Make a donation

Author Topic: Golf Mk5 GTI 05 Plate  (Read 29498 times)

Offline Randalllser

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • hello
    • Email
Petes GTI Update 04 01 17
« Reply #90 on: January 05, 2017, 10:26:13 am »
very nice scorp buds..
whitewalls will look mad,maybe try a thick orange wall and under a thin white one??

Offline peter_booker2003

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 7
    • Email
Re: Pete's GTI
« Reply #91 on: January 21, 2017, 09:42:24 pm »

21/01/2017

So the past week the GTI has seen some changes. Wasn't planning too much but some bits came up at good prices.

First thing to be bought and fitted was a Forge Intake with Pipercross Filter. Got this on eBay in great condition for just over £140. I had been looking at Revo/K and N but couldn't quite justify the £300 price tag for something that was only going to give me a little more noise.
It was all relatively easy to fit, with the worst part getting the old intake pipe off the top of the turbo. Clip came off easy enough but the pipe wouldn't budge. The car is nearly 12 years old after all. A bit of wiggling and swearing finally got it off. After that, it all went swimmingly. I didn't want to make the car sound "antisocial" but just wanted a little more noise. Pretty happy with how it's come out now.

The second item I hadn't planned on buying just yet were wheels but when a set of TD Pro Race 1.2's in 18's with Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta tyres came up for £300 I couldn't resist. Rims are pretty much immaculate, and the tyres all have 7mm+ tread left. The guy was only swapping them as he had swapped back to 17's on his Octavia. These did require new wheel bolts as the OEM wheels are radius and the TD's are Taper bolts but once found and bought they were ready to go.
The rears were a doddle to fit, but the fronts put up a good fight. The bolts would screw in 1/3rd of the way by hand and they pretty much stop. A mixture of new bolts and used hubs were to blame but with a bit of teasing, they went in without problem.

This does mean my 17' Monza's with Eagle F1's are for sale. Immaculate as they were reconditioned back In April 2016. The front left has one small kerb mark but the rest are immaculate. All tyres have 5mm+ Tread left too. Would be looking for £450 for these but open to sensible offers.

I love the way they look now, and can't wait to give the car a good clean this coming week. It is currently filthy, and has been for the past 3 weeks.  :fighting:

Brakes are being bled by Midland VW this coming Monday so thats one more thing ticked off the list too.

Will get some photos uploaded in the coming days, once the car is clean and gleaming.

Cheers
Past: MK5 Golf GTI, Black Magic Pearl, Xenons, SatNav, MFSW, Highline
Past: Edition 30 #1411, Tornado Red, Xenons, Revo Intake, H+R Springs, Highline, DSG,

Current: Mk5 Golf GTI, Steel Grey, 3dr, Manual

Offline golfmck1980

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 8
Re: Pete's GTI, TD Pro Race 1.2's and Forge Intake 21/01/17
« Reply #92 on: January 22, 2017, 05:02:02 pm »
Bloody hell TDs 1.2 with tyres for £300 is a steal. Jammy bugger
Edition 30 num 859

Offline peter_booker2003

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #93 on: January 23, 2017, 03:15:36 pm »
23/01/2017

As promised, here are some photos. Have given the car a once over this morning as it was filthy. Loving the wheels and the induction kit. Feels like I've made It mine now.

Brakes have been bled this morning so thats another service job ticked off the list. Im heading over to a mates garage in the morning to see how much he's going to charge me to get rid of a bit of rust on the drivers side sill and to to tidy up a few other little bits.

Next up on the list is a set of springs. These will be done along with a set of top mounts too. Just want to drop it 10mm as I think the arch gap is just a tad too much now.

Anyway, photos  :happy2: :happy2:

Past: Edition 30 #1411, Tornado Red, Xenons, Revo Intake, H+R Springs, Highline, DSG,

Offline prp74

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 37
  • -Receive: 126
« Reply #94 on: January 23, 2017, 06:13:57 pm »
Looking good. TD Pro Race 1.2's really suit the mk5  :happy2:
mk5 Graphite Blue GTI - Leathers, Xenons, MFD2, PDC, Boot Pop - SOLD
mk7 Pure White GTI - Performance Pack, Xenons, DSG, Leathers, Pro Nav, Dynaudio, Self Park, Keyless, 18" OZ Ultraleggera

Offline bonelorry

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 72
  • -Receive: 44
    • Email
« Reply #95 on: January 23, 2017, 10:45:26 pm »
Love the wheels, Hate the Intake though sorry!

Offline peter_booker2003

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
Re: Pedro's Magic GTi. Monza's back on!
« Reply #96 on: January 29, 2017, 01:29:37 pm »

29/01/2017

Well, the Monza's are back on and have sold the TD's. Mainly because I prefer the look of the Monza's and reckon they suit the car better.

It's funny you say that Bonelorry. I might be taking that back off at some point too as sometimes the noise is annoying, as you seem to have found looking at your thread.

