Make a donation

Author Topic: Intake waste of money?  (Read 39301 times)

Offline Lucastheone92

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 3
    • Email
Intake waste of money?
« on: September 06, 2016, 01:47:25 pm »
Just wondering peoples thoughts on intakes. A lot of people say they are worth buying whilst a lot of people also say that they just suck in warm air from the engine bay and can mess with MAF. I also read that it does not matter how much air you suck in as it still has to go through the throttle body.

Every time I read up on intakes my mind gets changed from buying one to not buying one!

If you do have one which type do you guys have? the EVOMS intake seems a poplular choice.

I have a edition 30 at stage 1.

Offline Paradox1

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 41
  • -Receive: 82
    • Email
Re: Intake waste of money?
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2016, 02:01:57 pm »
For stage 1 I wouldn't bother. they may increase bhp a little bit but that you will notice.

I only got 1 as im going beyond stage 1.. but then again, whos to say I need one for a stage 2 map???

Offline xs2man

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 18
  • -Receive: 15
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2016, 03:59:26 pm »
I have an APR Carbonio (I think it is).  But only because it was on the car when I bought it.  Otherwise I'd have gone for a Revo, if I had gone for anything at all.

I will admit, it is a nice looking bit of kit in that engine bay, so I'll be keeping it, the car also benefits from a carbon fiber engine cover anyway.  So does look good.

I will say though, there is a lot of chat on some of the facebook groups where people are going for that Ramair thing.  I don't see the point personally.  It's only £50 cheaper or something than the Revo, and the tuners (well, R-Tech in particular) suggest that there is no better intake out there for making numbers.  Now there is more to life than numbers, for sure.  But for the sake of an extra £50, when you're already looking at spending close to £200, it seems a no brainer to me to go for the more efficient one at gaining numbers.

TDLR:  My money would be buying a Revo.  But as I have an APR one already, I wouldn't dream of spending money again on this side of things.

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 392
  • -Receive: 316
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2016, 04:40:33 pm »
I think from what I've read about the Revo, it does the best job of matching the standard intake's MAF scaling. Plenty of other intakes don't, and therefore the ECU is forced to use bigger fuel trim corrections. It's not all about flow (as much as it's a big factor).

If and when I get an intake, it'll be Revo. But by that time I wouldn't be surprised if something even better is available!

Offline Madone

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 27
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2016, 08:15:39 pm »
I recently went from the standard air box at stage 2+ on my edition 30 to the VWR intake. The MAF scaling is spot on so no loss of torque and it takes cold air directly from the grill in the same place the Oem version did. In terms of performance, I can honestly say (at stage 2+) it made a big difference (bigger than expected), def noticeable pulls much harder, more torque and power. 100% worth doing. Noise wise the VWR isn't much louder than stock which is what I wanted. Can't comment about stage 1, I ran the standard intake with panel filer all the way to stage 2+. But based on my experience it made a massive difference.

Offline bonelorry

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 72
  • -Receive: 44
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2016, 09:06:27 pm »
Stock or Stage 1 I will be keeping the Standard Air Box, If I ever decided to go any further with the tuning I would look at my options then.

Offline Lucastheone92

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 3
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2016, 09:59:11 pm »
I recently went from the standard air box at stage 2+ on my edition 30 to the VWR intake. The MAF scaling is spot on so no loss of torque and it takes cold air directly from the grill in the same place the Oem version did. In terms of performance, I can honestly say (at stage 2+) it made a big difference (bigger than expected), def noticeable pulls much harder, more torque and power. 100% worth doing. Noise wise the VWR isn't much louder than stock which is what I wanted. Can't comment about stage 1, I ran the standard intake with panel filer all the way to stage 2+. But based on my experience it made a massive difference.
What sort of power is your edition 30 at now then ? I've been thinking about stage 2 once I've got everything I need but then again I'm pretty happy with 300hp!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Madone

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2016, 10:05:30 pm »
What sort of power is your edition 30 at now then ? I've been thinking about stage 2 once I've got everything I need but then again I'm pretty happy with 300hp!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm running Revo stage 2+, not been on the dyno but reckon around 350-360, but it's the torque that really thumps. I'm going to RTech soon to get a fully custom map and really optimise everything for the setup I have.

Charlie23

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2016, 12:15:59 am »
I have the Wide mouth Evoms, can't say it does much but sounds great  :happy2:

nkp

« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2016, 07:15:13 pm »
I've just installed the RamAir oversized induction kit on my standard GTI yesterday.

Does it go any faster? my bum dyno thinks so (but probably not in reality).
Does it make a nice noise? YEP!.
Does it make me smile more than when i drove it on a standard airbox? HELL YEP.

For me thats enough till i actually get an exhaust and go to stage 1/2  :happy2:

Offline Chris92

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 33
  • -Receive: 35
  • If you're smart in this world they call you crazy
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,109742.0.html
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2016, 12:12:52 am »
Stage 2 or above you will really benefit from a aftermarket intake, stage one stock air box is fine.

I fitted a revo one on my stock gti with the intention of going stage 2+ but never did and sold car. When I put the stock box back on I couldn't believe how much more punch it had, first foot to the floor I was  :driver:  :jumpmove:

When if I come back to the 2.0tfsi it'll be a revo one for sure great piece of kit, forget the rest  :happy2:
« Last Edit: September 08, 2016, 12:15:41 am by Chris92 »

Offline shoaybmakda

• Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 54
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2016, 09:54:20 pm »
Weather it was psychological or not I'm not sure but I had the revo intake on mine and it certainly felt that it accelerated better.

For me it was too loud however and with a 6 month old and a Mrs who would certainly not sit in the car if it made loud wooshy noises I had to get rid (of the intake not the mrs I have to add! :signLOL: )

Offline flashp

• Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 65
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2016, 06:25:16 am »
For stage 1 I wouldn't bother. they may increase bhp a little bit but that you will notice.

I only got 1 as im going beyond stage 1.. but then again, whos to say I need one for a stage 2 map???
I'd echo this. I have one at stage 2 and I think if I didn't occasionally track mine I would keep the standard intake. Intakes do help breathing in the upper rev range but they do change the behaviour of the power/torque delivery at everyday speeds. It's not a big deal but I prefer the OE intake for this alone.

Gone but not forgotten :-)

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2016, 02:40:52 pm »

Sounds like the best compromise if it doesn't blunt the bottom end at all?  Not cheap though!

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline Madone

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2016, 07:55:56 pm »

Sounds like the best compromise if it doesn't blunt the bottom end at all?  Not cheap though!

I know you and I have discussed this before and the merits of the standard air box, I was a firm advocate of the standard airbox.   :happy2: However, I read the more tuned the engine the more benefit can be had. Dan explained about she MAF scaling killing torque so knew a VWR kit would be scaled right. The difference on a stage 2+ eddy is big, the standard airbox is def strangling it. I am off the RTech in a couple of weeks so wanted to have the best setup I could before going. Even with the Revo stage 2+ and no adjustments for the airbox it feels much stronger !. I am surprised by how much. As you say, it's not cheap but I couldn't face the noises from something like the Revo intake. :jumpmove: