Make a donation

Author Topic: SurreyED30's 2nd Edition 30 #SOLD!  (Read 54812 times)

Offline SurreyED30

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 37
  • -Receive: 32
Re: SurreyED30's 2nd Edition 30
« Reply #120 on: January 06, 2017, 06:25:01 pm »
Looking forward to seeing your pics after the detailing mate, was always impressed with the results you used to get on your type r after hitting it with the DA so I'm sure the golf will be as good!

Have you used the Gyeon stuff before? heard good things about there stuff. And what's the citrus pre wash like out of interest?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks Martin, the civic was a pest to detail due to the butter like paint and marring! Came up nice though. I always read your updates as I think your eddy is one of the best on the forum in my honest opinion (not ass licking genuine comment)

I've used Gyeon tar and iron before on my eddy back In August, it's really effective and the tar was really good but I wouldn't say it's twice as good as say carpro's iron X, as they all do the same thing pritty damn well. I would definitely try gyeon's other products though for sure :happy2:

I'm hoping the fog and dampness stays on my side this weekend, it's currently raining in Surrey so I'm hoping that'll pass by the morning too.

I've used citrus pre wash via pump sprayer and even in my foam lance for maybe the last 2 years and I wouldn't wash a car without it now, seriously!

I always do the following
Citrus Pre wash left to dwell
Jet rinse off
Snow foam
Agitate areas like lights, shuts and grills
Jet rinsed again
Then a further blanket of foam before washing (2BM) really helps with washing and reducing swirls and unwanted defects.

Citrus pre wash really does cut through grime and all the grud that comes off the road.

£18 for 5L is well worth the extra step in pre wash :happy2:

Mine needs a new manifold which garage I purchased from are sorting out. Also having front wings replaced by VW soon, Bloody rust issue.

As for detailing chanels have a look at Forensic Detailing Channel. He has the obbsessive behaviour I think alot of us into detailing have!
What's happened to the manifold? Inlet or exhaust?

I will look his channel up tonight, thanks for the recommendation :happy2:
« Last Edit: January 06, 2017, 06:29:29 pm by SurreyED30 »
Edition 30 build No:692 Revo stage 2 SOLD
Edition 30 build No:440 Stage 1 SOLD

Offline ryan-g-91

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 0
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,110534.0.html
« Reply #121 on: January 06, 2017, 09:18:10 pm »
Your car is beaut! some quality detailing!  :happy2:

Offline Martin_jk

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 19
  • -Receive: 8
    • Email
« Reply #122 on: January 06, 2017, 11:22:43 pm »
Looking forward to seeing your pics after the detailing mate, was always impressed with the results you used to get on your type r after hitting it with the DA so I'm sure the golf will be as good!

Have you used the Gyeon stuff before? heard good things about there stuff. And what's the citrus pre wash like out of interest?

Thanks Martin, the civic was a pest to detail due to the butter like paint and marring! Came up nice though. I always read your updates as I think your eddy is one of the best on the forum in my honest opinion (not ass licking genuine comment)

I've used Gyeon tar and iron before on my eddy back In August, it's really effective and the tar was really good but I wouldn't say it's twice as good as say carpro's iron X, as they all do the same thing pritty damn well. I would definitely try gyeon's other products though for sure :happy2:

I'm hoping the fog and dampness stays on my side this weekend, it's currently raining in Surrey so I'm hoping that'll pass by the morning too.

I've used citrus pre wash via pump sprayer and even in my foam lance for maybe the last 2 years and I wouldn't wash a car without it now, seriously!

I always do the following
Citrus Pre wash left to dwell
Jet rinse off
Snow foam
Agitate areas like lights, shuts and grills
Jet rinsed again
Then a further blanket of foam before washing (2BM) really helps with washing and reducing swirls and unwanted defects.

Citrus pre wash really does cut through grime and all the grud that comes off the road.

£18 for 5L is well worth the extra step in pre wash :happy2:

Yeah I always found that with my civic, nighthawk black was the worst for it too, like you say always looked great when putting the effort in though. Cheers mate really appreciate that, hoping this year I'll be able to get a lot done when it comes to detailing & modding too!

Yeah I do hear about the car pro iron x being a favourite too! Just bought some of the valet pro dragons breath which apparently is really good stuff so will let you know how I get on with it (unless you have tried it already that is) i might give the gyeon sealant a go when I've sorted the paint out then.

That's the most annoying thing when you have everything you need but the good old British weather won't let you! Fingers crossed it clears up for you mate!

Nice one I think I might have to get myself some citrus pre wash then, just got 5l of bilt hamber auto foam so using both in that order you said should help get a lot of the crap off before taking a mitt to the car, bargain at £18 too! Thanks for the info, it's a big help :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline SurreyED30

• Thank You
« Reply #123 on: January 09, 2017, 11:16:13 am »
Morning  all

As you know I wanted to detail my edition 30 this weekend, here is a short write up with lots of pictures. I didn’t manage to do the interior like I wanted to and I also didn’t get to do the underneath, arches, suspension etc due to daylight hours and with rainy patches during the weekend!
I will get the car up on stands around March time when there’s a little more light hours and also (hopefully) dryer weather!
The car doesn’t seem to be too dirty in these photos mainly because it’s a sh*te iPhone taking the pictures and also because it rained the night before so muck isn’t dry which makes the car look grey lol I also washed the car a few weeks before Christmas and I’ve hardly drove the car.

I started the day with the engine bay, isnt a 100% effort job due to time but will do until the summer

After (before dressing)

Onto the rest

You’ll notice there’s no spacers and the the original centre caps and wheel bolts/lockers are back on

So as usual I started with the wheels, I used bilberry wheel cleaner mixed at 1:5 and also wheel woollies, old wash mitt for the faces and wheel arches and also normal paint shampoo

Wheels were then rinsed and I moved onto the prewash stages of the detail, starting with Citrus prewash via pump spray mixed at 1:6 left to dwell for 5 minutes while I agitated the close and awkward areas with a soft brush

I jet washed the car down to remove the pre wash and also as much loose/soft muck as I could.
It was now time to foam the beauty up, product of choice was valet pro Ph neutral snow foam, again I mixed this quite strong at 1:2 and let it sit for about 10 minutes as the weather was cold

I rinsed the car off briefly ad gave her a well deserved wash! I use my usually dodojuice Purple born to be mild shampoo along with 2 lambs wool wash mitts, 1 for the top half of the car and the other for the lower half areas.

I didn’t take many pictures as I got fed up with dropping my phone and also covering it suds etc

It was time for a cuppa and then onto the decontamination stages of the detail, Gyeon iron and tar applies and left for 5 minutes each before being jet washed off. I then clayed the car using a weak quick detailer and water mix.

I thought I had no clay and ended up with 3 lots, just in different bags/containers in my shed! Bugger all came off anyway so happy days

I refoamed the car and washed it quickly before drying it off ready for some correction

Meguiars microfiber cutting pad with 3M yellow extra fine polish was the best combo for me, I use IPA to check my work after every panel before moving on.

I couldn’t capture any 50/50 on the paint as there was no sun and also I had no torch. The swirling was so light and mainly on the lower half of the car were its had a rough wash at some point.
I did add a lot of gloss to the paint though! I rinsed the car to remove dust from the tight gaps and the scuttle area and was left with lovely beading paintwork :P

before I applied the LSP I wiped car down again with IPA and also dressed the plastics and rubber areas inc the tyres. ( I normally do this will the wax is curing but the toilet was calling! ) I  also quickly hoovered out the interior. I didn’t get time to detail the interior due to light but I will do it this month !

My finishing products were Menzerna power lock sealant and Collinite 476s double coat wax.
I applied the Power Lock via DA with a black menzerna finishing pad and speed 2, I done a few passes to work the sealant into the paint and left it to haze over. I had applied the collinite with a foam applicator pad following the contours of the panels. As always the last step products were applied evenly and thin layers for a perfect finish and easy on and off use.

Menzerna curing

And removed

Wax curing not that you can tell!

Finished results after the Collinite was applied/removed from the paintwork, glass and wheels
(exhaust tips were done last!)

