Make a donation

Author Topic: Aircon delete  (Read 7551 times)

Offline Chris92

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 33
  • -Receive: 35
  • If you're smart in this world they call you crazy
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,109742.0.html
Aircon delete
« on: August 30, 2016, 09:53:14 pm »
Once the rad, pump and pipes are removed from the car I understand I will need the shorter aux belt but what do people do with the two holes in the bulk head where the two aircon pipes connected to? Is there a blanking plate or anything?

Also will this put any codes on dash?

Just planning in my mind for when I get another golf, will be removing the aircon when I fit a uprated intercooler mainly so you can see it through the grill, little weight saving and plus it's just pointless in the uk I never use it nor regas it so it's can go

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
Re: Aircon delete
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2016, 10:27:54 am »
I used to think the same way, but this year AC has been a godsend, even if it is a little lacking in the MK5 (I.e. takes ages, imo, to get the cabin temp down).

Do the pipes come into the car at the same place on both left and right hand drive?  Just thinking there might be an OEM blanking option from LHD/RHD differences, or lesser models with no AC?

Climate should still work using the usual blend door operation, but obvs you won't ever get lower than ambient temp.  There will defo be a fault code in the HVAC module, but I don't think it will put a dash light on.  You could pop a resistor across the AC pump connector?

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline white91

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 13
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2016, 04:00:45 pm »
Is it really worth it? The seats weigh 75kg each, it's never gonna be a dedicated sports car

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Chris92

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2016, 06:34:57 pm »
Is it really worth it? The seats weigh 75kg each, it's never gonna be a dedicated sports car

Is it really worth it?well why not I say?

To change the intercooler il be right down to the acon rad and pump anyways, like I said it would be nice for the logo on the intercooler to be visible that was the main thing I wanted. The weight saving is just a bonus, yes it may not be much but once you change brakes, wheels etc etc it soon mounts up to a not to be sniffed at weight saving. It will only be a weekend toy as il have a mk4 tdi for the daily traveling AND I never even use the aircon...EVER. My last 2 mk5 gti's I used it once in the first one that's it, literally once, so why not remove it?

To many creature comforts for softies these days  :rolleye:
« Last Edit: August 31, 2016, 06:38:49 pm by Chris92 »

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 392
  • -Receive: 316
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2016, 06:37:26 pm »
If it's a weekend toy go for it. But I couldn't live without AC in a daily.

While you're at it it, strip out the back seats, get some lightweight buckets, and do a proper job on it.

Offline Chris92

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2016, 06:42:43 pm »

While you're at it it, strip out the back seats, get some lightweight buckets, and do a proper job on it.

I find it so hard to believe people couldn't live without it  :confused:  :chicken: even in the summer I much prefer the window down on a nice day.

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2016, 06:45:51 pm »

I find it so hard to believe people couldn't live without it  :confused:  :chicken: even in the summer I much prefer the window down on a night day.
I don't deal with heat well. AC is a godsend for me. I suppose if you're on the move and you're getting lots of air in through the window it's fine. I sometimes prefer that to AC. But sat in traffic, on those 30deg days (and we've had a few), I just can't take it. It reduces me to a short tempered disaster waiting to happen.

Offline Chris92

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2016, 06:50:29 pm »
See maybes that's the thing I'm a country boy and I work in the country side so stuck in big traffic jams in the towns and city's are never a problem for me

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2016, 07:35:04 pm »
See maybes that's the thing I'm a country boy and I work in the country side so stuck in big traffic jams in the towns and city's are never a problem for me
Are you going to turn it into a proper track car then? I would personally, if it was a weekend thing. There aren't many better mods than weight saving if you've got the luxury of it.

Offline ducman77

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 59
  • -Receive: 54
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2016, 08:43:17 pm »

You're spot on here :happy2:

If you're mostly on good open A and B roads Air con is hardly ever missed :smiley:

But as AJP has said....

In the city;

Air con on = Calm, slow, boring commute to work
Air con delete = sweaty road rage inducing, life shortening, slow commute to work :laugh: :rolleye: :laugh:
« Last Edit: August 31, 2016, 08:46:39 pm by ducman77 »

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2016, 09:52:36 pm »
A bit like that film.. Falling Down!

Offline Chris92

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2016, 10:05:03 pm »
Are you going to turn it into a proper track car then? I would personally, if it was a weekend thing. There aren't many better mods than weight saving if you've got the luxury of it.
[/quote]

Hmm no I wouldn't of thought so as I want it for a 'good' car aswell as a fast road car. So not sure how far to go. Plan was to get a mk2 focus rs for a year to enjoy (have a itch to try something like that) then get a mk6 golf r for a long term car to slowly mod.

Yes I know people will most likely say you could get a much better weekend car than a mk6 r but I just love them  :drool: one of them with a tte420 bolted on plus all the usual stage 2+ mods and a r tech map on  :driver: mk6 r and mk2 focus rs are the only cars I like really at the minute
« Last Edit: August 31, 2016, 10:17:07 pm by Chris92 »

Offline ducman77

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 59
  • -Receive: 54
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2016, 08:56:13 am »
Hmm no I wouldn't of thought so as I want it for a 'good' car aswell as a fast road car. So not sure how far to go. Plan was to get a mk2 focus rs for a year to enjoy (have a itch to try something like that) then get a mk6 golf r for a long term car to slowly mod.

Yes I know people will most likely say you could get a much better weekend car than a mk6 r but I just love them  :drool: one of them with a tte420 bolted on plus all the usual stage 2+ mods and a r tech map on  :driver: mk6 r and mk2 focus rs are the only cars I like really at the minute

Mk2 Focus rs would be brilliant and quite like a trackday(ish) golf with the front wheel drive (the Mk2 is FWD isn't it?) and edgy character :happy2: I would say it is definitely a "bucket list" car even if you only owned it for a year or two :smiley:

A tte420 powered Mk6 R would be a weekend weapon and I'd say you would love, love, love it :smiley:

Don't pay attention to the Nay Sayers on a Mk6 R. The factory car might have been slightly hobbled by the inability to turn traction control off but the minute you tune it (and change the ecu settings) it will transform into a proper missile :wink:

Just think how much value you'll get out of the 4WD in Dec, Jan, Feb on Uk A and B roads!!

Either way I don't think you'll go far wrong with either choice!

In terms of modifying the Golf for a mix of practically and weekend toy you could maybe.....
1) Delete Air Con (my neighbors GTI has no air con and the intercooler looks epic BTW :smiley:)
2) Reduce unsprung mass with lighter wheels and a lighter brakes set up
3) lighter exhaust(?)
4) Biggest weight benefit would probably be lighter seats that are both comfortable and light (bit of a holy grail there :smiley:)

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2016, 03:03:40 pm »

75Kg? Each?  Are you sure?

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline white91

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 13
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2016, 05:58:24 pm »
Maybe it's 75 kg the pair? I personally had my air con fixed as I couldn't live without it

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk