Make a donation

Author Topic: AJP's Build - back in love with the GTI  (Read 27772 times)

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 392
  • -Receive: 316
AJP's Build - back in love with the GTI
« on: August 25, 2016, 08:39:18 pm »
I seem to have got to a point recently where I'm getting more grief and cost from the car than actual enjoyment. This is probably, in part, due to me getting used to the power, so I don't really get that buzz from it like I used to.

But there just seems to be so many annoying little things that added up are holding me back from enjoying it like I should. Things like the rattly interior, crap standard brakes, and so on. The problem at the minute is that my 'upgrades budget' is being eaten into by ongoing reliability issues. Some of you might have read the thread about the misfires. For example, I've got a pair of mk7 Clubsport calipers that have been sat in a box for weeks. I just can't take the upgrades any further when the engine isn't even running properly.

I've already invested a big chunk into the car, it's got an uprated clutch, Powervalve, Loba pump etc, and I'm not thinking about selling, because I do see its potential. I have plans for a k04 or hybrid k03, maybe coilovers, some decent speakers/amp/HU, the list goes on. But right now the thought of it just doesn't excite me.

So, I was just wondering if anyone else had been in a similar position, and what you did to get your love back for the car. Was it one mod in particular? And what can I do to make it a nicer place to sit? I'm thinking about the interior rattles. There's one somewhere under the steering wheel that bugs the hell out of me. Anyone had any luck in stripping things down and using that anti rattle tape?

I just need some inspiration from somewhere. Yeah, I've got the usual mod list of things done and things to do, but even then there's nothing that really stands out as missing from the car, just a number of little areas of improvement. So its hard for me to get inspired.

What would you do?

Offline andy7ven

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 30
Re: AJP's Build - back in love with the GTI
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2016, 08:48:57 pm »
For me it's the interior rattles, I've had the car since 2009 and still can't solve them... The dash vent is still the worst, I've put sound deadening tape and foam everywhere in and around it and still it rattles!!! Surely someone when testing the MK5 flagged it up! Saying that it wasn't on the MK6 so someone must have realised they'd dropped a b*llock...!  :laugh:

The constant chattering sound from the boot/rear area, the rattling passenger seat when no one is in it, the door cards rattle... The list goes on!

The road noise in the cabin also, can't hear the radio for it...

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2016, 08:53:56 pm »
For me it's the interior rattles, I've had the car since 2009 and still can't solve them... The dash vent is still the worst, I've put sound deadening tape and foam everywhere in and around it and still it rattles!!! Surely someone when testing the MK5 flagged it up! Saying that it wasn't on the MK6 so someone must have realised they'd dropped a b*llock...! 

The constant chattering sound from the boot/rear area, the rattling passenger seat when no one is in it, the door cards rattle... The list goes on!

The road noise in the cabin also, can't hear the radio for it...
Yeah I get all of that in mine. As well as the seat belt adjuster on the b-pillar constantly rattling, like a ticking noise... right in my ear.

All this puts me off the idea of coilovers. If it's like that now then I don't want to know how rough and creaky it'd be with firmer suspension.

Offline andy7ven

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 30
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2016, 09:01:47 pm »
It's beautiful on fresh smooth tarmac, but god go on the old rough stuff and it's deafening... Rattle, Rattle, Chatter, Chatter ect...  :ashamed:

I suspect the armrest in the rear seat, but it could be the rear seat latch (I've put felt tape on the brackets and slammed them into place hard but no joy)

Dashboard diffuser, temperature dependent sometimes rattles like mad, other times not to bad... Think its actually the vents in it rattling more than the top piece...

Like you everytime something goes wrong I just think flog it, It's getting older and worth less and less, get something newer better built but I know I'd be making a mistake!!!  :laugh:

Offline Norfolk Ollie

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 4
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2016, 09:38:48 pm »
Hi AJP- it's funny, I've been disapointed with my standard car's performance, hence the imminent re-map, but what surprised me was when my wife drove us back from the coast a few weeks back. She was being quite sensible, until we got lost (my fault obviously), after which she was booting it left, right and centre- WOW how fast the car felt when I was in the passenger seat- it was bizarre! Seemed like a different beast.. the car felt different too!!  :signLOL:
I know it's a little thing but try riding shotgun and see it through fresh eyes maybe? Just my observations fella, cheers Ollie.  :happy2:

Offline markrtw

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2016, 09:50:18 pm »
I feel for you guys. I'm lucky with my 2005. No rattles or noises from the interior. Uses almost no oil too. It's not perfect by any means, but at least it does not irritate me to distraction.