Gave the car a good clean yesterday and a wax top up. It will have a full detail the next time I have a few days off. Likely mid March time. Have ordered some new plates for the car too. Same reg, just not pressed.
Also ordered some LED Puddle Light Bulbs for under the mirrors. They have been the standard 'yellow' bulb since I bought it but think the LED's will look great.

Seriously tempted by a trip to R-Tech. The car isn't lacking power but a little bit more wouldn't go a miss now would it? Just worried that it will destroy the clutch at 122000. Have heard of a couple of guys heading to R-Tech and them keeping the torque slightly lower to aid the clutch a little.

Anyway, was out early this morning and took some photos.  :happy2:

Offline peter_booker2003

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
Re: Pedro's Magic GTi. Monza's back on!
« Reply #97 on: March 06, 2017, 06:09:05 pm »
06/03/17

Thought it was time for a bit of an update after 5 weeks or so.

Gave the interior a good going over today. Ive done a fair few miles over the past few weeks and not had a chance to get it sorted. Had a rare day off today and the sun was shining so things just fell into place. It will get a decent exterior wash this coming weekend.

Cleaned all leather including steering wheel and doors using Auto Finesse Leather Cleaner.
Left to dry, followed by some Auto Finesse Leather Conditioner.
Thoroughly hoover'd carpets and mats.

Even went to the extent to clean the pedals and the footrest too.

Anyway, few photos to show how it looks now. The beige comes up real nice once its spotless.

Offline peter_booker2003

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
Re: Pedro's Magic GTi
« Reply #98 on: March 31, 2017, 08:36:44 pm »
31/03/17

I'm pretty much decided that the car will be staying so time to get modding. First things first is suspension. Springs, Top Mounts and Poly Bushes. Im going to go for the VWR Springs as they seem great value, and drop the car just the right amount. The top mounts are a little creaky so may aswell get these done at the same time and then I'm also going to take the opportunity to poly bush a few places.

I'm still learning with regards to the ins and outs of the car, but from experience, which places are best to get poly bushed first? The steering doesn't seem to direct anymore so would like to get this all tied in together.

Have had the week off work this week, so the car had a good detail on Tuesday along with the maintenance wash today after a trip into the peaks on Wednesday. Considering the car Is now 12 years old, it doesn't come out too bad in my opinion. The Poorboys Nattys Wax is great stuff too. Few photos below. Also got some VW Valve caps which I think are quite cool :)

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 392
  • -Receive: 316
Re: Golf Mk5 GTI 05 Plate, What springs and bushes?
« Reply #99 on: March 31, 2017, 09:23:47 pm »
Speak to Alex (AKS). He had a deal on the Superpro anti-lift kit recently. It's probably the best of the ALKs, and it's one part of the suspension that really benefits a stiffer bush, and encourages proper geometry under load. Give him a ring. At the very least, he'll be able to advise you.

It's all a bit of a balance though. You'll probably be better replacing some bushes with OEM rather than poly. If you do the lot with poly, things can get a bit harsh. Unless this is a track car, it'd be wise to weigh up OEM over anything stiffer. If you're really keen, have a look into uprated engine mounts. But again, be prepared for the trade off between a plush ride and performance.

Fingers crossed your valve caps stay where they are. I had my BBS caps on for about four days before some scrote nicked them!

Offline peter_booker2003

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #100 on: March 31, 2017, 09:30:50 pm »
Thanks AJP, Ill give Alex a call early on next week. Any advice as to which ones you would replace with OEM? Its my only/daily car so does a bit of everything.

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #101 on: March 31, 2017, 09:46:27 pm »
Thanks AJP, Ill give Alex a call early on next week. Any advice as to which ones you would replace with OEM? Its my only/daily car so does a bit of everything.
Things like the top mounts, ARB bushes, that kind of thing. I'd personally only use poly bushes that actually gave a worthwhile increase in handling performance for a daily road car on their own merit - the wishbone rear bush (ALK) being the obvious one.

You could polybush everything, and undoubtedly create razor sharp handling, but at the cost of comfort. Point is, to get that extra performance increase it's a case of all or nothing. Sum of the parts kind of thing. The ALK on its own does a big job on its own, so as part of a mainly OEM setup it's worthwhile.

It's fair to assume that lots of your original bushes are past their best, so in replacing the majority with OEM, you'll still claw back a tighter handling car, without the losing any ride quality. You should actually gain some back.

Offline peter_booker2003

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #102 on: March 31, 2017, 10:01:46 pm »
Thanks AJP, thats a big help  :happy2:

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #103 on: March 31, 2017, 10:03:27 pm »
No probs mate

Offline peter_booker2003

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #104 on: April 25, 2017, 10:11:09 pm »
So...as some of you may have spotted, I'm now the owner of a lovely Red ED30 so this is now for sale.

Will be really sad to see this go as I have loved every minute of ownership.

£4200 ono for anyone possibly interested.