Make a donation

Author Topic: AJP's Build - back in love with the GTI  (Read 27775 times)

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 392
  • -Receive: 316
Re: AJP's Build - back in love with the GTI
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2016, 02:40:20 pm »
I just said this last night "feels stronger when getting up to temperature".

I figure it's because while its warming up the ecu limits power slightly so when you finally get around 80deg+ you then get a little bit more but then you're accustomed to it after about 10 more mins so it doesn't feel as fast there on.

I thought it was just in my head!
Yeah there's definitely something going on, like it's 'fresh' power that then seems to dial back a bit? And there is that psychological aspect - after 20 minutes or so of giving it the beans you're desensitised to the power!

I reckon charge temps are the most likely factor though. A k03 at Stage 2 or 2+ is working its balls off. I'd imagine a k03 at 270bhp gets a fair bit warmer than a k04 at 300bhp for example.
What intercooler gave you got? @AJP
Standard at the minute mate. Will be going for an S3/mk6 R if I stay k03 or Peron if I go k04/k03 hybrid.

Offline jhook661

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 20
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,98678.0.html
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2016, 03:02:22 pm »
Good plan @AJP   :happy2: that'll be why it feels sluggish when the intake temps rise the Ecu will pull back the timing making it feel slow
Also putting a k04 will help that slow feeling  :evilgrin:
Modded Golf gti CDL engine TTE420 turbo
Rtech 440bhp 429ftlb

Offline Mark_DF05

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 23
  • -Receive: 8
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2016, 03:03:57 pm »
I'm with you on this, maybe not to the point where I'm considering selling but agree some things are starting to irritate me.

The rattling drives me insane and despite plenty of attempts to eliminate them they still return.

I always thought that the day I get a little tired of the car I'd just get it mapped to bring the excitement back but I've had it over 2 years now and still haven't got round to it due to various other things getting in the way, be it cosmetic or mechanical maintenance. It seems that every time I'm close something else needs doing which is more important. That's the same with every car though, they all need maintaining and we all know modifying isn't cheap. I've retrofitted genuine xenon headlights and upgraded the suspension which transformed the car but I think I might leave it at that for now.

Sometimes I think spending a bit of time giving it a good clean and taking for a nice drive can make you appreciate it more. I do think it's hard to find a replacement without spending a lot of money.

Offline unzippy

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 13
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2016, 04:48:00 pm »

I figure it's because while its warming up the ecu limits power slightly so when you finally get around 80deg+ you then get a little bit more but then you're accustomed to it after about 10 more mins so it doesn't feel as fast there on.

Wait until winter :laugh:

My G60s properly picked up in the winter, I can't wait to see what K04 at 300+bhp feels like!

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2016, 04:51:14 pm »

Wait until winter

My G60s properly picked up in the winter, I can't wait to see what K04 at 300+bhp feels like!
This is true! Mine really enjoyed the cold air last winter. Only a couple of months to wait for the organic mini remap

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2016, 05:12:45 pm »
I'm with you on this, maybe not to the point where I'm considering selling but agree some things are starting to irritate me.

The rattling drives me insane and despite plenty of attempts to eliminate them they still return.

I always thought that the day I get a little tired of the car I'd just get it mapped to bring the excitement back but I've had it over 2 years now and still haven't got round to it due to various other things getting in the way, be it cosmetic or mechanical maintenance. It seems that every time I'm close something else needs doing which is more important. That's the same with every car though, they all need maintaining and we all know modifying isn't cheap. I've retrofitted genuine xenon headlights and upgraded the suspension which transformed the car but I think I might leave it at that for now.

Sometimes I think spending a bit of time giving it a good clean and taking for a nice drive can make you appreciate it more. I do think it's hard to find a replacement without spending a lot of money.
That's exactly it. Having a 'to do list' and then all the budget going on repairs. I'm not giving up yet though!

Offline r5gtt

• Thank You
  • -Given: 342
  • -Receive: 334
« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2016, 07:20:17 pm »
After driving mine in the rain today I've now got so much hatred for this car  :sick: :doh:

Offline slix

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 38
  • Stage 1 ED30 Owner
« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2016, 08:31:14 pm »
After driving mine in the rain today I've now got so much hatred for this car  :sick: :doh:

Why? Wheel spin?  :laugh:
Stage "1.5" ED30 [330BHP] Rtech

Offline r5gtt

• Thank You
« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2016, 09:01:51 pm »

Why? Wheel spin?  :laugh:
Yeah I can't even move off gently ffs ans when pressing on the gas in a higher gear it spins :doh:

Offline Juliand

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 14
  • -Receive: 18
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2016, 11:22:48 pm »
yeah, had a really shyte drive back from the midlands to south coast today...mpg was pap with rain and air con on /of to keep the windows clear- twats on the road on M40/ A34 / M3/ M27- really fed up today..... Not  a pleasant drive back at all..... maybe cos i went up and back in the same day,  and I'm knacked and irritable........some real idiots out there

Offline r5gtt

• Thank You
« Reply #25 on: September 03, 2016, 11:31:14 pm »
yeah, had a really shyte drive back from the midlands to south coast today...mpg was pap with rain and air con on /of to keep the windows clear- twats on the road on M40/ A34 / M3/ M27- really fed up today..... Not  a pleasant drive back at all..... maybe cos i went up and back in the same day,  and I'm knacked and irritable........some real idiots out there
I had the same coming back from Kent to sh*t old east london lol so I hear you Juliand.

dansmith180

« Reply #26 on: September 04, 2016, 02:13:53 am »
In the last year mine has had.

New turbo
New downpipe
New HPFP
New intercooler
New clutch and DMF
New injectors
New front brake kit
New map

Drove it 3000 miles and a spark plug blew which lead to it not running right.

Then

New LPFP
New engine with a sh*t load of work done
New engine and gearbox mounts
New turbo core
Another new LPFP
Whole new exhaust
New map
New gearbox

And it still makes a sh*tty rattling noise when engaging gear and at low rpm (sometimes on idle), also something knocks at the front end sometimes, also a rattly flappy noise. I actually looked at Diesel Seat Leon's last weekend I was so fed up.

Then I took it for a spank and couldn't stop giggling like a twat, it's a stupid terrible car that drives me mad but I do love it.

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #27 on: September 04, 2016, 11:35:16 am »

New turbo
New downpipe
New HPFP
New intercooler
New clutch and DMF
New injectors
New front brake kit
New map

Then

New LPFP
New turbo core
Another new LPFP
Whole new exhaust
New map
New gearbox

And it still makes a sh*tty rattling noise when engaging gear and at low rpm (sometimes on idle), also something knocks at the front end sometimes, also a rattly flappy noise. I actually looked at Diesel Seat Leon's last weekend I was so fed up.

Then I took it for a spank and couldn't stop giggling like a twat, it's a stupid terrible car that drives me mad but I do love it.
Your last paragraph epitomises the whole mk5 GTI experience for me Dan. When it's good, it's brilliant fun. When it's bad, it's irritating.

Funny thing is, no amount of reviews from the likes of Evo ever scratched the surface anywhere near enough to hint at the long term running issues the majority of us experience. Reviewed on a good day, it really is close to that 5 star car it was touted as. The issues though - especially when we're turning the power up by 50bhp at the conservative end of the modding scale - start to rear their head years after motoring journalists have had their brief fun.

If my car was bone standard I'm sure right now I'd be considering selling. But I think you get to a point where you've 'invested' so much in it that you can't help feeling commited to seeing it through. It could be that once I find the cause of this misfire it remains healthy and reliable for months and years to come. Or I might just end up with some other annoyingly intermittent problem taking its place, and it's that worry - expecting something to go wrong - that takes the shine off the whole experience. The modding budget is no longer a modding budget, more a 'keeping it alive' budget.

On that note, it developed a new noise yesterday. Going slowly over a series of speed bumps (the horrible square ones) it's started groaning from the front. I don't know if it's a damper, bush, something to do with the undertray, or something I'll never diagnose. I'm only 30mm down, and nothing fouled as far as I know. So yeah, one more issue added to the list. How surprising.

Offline Mr Scruff

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 2
« Reply #28 on: October 08, 2016, 07:56:04 pm »
Apologies for bumping an elderly thread but just joined and interested in reading some history...

I have a Porsche 996 in the garage as my fun car (until recently it was my daily); the one that no one likes and was poorly made.  You know what? It is too. My 2007 GTi rattles a million times less, it's much more usable and don't even get me started with the bills that a 996 can generate. The idle is lumpy, the clutch is a nightmare and the ride bone-jarring. Oh, and every time I take it out it breaks.

My point? We do these things 'cos we love them. Yes, they'll drive us potty (4 days in with the Golf and I'm already annoyed with some stuff...) but the alternative is that we all drive 1.2 KiaHyundaiWhatever boring white good cars. My wife suggested I get a 4 year old Ford Focus instead of the GTi but frankly I couldn't cope with the idea; sure they're a good car but just don't interest me.

Take a break. Try and borrow a Micra or some other low powered shopping trolley. For me each time I did it I realised I would continue to put up with the faults just to drive something that didn't send me to sleep! All cars have issues, the GTi holds its own as far as I'm concerned, despite the faults.

Offline r5gtt

• Thank You
« Reply #29 on: October 09, 2016, 02:31:08 pm »

New turbo
New downpipe
New HPFP
New intercooler
New clutch and DMF
New injectors
New front brake kit
New map

Then

New LPFP
New turbo core
Another new LPFP
Whole new exhaust
New map
New gearbox

That's some mega bad luck or something going on there mate  :surprised: