Make a donation

Author Topic: Buying guide for Mk5 Gti  (Read 2925 times)

Texaroo

Buying guide for Mk5 Gti
« on: August 25, 2016, 05:31:45 pm »
Hi
Looking for a guide to help me find a Mk5 gti, I have owned a Mk2 for 20 years but know nothing about mk5s . Any advice what to look for would be much appreciated. I am a bit confused do they have cam chains or belts ? I have heard they use quite a bit of oil is this true and how much roughly per 1000 miles. Corrosion on wheel arches, surely not on a VW ?
More advice the better, thanks.
Mark

Offline shoaybmakda

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 54
Re: Buying guide for Mk5 Gti
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2016, 08:02:17 am »
Hi mark

They have both a belt and a chain - if the chains on its way out it can start to sound like a diesel so obvious sign really.

Yes unfortunately the MK5s do suffer from rust on the arches (shock horror!) but if your lucky like me you might be able to get them replaced for free by your local dealer (depends how nice they are feeling!) I also had rust on my rear tailgate around the boot handle.

Common issues appear to be the PCV valve (causes weird idling) and diverter valves being torn (will be obvious - the car will drive like it's lacking boost) - both are cheap fixes and not overly costly. Apart from that it's just the luck of the draw really my MK5 is on 125k and the only main thing I've had to change is an injector.

Good luck in your search and let us know how you get on! :happy2:

Offline jon_hill

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 3
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2016, 03:28:04 pm »
I've owned mine for 2.5 years now and it's hardly skipped a beat! Common problems are rust around the arches as you say, and as Texaroo has touched upon you should aim for one that has had the cam chains, tensioner and pulley service already done (approx 75,000 miles I was advised).

One thing to consider is if it's a DSG gearbox it should've been serviced regularly and be super smooth (BIG bills if they go wrong!). And go for good condition over good spec, there's a raft of retro fitters out there to up spec your car rather than chasing garage bills on a high spec'd unloved example.

Other than that they are great cars (super versatile - never not out of place) and will have you smiling all the way there!

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 392
  • -Receive: 316
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2016, 05:17:51 pm »
Rear calipers seizing. That's a really common one!

nkp

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2016, 03:34:52 pm »
Service history. Check how often its had its oil changed, if its been on long life it could have been a few years between each changes, if thats the case the pickup/strainer in the sump could be a bit blocked with crap which can lead to oil pressure issues/warnings. Mine was on longlife but the previous owner had it oil changed yearly and the strainer was near spotless (i wasn't to know this but got the garage to change it with the oil change being due anyway).

A general check service history wise as it maybe due its cam belt, water pump and thats a few hundred £ to factor in (or get knocked off). If its not been owned by an enthusiast chances are the cam follower has never been checked or replaced, these aren't on the service. Mine got changed at 73k for i believe the first time and it wasn't caput but had plenty of wear. Not expensive and a guide on here will see you right.

Check the aircon works properly and goes ice cold.

Tyres - see if they are a good brand and all match, often a good indicator of what budget the car has been run on.

Check the spare wheel area under the carpet for water, often this can be the boot seal or the rear light seal.

HPI check incase its been binned or stolen. Check panel gaps around the car for anything which looks either really small or large.

Hope this helps