Make a donation

Author Topic: Nankang NS-2R  (Read 13815 times)

Offline tony_danza

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 112
  • The voice of objective reason, but mine's best.
Re: Nankang NS-2R
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2016, 07:25:58 pm »
NS-2Rs. Good tyres, soft walls. They're also deathly in the wet.

PSS are fine in the wet, but if you're looking for something purely for that, Rainsport 3s or pukka cut wets are where it's at.

It's always a touchy subject but Rainsport 3 are not as good as a decent tyre (eg Eagle F1 or Conti Sport 6) in the wet. This has been proven in dependant testing.

I really hate the RS3, they're OK, but not the best, raved about by people who only ever bought budget road tyres now have something "ok" and think it's amazing lol.

I find my AD08Rs only slighly rumbly, barely noticeable.
The 03g dunlops were very loud. but to be expected as per Rich's above.

Flash, glad your trackday went well :) you have to be going a fair old lick to be past the limits of any tyre really!

Maybe an application issue, I only know of people running them on very light cars. Perhaps weight and/or high power overwhelms them.

I've only ever ran my normal track tyres in the rain, so PS2/PSS/F1/Conti5 and all have been fine. Setting the suspension/ARBs to soft has a much better effect than worrying about grip in these circumstances TBH.
Sideways yo!

Offline Johnsy

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 7
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2016, 07:53:38 pm »
Anybody on here tried the Syron street race ?

Offline rich83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 801
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=dv896loqv8sliiuicridjsqrb6&/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2016, 09:53:31 pm »

Offline Johnsy

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 7
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2016, 09:18:00 am »
Anybody on here tried the Syron street race ?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BRAND-NEW-2x-225-40-ZR-18-SYRON-SEMI-SLICKS-TYRES-/222223062343?hash=item33bd86d547:g:ry0AAOSwll1W1DB5

At that price it would be rude not to try them

That's the reason I asked the question, I noticed them a while back but couldn't find any reviews, but recently found a couple reviews
http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Syron/Street-Race.htm
There actually £107 a corner at the moment on tyre leader in that size but they where £60-£70 .
Impending ring trip has got me wondering if there worth a shot or avoid at all cost

Offline flashp

• Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 65
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2016, 06:08:59 pm »
Well, some may have noticed the other thread I started regarding a change in ride height here: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,108663.0.html
The possible explanation here that the stiffer sidewalls are transferring energy into the spring causing the plastic deflectors (I think) to contact the road surface on occasion seems entirely plausible although as yet I've no evidence but I think it's a sound deduction based the experiences of @Pudding
Given this and the elevated noise levels I would have some reservations about these were it not for the fact that in 4 weeks or so the car will retire from daily duties.

The grip levels on track are way better than that with PSS but that accounts for a very small period of it's time being driven. I will say that when you are out on circuit all these things go completely out of your head.  :driver:

Can I continue to live with them??? :thinking: :popcornsoda: 
« Last Edit: September 01, 2016, 10:39:15 am by flashp »

Gone but not forgotten :-)

Offline xjay1337

• Thank You
  • -Receive: 377
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,88399.0.html
« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2016, 11:36:00 am »
Any track based tyre is going to be noiser.
Wider, softer tread blocks, less tread, etc. Physically there is so much more rubber actually contacting the road.

can't have it all!

i very much doubt the sidewalls is pushing more energy to the spring, the difference would be marginal, i suspect it's tyre on the inside of the wheel arch.
not only that but while a tyre may be advertised as 225/40/18 for example there is a big variation on actually how wide a tyre is. vredestein for example run very wide where as falken generally run on the thinner side. EG 225 may actually be 230 wide on vred where as it may only be 218 on a Falken.

combined with more squared off sidewalls rather than rounded sidewalls of road tyres you are more likely to get contact with the arch.

Offline flashp

• Thank You
« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2016, 08:03:38 am »
Any track based tyre is going to be noiser.
Wider, softer tread blocks, less tread, etc. Physically there is so much more rubber actually contacting the road.

can't have it all!

i very much doubt the sidewalls is pushing more energy to the spring, the difference would be marginal, i suspect it's tyre on the inside of the wheel arch.
not only that but while a tyre may be advertised as 225/40/18 for example there is a big variation on actually how wide a tyre is. vredestein for example run very wide where as falken generally run on the thinner side. EG 225 may actually be 230 wide on vred where as it may only be 218 on a Falken.

combined with more squared off sidewalls rather than rounded sidewalls of road tyres you are more likely to get contact with the arch.

I must admit that this is the first time I've run into issues with cross sectional shape of a tyre but I can appreciate how it would be a problem. I had another close look at the arches yesterday and there is evidence of the small lip on the wing being deflected a little, no clear rub marks on the tyre and it looks like it's not gone through the paint. I don't know that this didn't happen with the PSS fitted but I'd probably assume that it's unlikely.

This thread has been useful for me, I've picked up on a few things to look at. I think it'll be time to take the front wheels off at the weekend and have a proper look at the arches and liners.

Offline strell

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2016, 11:22:36 am »
Interesting read.
Have you also considered Federal RSRs as they seem to split the pack when compared to NS-2Rs

Offline flashp

• Thank You
« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2016, 06:17:47 am »
Interesting read.
Have you also considered Federal RSRs as they seem to split the pack when compared to NS-2Rs
I had, yes. TBH I couldn't find anything that differentiated them clearly enough so I simply took a punt if you like. Sometimes I wish tyres wore out quicker so I could get on to my next choice  :laugh: