Make a donation

Author Topic: SurreyED30's 2nd Edition 30 #SOLD!  (Read 54887 times)

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 392
  • -Receive: 316
Re: SurreyED30's 2nd Edition 30 - Winter detail complete!
« Reply #135 on: January 11, 2017, 12:01:40 am »
Wow. Looks like @bonelorry has some competition in the detailing stakes.

If you do decide to work on a few forum cars I'm sure you'll have plenty of requests. Shame I'm up north!

I'll be interested to hear which coilies you go for too. I'm kind of at that point myself - I rarely drive it hard and I'd like to get it sitting a bit better than it does on H&R springs.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2017, 12:03:46 am by AJP »

Offline SurreyED30

• Thank You
  • -Given: 37
  • -Receive: 32
« Reply #136 on: January 11, 2017, 02:12:56 pm »
Wow great to see the love gone into detailing this
Sweet as mate

Thanks mate :)

Great work there Jake.

Can't beat a glossy Red Ed30  :innocent: :happy2:

Thanks Steve, look forward to seeing how yours turns out this year :happy2:

Looks great Jake!! Really nice write up and the results show.

New wheels and coilovers you say?.....

Si

Thanks buddy :happy2: yep thinking some nice wheels that i text you earlier :P
Edition 30 build No:692 Revo stage 2 SOLD
Edition 30 build No:440 Stage 1 SOLD

Offline SurreyED30

• Thank You
« Reply #137 on: January 11, 2017, 02:16:40 pm »

If you do decide to work on a few forum cars I'm sure you'll have plenty of requests. Shame I'm up north!

I'll be interested to hear which coilies you go for too. I'm kind of at that point myself - I rarely drive it hard and I'd like to get it sitting a bit better than it does on H&R springs.

I've defiantly fell in love with the car again after my wobbler before Christmas.

I will probably go with either AP/ST/H&R coilovers, not fussed about spending £1,000+ on fully adjustable track orientated coilovers as I will probably never track it....perhaps a cheaper dedicated track car is on the way!?

I would happily detail forum members cars when the weather picks up :happy2:

Offline Kai96

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 23
  • -Receive: 17
    • Email
« Reply #138 on: January 11, 2017, 02:41:55 pm »
Really good results, car looks really neat. I like the black and red colour combo you have going on as well

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 392
  • -Receive: 316
« Reply #139 on: January 11, 2017, 05:13:58 pm »

I've defiantly fell in love with the car again after my wobbler before Christmas.

I will probably go with either AP/ST/H&R coilovers, not fussed about spending £1,000+ on fully adjustable track orientated coilovers as I will probably never track it....perhaps a cheaper dedicated track car is on the way!?

I would happily detail forum members cars when the weather picks up :happy2:
Yep, those coilovers are what I'm looking at myself. I'll maybe rule out AP as they apparently don't go as low as KW or ST. ST aren't that much cheaper than KW these days. When Weitec were what ST are now there was a bigger price gap. So the idea of having stainless bodies (KW) for a little more than ST makes sense to me. I'm hoping to hold on to the car for a good few years so longevity is important.

KW usually have a sale around April that lasts until June. Last year V1s were 600 odd quid. Everything I've read about V1s sounds right for me - decent drop and a nice ride. They might be valved a little on the soft side for track use, but like you I'm not taking the car in that direction, so they sound ideal.

I had Weitecs on a mk4 and they were a decent ride even all the way down. Better than a Koni shock and spring kit I had on before in fact. I expect the same or better from V1s on the mk5!

If I'm ever down south and you're doing detailing I'll give you a shout

Offline Trow81

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 18
    • Email
« Reply #140 on: January 11, 2017, 06:07:44 pm »
Stunning and in the best colour makes me a little ashamed about my Eddy lol I know what u mean about MK5 badges I gave up and went for a MK6 gloss with inserts think it sets the back end off nicely
Will be watching this with interest great write up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Stig_gti

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 10
    • Email
« Reply #141 on: January 12, 2017, 09:38:43 am »
Great results there :congrats:
Beautiful car wish I could detail

Offline SurreyED30

• Thank You
« Reply #142 on: January 13, 2017, 10:07:22 am »
Really good results, car looks really neat. I like the black and red colour combo you have going on as well

