, 2017, 06:19:11 pm »
That's bloody lovely!!!

I know they sound even better in the flesh though. Bet you're a happy chap.

Is that an R32 GTS-T at the side of the road?

Made up with it mate, really impressed and has certainly exceeded my expectations considering it's only a 4 pot! And all without a drop of drone.

That's a friends R32 GTR, first outing this year since it's fresh paint  :happy2: