Make a donation

Author Topic: Rtech Stage 1  (Read 4971 times)

Offline Craig Stanley

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 14
  • -Receive: 16
    • Email
Rtech Stage 1
« on: July 30, 2016, 06:02:08 pm »
Today was the day I made the 330 mile round trip to rtech for my Stage 1 custom map. When I bought the car a few months ago I was told it had a map on it already. I wasn't comfortable not knowing who had mapped it so I did some digging around on this forum and decided Rtech was favoured by so many and the reviews spoke for themselves so  I went ahead and booked a slot. After a month of waiting and a few quid spent on the necessary upgrades to have a stage 1 map here I am back in Bournemouth and well chuffed with the outcome and happy I decided on these guys to do the necessary. Ben, Nicki and the rest of the team were very welcoming. To cut a long story short Nicki worked his magic and this was the result. 255.8bhp and 301.75ft/lb. Not bad for only a Pipercross panel filter mod.

Car feels great and I couldnt be happier. Definitely be back. Cheers guys.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 392
  • -Receive: 316
Re: Rtech Stage 1
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2016, 07:49:02 pm »
That's a great result for Stage 1. Must be very healthy to make 255bhp. Your torque curve in the other post looks very smooth too. I had a Pipercross panel filter fitted between Stage 1 and Stage 2 R-Tech maps while it was being serviced. Can't say I expected much from it, but looking at your results, maybe it's helped more than I expected.

300lb/ft is about right for Stage 1 R-Tech. Yours seems to hold that torque better though. This is my Stage 1 map (everything bone standard).

You can see it dropping off quickly as soon as it makes peak torque a shade under 300lb/ft.

It's a different story now, I'm Stage 2 with a full Powervalve and it makes 270bhp and 345lb/ft.

If you're keen on taking things a step further, the downpipe is the next big restriction. Sort that (ideally with a full turbo back system) and you'll be ready for a Stage 2 map.

Offline Craig Stanley

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2016, 07:59:36 pm »
That's a great result for Stage 1. Must be very healthy to make 255bhp. Your torque curve in the other post looks very smooth too. I had a Pipercross panel filter fitted between Stage 1 and Stage 2 R-Tech maps while it was being serviced. Can't say I expected much from it, but looking at your results, maybe it's helped more than I expected.

300lb/ft is about right for Stage 1 R-Tech. Yours seems to hold that torque better though. This is my Stage 1 map (everything bone standard).

You can see it dropping off quickly as soon as it makes peak torque a shade under 300lb/ft.

It's a different story now, I'm Stage 2 with a full Powervalve and it makes 270bhp and 345lb/ft.

If you're keen on taking things a step further, the downpipe is the next big restriction. Sort that (ideally with a full turbo back system) and you'll be ready for a Stage 2 map.
Yeah. Really pleased with the result. Seeing what your saying about the exhaust and I am quite keen to get a powervalve turbo back now. Stage 2 results look good.

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2016, 08:04:53 pm »
Here's my Stage 2 graph.

The Powervalve is a brilliant piece of kit.

Offline Craig Stanley

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2016, 08:33:17 pm »

Yeah. Really pleased with the result. Seeing what your saying about the exhaust and I am quite keen to get a powervalve turbo back now. Stage 2 results look good.

Niki did say the Pipercross Panel Filter does help alot and is a good cheap mod so I presume it did play a significant part.

Offline MC71

• Thank You
  • -Given: 413
  • -Receive: 427
  • Mk7 R
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,113185.0.html
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2016, 08:34:31 pm »
Good figures.  :happy2:

Build thread Stage 2+ Edition 30 ~~Clicky here~~

Offline jon_hill

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 3
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2016, 03:46:51 pm »
Good figures and review! You've got to be happy with those digits, strong motor & decent map combo right there  :pomppomp:

Offline Craig Stanley

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2016, 05:42:51 pm »
Good figures and review! You've got to be happy with those digits, strong motor & decent map combo right there  :pomppomp:
Thanks. Yeah good results but already getting bored and want MORE. Lol

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2016, 06:06:02 pm »
Good figures and review! You've got to be happy with those digits, strong motor & decent map combo right there  omppomp:

Haha, the bug has bitten! The two biggest bottlenecks hardware wise are the downpipe and fuel pump. Sort those and you're looking at an extra 40-50lb/ft at peak and big gains right across the curve with one of Niki's maps.

If you can stretch the budget to include an S3/mk6 R intercooler that'd be ideal. I think the map would still be a 2+ if you stuck with the standard intercooler (the '+' denotes an upgraded pump), but you'd gain consistent power and an improvement in overall flow by upgrading the intercooler. An intake can help flow a little at the top end, but the standard airbox does a good job with a k03, so really you wouldn't be losing out by much if you decided to stay with the standard airbox and Pipercross filter.

Mine is loads nicer to drive at Stage 2. With Stage 1 the drop in torque just after peak was quite noticeable. After fitting the full Powervalve and getting the Stage 2 map I could feel the torque hitting much harder and holding better after peak. I since added a Loba pump (still on the Stage 2 map) and the torque improved again. Really strong and consistent. I could in theory head back down to R-Tech and get the map tweaked to 2+ now I have the pump, but I've decided to get more hardware upgrades in place first, possibly with a k03 hybrid or k04.

Offline Craig Stanley

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2016, 06:11:09 pm »
Good figures and review! You've got to be happy with those digits, strong motor & decent map combo right there  omppomp:

Haha, the bug has bitten! The two biggest bottlenecks hardware wise are the downpipe and fuel pump. Sort those and you're looking at an extra 40-50lb/ft at peak and big gains right across the curve with one of Niki's maps.

If you can stretch the budget to include an S3/mk6 R intercooler that'd be ideal. I think the map would still be a 2+ if you stuck with the standard intercooler (the '+' denotes an upgraded pump), but you'd gain consistent power and an improvement in overall flow by upgrading the intercooler. An intake can help flow a little at the top end, but the standard airbox does a good job with a k03, so really you wouldn't be losing out by much if you decided to stay with the standard airbox and Pipercross filter.

Mine is loads nicer to drive at Stage 2. With Stage 1 the drop in torque just after peak was quite noticeable. After fitting the full Powervalve and getting the Stage 2 map I could feel the torque hitting much harder and holding better after peak. I since added a Loba pump (still on the Stage 2 map) and the torque improved again. Really strong and consistent. I could in theory head back down to R-Tech and get the map tweaked to 2+ now I have the pump, but I've decided to get more hardware upgrades in place first, possibly with a k03 hybrid or k04.
Yeah. Considering all the hardware you mentioned but getting a hybrid aswell. I think a hybrid k03 and all the hardware would be alot of fun. F***k it its only money. Having funs what counts!!

Offline Craig Stanley

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2016, 06:17:29 pm »
If I was to fit a tbe for now would I need to get the map tweaked straight away.

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2016, 06:37:08 pm »
If I was to fit a tbe for now would I need to get the map tweaked straight away.

You wouldn't need to, no. The worst thing that can happen is getting an engine light on the dash due to the extra flow confusing the lambda sensor. Nothing mechanically detrimental actually happens, it's just that the sensor sends the ECU data that falls outside it's expected threshold - the ECU thinks it's still the standard cat/downpipe. When you get a Stage 2 map this is addressed. I'm not sure if the lambda range is altered or whether it's coded out all together, but once it's mapped you don't get the warning light.