Thank you mate,  I am not so sure on the red/black  combo any more, I will be going down the oem route now i think :happy2:

Stunning and in the best colour makes me a little ashamed about my Eddy lol I know what u mean about MK5 badges I gave up and went for a MK6 gloss with inserts think it sets the back end off nicely
Will be watching this with interest great write up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I will probably go down the mk6 route in a few weeks time after ive given up on the mk5 item :grin:

Great results there :congrats:
Beautiful car wish I could detail

Thanks mate :happy2:

Offline SurreyED30

• Thank You
Re: SurreyED30's 2nd Edition 30
« Reply #143 on: February 11, 2017, 04:13:41 pm »
Afternoon all

Went for a 400 mile round trip to see family last weekend a terrible rattle appeared. It turned out to be the rear disc dust shield had came loose, great!

I remember this happening on my first eddy and it was quick tin snip repair :ashamed: this time round I thought I'd cure the problem the correct way, replace it for a new one :happy2:

I did buy both sides as I planned to replace the n/s while it's all jacked up and the tools were out and before it breaks! but as the o/s took 2 hours I thought sod the n/s till it isn't snowing and the weather is a bit warmer.

It was a pleasure to work on a non seized non rusted car for a change! (Everything is covered with mud as I haven't cleaned it yet) Everything came undone easily except the wheel bearing bolt which took 14 stone of weight on a bar and whacking the M18 multispline socket with a hammer to shock the thread, damn that thing was tight! All the bolt threads were like new, couldn't be happier with a easy to work on car  :innocent:

Tools used:

Trolley jack
Axle stands
17mm socket - wheel bolts
18mm socket - rear lower arm
15mm spanner - slider pin nut
13mm spanner - caliper bolt
T30 Torx bit - disc retainer and shield bolts
M14 multispline - carrier bolts
M18 multispline - wheel bearing
Flat head screwdriver - bearing dust cover
Bungee cord - hold caliper up
Halogen light - crap lighting in the carport
Old sofa cushion - nothing worse than kneeling on a stone !

Started off by loosening the wheel bolts then jacked the car up and secured it on axle stands.

Tools for the job

caliper removal

Disc, pads and carrier removed left a loose shield ! To get the carrier off I removed the rear spring to give me more room to get a decent size bar in to break the carrier bolts free.

The worse bit of the job was breaking this f*ck*r free and praying the bearing hasn't bonded to the shaft, luckily mine came off freely and in 1 piece. I applied more grease to the bearing before refitting.

All back together :happy2:

I cleaned up all the bolts quickly with the machine wheel and also used loctite 222 red thread lock on all the threads. All the torque specs can be found online and also all the how to guides for removing everything to do this job is easily available online.

Don't be put off with the rear carrier bolts, lots a swearing and some Strength will cracking it loose :happy2:

I will need new pads in the next maybe 3,000 miles so I'll do a quick write up of that when I do them as well. I'll clean and detail the arches and compents at the same time too, not much point now to be honest. I don't drive the car if the roads are icey/gritted anyway so no salt gets to the car really.

You'll notice my private plate is now on too :)

If anyone local wants to borrow the multisplines or needs a hand I am more than happy to help and wouldn't take a penny off anyone for lending a hand.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2017, 04:28:51 pm by SurreyED30 »

Offline SurreyED30

• Thank You
« Reply #144 on: March 12, 2017, 11:36:36 am »
Hi all

Took my car out for its Sunday more B road bash and I rolled over another milestone so thought I'd share it. 55,000 miles on the clock now so still a baby compared to most mk5's. I have definitely fell in love with the car again, especially lately as I haven't been using the car at all because my partner is away so I use her 1.6 Mini Cooper for my daily commute. £35 for a full tank of fuel that doesn't seem to ever go down is defo a winner over the GTi. I have drove the GTi twice since the end of January and both times have been really enjoyable, however, I was playing with a new shape Astra vxr gtc this morning and although I would pull a few car lengths on the straights his braking was a lot better and later than mine. I think they come with 4 piston brembo calipers up front and he possible has updated pads as the car looked and sounded modified, so it's no doubt he was better at braking than my terrible GTi set up. I will now be looking to invest in a full R32/S3 front and rear set up with fast road pads, lines and fluid may even look into rs3 brembo with 340 tts discs. I did start to loose faith in the GTi brakes after 30-40 minutes and started to back off a lot earlier when approaching corners. 18 mpg after 54 minutes of B road thrashing definitely is a middle finger to the mpg lovers on the forum :love:

