Make a donation

Author Topic: Slightly odd valuation/what to do thread  (Read 4051 times)

Offline sub39h

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 189
  • -Receive: 84
Slightly odd valuation/what to do thread
« on: July 23, 2016, 02:18:12 pm »
Hi guys,

Hope you're all well. Slightly odd question this. My car is currently with Alex at AKS with a gearbox fault. After much fault finding it turns out the mechatroncis has failed and is a £1600 replacement which in my opinion is not worth it given the value of the car and the amount I've spent trying to get it sorted to date.

My car is in my sig, has 97k miles on it and is in good condition but of course is a non runner because the gearbox is a paperweight.

What should I do with it? The car is stuck at AKS, some 150 miles away from my home and I need a car for work and am currently abroad until the end of August. I can't really part ex it because I can't get it to a dealer and presume it would be worth nothing to them.

What do people think the car is worth without the mechatronics repair?

Suggestions?
2006 Phantom Black A3 2.0T S-Line
DSG | Rear Parking Sensors | MFSW | BOSE | Auto lights/wipers | Half leather
MODS : '09 tail lights | TT vents | Bilstein B14 | RNS-E 2010 | AMI | AKS Tuning custom CAI | Titanium BBS VZs | NQS BBK | WALK | Autotech RARB | Bluemotion aero | Blueflame TBE | Autotech HPFP | MY11 Wing Mirrors | Bluetooth | S3 Intercooler
PLANS: Stage 2+

Offline Deako

• Thank You
  • -Given: 38
  • -Receive: 44
  • Eat, Sleep....VAG
Re: Slightly odd valuation/what to do thread
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2016, 03:43:07 am »
Can you not buy a cheap 2nd hand box complete with non faulty mechatronics unit?

Offline sub39h

• Thank You
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2016, 04:20:18 am »
I had thought about that, but Alex has literally just changed the clutches on my box so I'd be wasting £700+ of parts and labour going down that route. Plus no guarantees that the new box would work properly wasting even more labour costs! I guess given the option the new mechatronics is the safe bet because my gearbox will essentially be fully refurbished and roughly the same cost.
MODS : '09 tail lights | TT vents | Bilstein B14 | RNS-E 2010 | AMI | AKS Tuning custom CAI | Titanium BBS VZs | NQS BBK | WALK | Autotech RARB | Bluemotion aero | Blueflame TBE | Autotech HPFP | MY11 Wing Mirrors | Bluetooth | S3 Intercooler

Offline rich83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 801
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=u4o5lkes3ioiqdgipjbm4jldg2&/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2016, 09:48:14 am »
No much is my guess. Find a similar spec car on auto trader and take of the cost of the repair plus some.

Offline r5gtt

• Thank You
  • -Given: 342
  • -Receive: 334
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2016, 02:20:14 pm »
Best to buy a used box imho.

Offline garrardrj

• Thank You
  • -Given: 76
  • -Receive: 42
  • EX 2007 Golf Edition 30 owner in Suffolk
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2016, 03:39:34 pm »
As above ^ get the box replaced and then sell.
2015 Golf R White 5 Door Leather DCC Dynaudio Pretorias
2009 Land Rover Freelander HSE - Workhorse
2007 Mk 5 Golf GTI Edition 30 - SOLD

Offline sub39h

• Thank You
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2016, 04:46:01 pm »
Thanks chaps. I'm looking into a used box plus emailing anyone and everyone for the price of a mechatronics unit. So far best price I have got is £1310 and the chap is going to see if he can get a discount on Monday and get back to me. If possible I'd rather keep the gearbox original because it has new clutches and I know its history.

Any suggestions on best places to look for boxes?

Thanks team.

Offline r5gtt

• Thank You
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2016, 06:47:57 pm »
Thanks chaps. I'm looking into a used box plus emailing anyone and everyone for the price of a mechatronics unit. So far best price I have got is £1310 and the chap is going to see if he can get a discount on Monday and get back to me. If possible I'd rather keep the gearbox original because it has new clutches and I know its history.

Thanks team.
The guys in Bristol could possibly have your mech repaired for £700 ish.

Offline Deako

• Thank You
  • -Given: 38
  • -Receive: 44
  • Eat, Sleep....VAG
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2016, 10:44:06 pm »
I guess sometimes it's better the devil you know if you have recently spent a fair bit on it. 2nd hand mech unit or cheaper repair of your existing unit would be the best option.

Offline r5gtt

• Thank You
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2016, 11:03:52 pm »
Find a crash damaged one in the ebay gti breaking or spend the £700 and you'll have a guaranteed mech unit.  :smiley: sad but it's how it is. second hand is a risk imho but it's a cheaper option.
Best of luck.

Offline sub39h

• Thank You
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2016, 02:07:39 am »

Thanks team.
The guys in Bristol could possibly have your mech repaired for £700 ish.

If they can then that would be the ideal. Alex said it couldn't be repaired, but I'm not sure I trust the guys he sent my unit to. Firstly when they returned it apparently it wasn't in good condition and Alex sent it back to them. Also they didn't find a fault, and then when Alex refitted it it was obvious it had failed. They sound totally useless to me.

But if they're right and it can't be repaired, apparently 2nd hand ones aren't usually possible to obtain because there are dozens of different varieties and softwares so it'll have to either be a whole reconditioned box or a brand new mechatronics.

Let's see what all the mechatronics repair guys come back with, and what prices I can get for a new one. Then I'll take it from there.

Offline r5gtt

• Thank You
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2016, 08:22:08 am »
I'm hoping and praying for you mate  :party:

Offline sub39h

• Thank You
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2016, 07:21:07 am »

Thanks mate. I've found a new mechatronics for £1145 now. I've emailed Alex to ask if he can get in touch with the chaps from Bristol. He's a top bloke but I wish he was better at responding to emails!

Offline r5gtt

• Thank You
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2016, 08:55:20 am »

Thanks mate. I've found a new mechatronics for £1145 now. I've emailed Alex to ask if he can get in touch with the chaps from Bristol. He's a top bloke but I wish he was better at responding to emails!
Sometimes you need to call the up on the phone as emails are Sucky Sucky  :signLOL:
That's a good price for a new one. it'll probably cost you a further 300 fitted with fresh gear oil unless they use the old stuff as it's fresh anyway.

Offline rich83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 801
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=u4o5lkes3ioiqdgipjbm4jldg2&/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2016, 09:11:36 am »

Where is that from mate?