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2016, 10:26:21 pm »
I wouldn't say it feels slow. It's not a sense of speed it's lacking, just a bit of refinement to go with it. In fact it's at its best when it's being driven hard.

I would like it to look a bit more purposeful, which is why I'm considering coilovers. It's on H&R springs at the minute, which do a good job of getting rid of the arch gap, but it doesn't quite have that kind of aggression that a car with a proper stance has. However, with all these rattles, I'm hesitant to make things worse.

I wonder if there's any retrimmer or audio place that would take on a job of getting rid of interior rattles? It's probably not a million miles away from doing sound deadening.

It's got an R32 rear, ed30 front, BBS VZ, so it's halfway there, but still doesn't make me think 'wow' when I see it parked up. Ed30 rear lights and xenons are on the list.

Maybe I should put the k04 on hold, make do with Stage 2, and concentrate on a bit of a refresh. Bushes, interior rattles, a good audio install, coilovers. And finally get those bigger brakes on.

Offline Rippers

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 20
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,105772.0.html
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2016, 01:58:16 pm »
Get a pic up or build thread AJP.  Let other see what you have achieved and once the complementary comments start rolling in you'll feel better about the car.

I know a guy who spent a fortune on re-trimming a mk4 R32, it looks amazing but he's now stressing about the finish on the paint and the exhaust note.

I think people like us are never happy and will always strive for perfection. Its just (as always) limited to funds..

Offline Kalpsn2000

• Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 56
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2016, 03:19:17 pm »
I feel for you guys. Luckily my 2007 hasn't developed any rattles...yet (touching lots of wood :smiley:) Rattles would really bug the hell out of me!

Does have its own issues though, the AC is busted so end up roasting for maybe 5 days a year :grin:

In terms of mods I've got the car how I want it now. Still enjoy driving it, still gets my heart pumping with the lead foot!

I'm actually more worried about letting it go now as not sure I can get something as fun for the same value (especially as in the past year I've got married and bought a house)!

Hi AJP- it's funny, I've been disapointed with my standard car's performance, hence the imminent re-map, but what surprised me was when my wife drove us back from the coast a few weeks back. She was being quite sensible, until we got lost (my fault obviously), after which she was booting it left, right and centre- WOW how fast the car felt when I was in the passenger seat- it was bizarre! Seemed like a different beast.. the car felt different too!!  :signLOL:
I know it's a little thing but try riding shotgun and see it through fresh eyes maybe? Just my observations fella, cheers Ollie.  :happy2:

It's funny you mention that Ollie as I have experienced the same when in the passenger seat...feels quicker :laugh:
Diamond Black 2007 (56) Golf GTI 3Dr DSG ¦ 18" Monza II's ¦ Cruise control ¦ MFSW ¦ Highline ¦ Rear parking sensors ¦ PDT Stage 1 ¦ Forge Twintake ¦ H&R Sport Springs ¦ NQSBBK ¦ R32 Rear bumper ¦ BCS Powervalve Sports R32 style TBE ¦ Valeo LED Rear Lights ¦ Xenon lights with HID kit ¦ DNX521DAB ¦ 12mm Spacers all round ¦

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2016, 08:11:48 pm »
Get a pic up or build thread AJP.  Let other see what you have achieved and once the complementary comments start rolling in you'll feel better about the car.

I know a guy who spent a fortune on re-trimming a mk4 R32, it looks amazing but he's now stressing about the finish on the paint and the exhaust note.

I think people like us are never happy and will always strive for perfection. Its just (as always) limited to funds..

I'm quite happy with it aesthetically. I managed to get the wings sorted under warranty/goodwill earlier in the year, and the paintwork is pretty good in general. I'm happy with the rear; I'd always liked the R32 rear, so when I asked Nige to do the Powervalve group buy I knew which direction I was taking it.

Front end needs tidying up. Love the ed30 front but the grilles are a bit tired. Going to get them done in gloss black. And maybe get a US grille and a flush number plate.

Xenons and R32/ed30 rear lights are on the list.

Mechanically... well there's the ongoing misfire issue, but when it's having a good day it's brilliant to drive. 345lb/ft at 3200rpm just makes it so usable. Stage 2 at the min, but I've got plans for a k03 hybrid. Still on the standard brakes, so I have some mk7 GTI PP/Clubsport calipers ready:

It's on H&R springs on standard shocks. The shocks will need replacing at some point, so I need to decide whether to go for something like the VWR shocks or some good coilovers. I'd love it another 20mm lower.

The interior needs a bit of attention. It's got a factory phone kit, which needs to go. It's such an ugly thing. Along with the rcd300 stereo. I'm hoping to do a good install with an Android head unit so I can display Torque Pro on a decent size screen (live parameters like boost, AFR, oil temperature etc) and hopefully achieve a decent sound quality with a processor, amp, good speakers and sound deadening.

