Make a donation

Author Topic: AJP's Build - back in love with the GTI  (Read 27775 times)

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 392
  • -Receive: 316
Re: AJP's Build - back in love with the GTI
« Reply #90 on: April 22, 2017, 01:21:34 pm »
Great thread matey the ed30 lights do transform the rear, they look better on red cars I think
Thanks pal

Yeah it's hopefully something I'll get done at some point. The current 'red on red' look needs to go! I had my eye on a set of R32 rears on ebay a few weeks ago, but they ended up bidding up to silly money.

No rush for them just yet though, I want to try and be sensible and get up to scratch with maintenance first. But when I do get round to it I'll also be looking to get some xenons/Depos to complete the look

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
« Reply #91 on: April 22, 2017, 05:22:04 pm »
I thought ED30 and R32 rear lights were the same?  Or do you mean those horrible white ones?  Don't do it mate, yours looks absolutely spot on as it is  :happy2:

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline rich83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 801
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=k0vb8vhs2ed46mhbkbhi9haih2&/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #92 on: April 23, 2017, 12:43:02 am »
I thought ED30 and R32 rear lights were the same?  Or do you mean those horrible white ones?  Don't do it mate, yours looks absolutely spot on as it is  :happy2:

They are.  :happy2:

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #93 on: April 23, 2017, 09:27:31 am »
Yeah, the ones on ebay were listed as 'R32' - the same as ed30.

And as for the 'horrible white ones', if you mean Valeos, then I completely agree. They're foul!

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #94 on: March 29, 2018, 07:59:21 pm »
Wow... been almost a year since I updated this!

The Vogtland coilovers have proven to be a good bet, they're still tight and feel just as good as when they were fitted. No issues whatsoever.

I've finally got round to sorting the brakes. Got some new PP calipers with OEM pads that will be going on with some two piece Clubsport S discs in a week or so. The PP calipers coming off will be sent for a full rebuild and refurb - I'm convinced there's a sticky piston so I want them sorting 100% before I move them on.

The clutch slave popped a few weeks ago, which was new with the Helix Organic clutch that went in a couple of years ago. Bit disappointing that the cylinder died so soon, but I gather they're not of the best construction. They don't like heat. Also had an alarm fault that needed a new sensor and siren. Quite an expensive couple of months.

Still a love/hate affair with the Ramair intake. Love the dumping noises and reasonable increase in power from 4k up, hate the weird resonance noises you get from intakes on a k03 car. I've been reading up on Pudding's work with the VWR intake (well done mate). I won't rule out picking up one of the revised versions in the future. The Ramair also sits questionably close to some coolant hoses. It won't kill me to go back to the standard airbox if all else fails. I won't lose too much top end, might claw back a bit of the response it's lost coming onto boost, and I'll sleep better at night knowing nothing dodgy is happening like rubbing through a coolant hose...!

As for top end power, a k04 is still there in the back of my mind. It's an itch that won't go away. Steve at Statller has high praise for the Etuners maps he does, as does Hurdy, so I'll probably go for that rather than back to R-Tech if and when the k04 gets bolted in. Makes sense to me to let Steve do the lot, he's only 20 minutes away, and I'm interested to find out how good the Etuners maps are. From what I gather there are loads of options... such as a bit of extra fuel on the overrun if you know what I mean. Might need to change the BCS cat to a decat to stay safe but it's a bit of fun at the end of the day :)

Intercooler wise I need to find out about the revised Peron, if it's actually a thing yet. Seems to differ depending who you speak to. There's always the S3 cooler as a safe bet.

So not much of an update, but more an 'all is currently fine' post! Still get a buzz driving it in the right conditions, still surprises some genuinely fast stuff on the road. I'll keep her alive as long as I can :)

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #95 on: April 04, 2018, 01:54:26 pm »
 :grin:  Jesus wept!

Anyway, good updates AJP  :happy2: Looking forward to your forthcoming brake review. Still haven’t done mine yet  :slap:

The S3 is more than adequate for a K03/04 road only car imo.  Dyno tuners like to see the lowest possible intake temps in order to eek out their claimed hp gains, but hot dyno cells heat soak an engine/intercooler way more than they will ever see out in the open.  A little fan doesn’t even come close to nature’s finest :happy2:

Racingline were very complimentary about ETuners when I was there, talking shop, so you’ll be in good hands there.  You’re lucky Statlers is so close to you!

Offline Shoduchi

• Thank You
  • -Given: 220
  • -Receive: 429
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,95592.msg952042.html
« Reply #96 on: April 04, 2018, 02:08:56 pm »
Yeah! Finally an update!  :pomppomp: (I also have to update mine... :innocent: )

Glad you're happy with the Vogtlands. If you want more top end, the K04 is a good bet. The K03 will always be more responsive on lower revs so you might miss that responsiveness.

About the IC, I'd go for the Airtec stage 2, if you upgrade the turbo. It's a safe bet with a similar price. The Peron seems to be always revising...

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #97 on: April 04, 2018, 07:21:55 pm »
Cheers guys!

Right now I'm at the 'keep everything sweet' stage... so in the summer at service time I'll look into more preventative measures to hopefully give it the best chance of a healthy life as an OAP. It's 11 this year!

At that point then I'll look at further upgrades. Small financial matter of doing up the house at the minute but any funds left over will undoubtedly go into the go-faster kitty :)

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #98 on: April 11, 2018, 07:03:51 pm »
Got her home today from Statller.

Clubsport S discs with brand new calipers and pads. New cam follower. Fixed a split/popped clutch valve thingy. Dropped the oil etc. Boring preventative maintenance really, but I think these cars are now getting to the age you've got to commit to that and spend some money, or move on.

Next trip around summer will be a big service and fuel filter, oil pickup, potentially chain tensioner. Then maybe some fun bits...

All being well I'll start stockpiling bits for a k04. I've got a few parts already, a boost hose, dv relocation wiring etc. I know there's a fair bit more but I guess with those parts already there I'm obliged to see it through ☺ Really the main things will be injectors, a suitable IC, and of course the blower itself. I'll need to find out what hardware Etuners recommend for a k04 conversion. Things like the MAP sensor.

I'll probably look at getting a bit of paint done on the front end too. The bonnet is a bit stonechipped, and I've still got to get round to painting the honeycomb.

It's a slow build, like all my others in the past... but I think I prefer it that way!

Offline MIJ_JAGGER

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 103
  • -Receive: 77
« Reply #99 on: April 12, 2018, 10:39:11 am »
How you finding the CSS discs?

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #100 on: April 12, 2018, 10:59:02 am »
I doubt he’ll feel any difference, but they will resist warping better  :happy2:

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #101 on: April 12, 2018, 11:54:40 pm »
There's no judder from the brakes so far... but I've only done a few gentle miles so I'll update in due course. I'll be surprised if it happens again with everything brand new!

I did notice a couple of times today moving off from a stop a slow groaning noise from the offside front... like the noise a bad bearing makes but in slow-mo. No noise at all up past about 5mph and it's intermittent. I did get a front wheel bearing done last year but I can't remember which side. I'll keep an eye on it.

Just nice to have silent brakes finally