So next up is definitely

Front and rear brake set
Coilovers
Anti roll bars
Anti lift kit
Engine mounts
Semi slicks

That list will most probably do me for the year, I am possibly starting a new job this month so will have quite bit more wonga in my back pocket and also my mileage will be 1.8 miles per day so I won't be using the car during the week and only at the weekends. So I may strip the car as well but we'll see what happens.

Jake :happy2:

Offline Mayney

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 2
« Reply #145 on: March 24, 2017, 10:14:51 am »
Nice car man, need to decide what is the best brake upgrade for standard eddy wheels on mine.

Offline SurreyED30

• Thank You
« Reply #146 on: March 24, 2017, 03:47:54 pm »
thanks mate, most set ups fit with or without a spacer, i think TTRS and AKS BBK need a spacer but oe upgrades are a straight fit

Offline SurreyED30

• Thank You
« Reply #147 on: March 24, 2017, 03:50:27 pm »
Went through my pictures of my old eddy on my photo bucket account this afternoon and picked a few nice photos to share with you all. I spent a lot! Of money, time and effort getting this from complete stock to where it was when I sold it back in 2014.
The first 6 months of ownership/being on this forum lead to full stage 2 hardware, suspension, brakes, bracing and other bits n bobs. I’m sure I have a full spec list for this car somewhere; I have over 100 pictures of this build on my photobucket.
A few of you seen this at meets and when meeting up to buy stuff. Miss this car so much, sold it and it got wrote off within 5 months which was kinda heart breaking when MVB sent me the auction site link with the damaged pics!. Wonder where it is now…

full spec when i sold it

Spec:

Deep pearl black
Manual 6 speed
Heated edition 30 seats
Auto lights
Auto wipers
Auto dimming rear view mirror
Heated mirrors
Retrofitted Xenons
Retrofitted RNS510 V10 maps
Retrofitted cruise control
Retrofitted MY08 trip stalk
Full LED interior conversion
Few mk6 chrome tip buttons
Osram night breaker unlimited+
Team Heko tinted wind deflectors
Open fog grills with air duct
Newsouth boost gauge mounted in vent

ENGINE/BAY

REVO stage 2 tuned 334bhp 341lbft
Miltek 3" nonres Turbo back exhaust   
Audi s3 front mount intercooler 
Custom built 90mm intake
Forge recirculating valve 
New fuel injectors
BSH stage 2 catch can
NGK Iridium spark plugs BKR8EIX
Red audi R8 coilpacks
Red coilpack harness
New OEM HPFP & LPFP
Revision C Cam follower

SUSPENSION/BRAKING

Hunter 4 wheel alignment
REVO/Eurojet engine mount kit  (all 3 mounts)
TD Pro Race 1.2 18x8 ET4
Goodyear eagle F1 tires
Koni STR.T suspension set up
Audi TTrs top mount kit
H&R rear ARB 28mm 
H&R front anti roll bar
Powerflex bushes front + some rear
Audi S3 front & Rear brake conversion
Ferodo front brake pads
HEL braided brake lines                           
Motul RBF660 racing fluid

Simon_2.0T will remember this, first ever detail back in December 2013 that was a damn cold day!

« Last Edit: April 07, 2017, 03:42:33 pm by SurreyED30 »

Offline Stig_gti

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 10
    • Email
« Reply #148 on: March 24, 2017, 04:05:34 pm »
Beautiful cars there mate  :happy2:
Do you have the part numbers for the rear dust shields.

Offline SurreyED30

• Thank You
« Reply #149 on: March 27, 2017, 09:05:43 am »
Beautiful cars there mate  :happy2:
Do you have the part numbers for the rear dust shields.
I'll get them from the invoice for you this evening mate :happy2: