Make a donation

Author Topic: Yet another cam chain topic  (Read 2939 times)

Offline Martyndg

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
Yet another cam chain topic
« on: July 20, 2016, 08:22:45 am »
Hello all. Sadly as my first post I am posting about a suspected cam chain fault.

First off, I have got a 2007 mk5 gti with a bwa engine with 70,000 miles on the clock. I am thoroughly enjoying the car although this fault is most annoying.

As usual there is a knock/rattle when warmed up. I have recorded this noise and can be found here.

When cold
&feature=share

When hot.
&feature=share

If you guys could give me your opinion on this noise as I am fairly certain it is the chain but just want a second opinion :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A-F

Re: Yet another cam chain topic
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2016, 11:50:39 am »
It sounds very similar to my issue - I have just posted a thread on here about my cam chain.

I've been advised that its actually the oil pump gears that are making the noise not the cam chain but at a cost of £2000 to fix I would like a second opinion.

Offline Martyndg

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2016, 06:51:27 pm »
I would have thought the oil pump gears would cause a noise from the bottom of the engine on the Cambelt side, rather than from the top gearbox side which is where my noise is coming from. I'm probably going to change it next week and see if it makes a difference. If it doesn't then at least it's all done :)

Offline doylebros

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 44
  • -Receive: 309
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2016, 08:13:51 pm »
It certainly sounds like the chain to me and that's were I would start since it's cheaper than the oil pump.
Howerver,I've had partially blocked sump oil strainers cause noises similar and that's not expensive to have checked by sump removal and exist strainer cleaned then refit.

Offline Martyndg

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2016, 08:14:11 pm »
Just to update this, I replaced the chain, tensioner and adjuster yesterday and it is now silent :) it sounds like a brand new car :D

Offline shoaybmakda

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 54
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2016, 09:45:08 am »
@Martyndg how much did it set you back?

Offline Martyndg

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2016, 09:48:57 am »
I believe it was about £580 and that was for the chain, adjuster, tensioner, rocker cover gasket and the gasket for the chain cover.

All the parts were from Tps and they had them all in stock although I did get a bit of discount as I ordered them through the garage that I work at :)