It's a good spec. Sunroof, lux pack, winter pack etc.

So there's a little 'build post', rather than build thread
« Last Edit: September 01, 2016, 08:36:24 pm by AJP »

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2016, 02:57:51 pm »
Good choice of beer  :smiley:

I feel the same way sometimes.   I never get bored of Stage 1 Edition 30 power though I have to say, and I've had some interesting tussles with cars I didn't expect to keep up with recently, such as a 335i, A45 AMG, Stage 2 Edition 30 DSG (mine's manual) etc......so that justifies the cost of the loba, helix, MK6 R intercooler, APR dp and mapping etc.

Things like replacing injectors, coils, plugs and decokes etc is just maintenance to me.  I love doing that sh*t and it's easy, it's just finding the time to do it these days.

Like you, it's the rattling and the chassis feeling it's age that gets me down, especially as it's a daily.

I did actually price up some leasing options I was that bored / fed up of it, but the maths didn't work for me.  I own my car and all the mods outright, nothing on it is on credit.  So to get 300+hp on a monthly scheme, plus a deposit down......nah, not worth it.  And how long before I get bored of a Golf R (or what ever) after the novelty has worn off....and I don't even own it??

Nah, stick to it mate.  Get the K04 on it, you'll love it even more!    Rattles are easy to fix, just need patience pinpointing and sorting them all.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2016, 09:33:55 am »
Good choice of beer  :smiley:

I feel the same way sometimes.   I never get bored of Stage 1 Edition 30 power though I have to say, and I've had some interesting tussles with cars I didn't expect to keep up with recently, such as a 335i, A45 AMG, Stage 2 Edition 30 DSG (mine's manual) etc......so that justifies the cost of the loba, helix, MK6 R intercooler, APR dp and mapping etc.

Things like replacing injectors, coils, plugs and decokes etc is just maintenance to me.  I love doing that sh*t and it's easy, it's just finding the time to do it these days.

Like you, it's the rattling and the chassis feeling it's age that gets me down, especially as it's a daily.

I did actually price up some leasing options I was that bored / fed up of it, but the maths didn't work for me.  I own my car and all the mods outright, nothing on it is on credit.  So to get 300+hp on a monthly scheme, plus a deposit down......nah, not worth it.  And how long before I get bored of a Golf R (or what ever) after the novelty has worn off....and I don't even own it??

Nah, stick to it mate.  Get the K04 on it, you'll love it even more!    Rattles are easy to fix, just need patience pinpointing and sorting them all.
I've just nipped out to the shop and took the bypass home. I don't know if I'm imagining it but it always feels stronger when it's just up to temperature (90 deg coolant plus ten minutes) rather than run for a while. Maybe I need a better intercooler!

But yeah, it flies. I'm a long way from getting bored of it, but I'd like to iron out the 'idiosyncrasies'. You're right in what you're saying Pudding.

Offline lukemk5gti

• Thank You
  • -Given: 28
  • -Receive: 118
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,89715.msg907250.html#msg907250
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2016, 10:44:43 am »
I just said this last night "feels stronger when getting up to temperature".

I figure it's because while its warming up the ecu limits power slightly so when you finally get around 80deg+ you then get a little bit more but then you're accustomed to it after about 10 more mins so it doesn't feel as fast there on.

I thought it was just in my head!

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2016, 11:07:21 am »

I figure it's because while its warming up the ecu limits power slightly so when you finally get around 80deg+ you then get a little bit more but then you're accustomed to it after about 10 more mins so it doesn't feel as fast there on.

Yeah there's definitely something going on, like it's 'fresh' power that then seems to dial back a bit? And there is that psychological aspect - after 20 minutes or so of giving it the beans you're desensitised to the power!

I reckon charge temps are the most likely factor though. A k03 at Stage 2 or 2+ is working its balls off. I'd imagine a k03 at 270bhp gets a fair bit warmer than a k04 at 300bhp for example.

Offline jhook661

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 20
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,98678.0.html
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2016, 02:36:02 pm »

Yeah there's definitely something going on, like it's 'fresh' power that then seems to dial back a bit? And there is that psychological aspect - after 20 minutes or so of giving it the beans you're desensitised to the power!

I reckon charge temps are the most likely factor though. A k03 at Stage 2 or 2+ is working its balls off. I'd imagine a k03 at 270bhp gets a fair bit warmer than a k04 at 300bhp for example.
What intercooler gave you got? @AJP
Modded Golf gti CDL engine TTE420 turbo
Rtech 440bhp 429ftlb