The wheels, new centre caps, tyres and wheel bolt covers

The whole car

At work this morning the sunrise looked great on the car but my iPhone takes a sh*t picture so doesn’t do any of these justice!

all comment welcomed as usual

Jake  :smiley:
« Last Edit: January 09, 2017, 01:46:54 pm by SurreyED30 »

Offline SurreyED30

• Thank You
Re: SurreyED30's 2nd Edition 30 - Winter detail complete!
« Reply #124 on: January 09, 2017, 12:11:51 pm »
postie delivered my new badges this morning so i didnt mess around getting them fitted!
took me about 30 minutes with tape measure, detail tape, spirit level and swear words to line the Gti badge up, damn thing

much better, its a shame the MK5 rear VW boot badges are like hens teeth! I cant be bothered with pissing about with mk4/6 badges before there mentioned  :P
« Last Edit: January 09, 2017, 12:40:19 pm by SurreyED30 »

Offline horsemeat

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 4
« Reply #125 on: January 09, 2017, 03:33:26 pm »
That looks really really great. I never thought I'd get in to 'detailing' but am slowly becoming obsessed. Can appreciate what a great job you've done there!

Silver badge looks better too, good on you  :happy2:

Offline bad devotions

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 22
« Reply #126 on: January 09, 2017, 07:36:27 pm »
stunning mate, just, stunning.

Offline Andy

• Admin
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 442
    • Email
« Reply #127 on: January 10, 2017, 12:43:55 am »
awesome job Jake--what product did you do the black plastics with
« Last Edit: January 10, 2017, 12:45:57 am by Andy »

Offline SurreyED30

• Thank You
« Reply #128 on: January 10, 2017, 09:33:17 am »
That looks really really great. I never thought I'd get in to 'detailing' but am slowly becoming obsessed. Can appreciate what a great job you've done there!

Silver badge looks better too, good on you  :happy2:

Thank you for your kind words, Detailing takes a lot of time as you will know to do a full detail undercarriage, innterior, exterior and engine bay will take 20+ hours at least! I think i did well in the 13 hours i spent on the car.

stunning mate, just, stunning.

Thanks mate :happy2:

awesome job Jake--what product did you do the black plastics with
Thanks Andy, I used PoorBoys natural look dressing :happy2: i like it because its not greasy or really shiny. I use the same product but diluted on my interior, although i didn't do it this time round lol

Offline Martin_jk

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 8
    • Email
« Reply #129 on: January 10, 2017, 10:22:00 am »
Looking good mate! Good write up too, paint looks like it's got a lot more depth to it now, keep up the good work!

Offline Paradox1

• Thank You
  • -Given: 41
  • -Receive: 82
    • Email
« Reply #130 on: January 10, 2017, 10:58:23 am »
By far the cleanest and nicest looking car on this forum IMO.

Can you clean mine lol

Offline SurreyED30

• Thank You
« Reply #131 on: January 10, 2017, 12:27:06 pm »
Looking good mate! Good write up too, paint looks like it's got a lot more depth to it now, keep up the good work!

Thank you Martin, I cant wait until the interior is all done properly now, then it will be complete  :pomppomp:
As soon as my driveway is done I will be able to wash it weekly at least :smiley: (end of this month)

By far the cleanest and nicest looking car on this forum IMO.

Can you clean mine lol

Thank you very much mate! dont know what to say   :love:

Im defiantly thinking of changing my mind with the cars direction, I'm now thinking  a nice set of fancy wheels and some coilovers and just keep it clean all the time rather than tracking it.

I'd love to do the interior properly with alcantara and a nice audio set up  :drool:

I might start doing a few forum members cars when the weather picks up :happy2:
« Last Edit: January 10, 2017, 12:31:05 pm by SurreyED30 »

Offline MIJ_JAGGER

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 103
  • -Receive: 77
« Reply #132 on: January 10, 2017, 02:51:19 pm »
Wow great to see the love gone into detailing this
Sweet as mate

Offline Saintsteve

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 17
  • -Receive: 2
« Reply #133 on: January 10, 2017, 07:15:52 pm »
Great work there Jake.

Can't beat a glossy Red Ed30  :innocent: :happy2:
Tornado Red Edition30 DSG Build Number 114
Atlantic Blue Mk7.5 GTE Advance
Follow Saintsteve330 on Instagram

Offline Simon_2.0t

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 15
    • Email
« Reply #134 on: January 10, 2017, 11:29:33 pm »
Looks great Jake!! Really nice write up and the results show.

New wheels and coilovers you say?.....

Si