Make a donation

Author Topic: MK5 Edition 30 #57 Track/Race Build  (Read 36132 times)

Offline damoegan

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 33
    • Email
Re: MK5 Edition 30 #57 Track/Race Build
« Reply #60 on: March 31, 2017, 06:02:22 pm »
Great work mate, keep it going  :happy2:

Offline StuF

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 31
  • -Receive: 38
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,90017.0.html
« Reply #61 on: March 31, 2017, 06:58:31 pm »
Just read the whole thread from start to finish - wow what awesome work!
Cant wait for the next installment

:happy2:

Where Napoleons armies marched with horse and musket and Hitlers Reich crumbled in blood and rubble, the warriors of Armageddon do battle against the landscape of hell now indeed thrive the ARMOURERS

Offline M4T VW

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 3
    • Email
« Reply #62 on: March 31, 2017, 08:12:35 pm »
Cheers!  :happy2:

There were a few engine bay jobs that needed doing so planned as many as I could I one day/weekend. It was mainly the gearbox & clutch/flywheel install and new revo engine mounts but after some thinking about how to drop the gearbox out it was just as easy to whip the engine out and do what we needed to.
I had a couple of stripped studs on the turbo manifold that needed sorting and took advantage of the engine being out to install the new front ARB.

Using the crane to lower the engine on the gearbox side didn't really work. I'm glad we gave up on that one now.

It's out! To be honest most of it was already disconnected. I think the only pipe we had to take off was the water and fuel but they were both empty anyway.

I couldn't see a way to disconnect the cables running to the engine from the passenger side so left them connected. It was going back in on the same day anyway.

Gearbox off, quite a small engine to be honest!

Install the new clutchmasters "stage 6" clutch and single mass flywheel. Good for 500bhp+ they say! ;)

New hotgolf gearbox on. Also fitted is a forge quick shift on top

The new superpro ARB installed along with nearly new Revo engine mounts. These are meant to be harsh for a thousand miles or so, hopefully not too bad. Oh and also installed there is a braided AKS clutch line removing the VW hard line and plastic valve thing. I also modified the slave cylinder on the gearbox, removing the pin hole restrictor which they recommend on upgraded clutches.

All back together! Took pretty much all weekend in the end but i don't like to rush these things.

I had to drill a few holes in the tunnel to allow for the cables to run through. This has since been blocked up so no fumes can get through. I made that mistake on the MK2!

With the car back on it's wheels i can start putting the interior back together.

Offline Shoduchi

• Thank You
  • -Given: 220
  • -Receive: 429
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,95592.msg952042.html
« Reply #63 on: April 01, 2017, 03:16:15 pm »
Thanks for the update! This build is awesome. :happy2:

Offline M4T VW

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #64 on: April 13, 2017, 08:26:50 pm »
Working late into the night, lots of wiring to sort out. Firstly the battery cables to the cut-off switch. I went for a small Braille battery so i can keep it in the front but this means i had to run two cables from the battery to the switch, a feed and return cable. I managed to poke these through the firewall where the rest of the cables go through on the passenger side. I also had to run the cables for the gauges which came through the drivers side.

I bought myself a proper hydraulic crimp tool from eBay, it does the job well and looks factory after some heat shrink.

Dashboard back in! I had to cut the plastics around the cage but it worked out well in the end. I would have left them off but some are key to the structure of the dash and some hold switches, for example the headlight switch so it just made sense to put it back in with a few bit's cut off. All in the name of saving weight, right?

You can see the gap i have on the top of the dash for the bar, it's huge but was required to actually get the dash into that position. A small cover plate will be made to hide that later.

Offline Tfsi_Mike

• Thank You
  • -Given: 241
  • -Receive: 309
  • Go Large or Go Home
    • Tfsi Mikes Money Pit AKS / TTE / RTech St2+ Cupra
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,32721.msg402587.html#msg402587
« Reply #65 on: April 13, 2017, 08:54:58 pm »
Excellent stuff.

Offline M4T VW

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #66 on: April 13, 2017, 09:07:09 pm »
Thanks Mike!

This is an update I have not been looking forward to writing as I know it’s going to be a long one and I took a fair few pictures as I know a lot of people in this position. I’m very lucky to have a car lift and a forklift, I pretty sure we couldn’t have done this without either of them so good luck to those attempting this on your drive way on axle stands!

Replacing the rear end…

Taking all the weight out of the rear end and putting the car up on a single post lift is a bit sketchy. Because of this we decided to tie the car down to a heavy pallet of scrap metal on the back end so it wouldn’t be so nose heavy. It wasn’t actually that bad in the end as the car is shifted back as much as we can get it so the nose weight is nearer the lift upright.

Time to remove the suspension. Being a separate shock/spring on the MK5's makes this job easy.

The only pain is limited room to compress the spring enough. In the end we took a bolt out of the lower arm and just let it hang down so the spring fell out.

Lowering the old beam down

One of the bushes on the old beam. Look past the flaking paint, that happens to most but the actual rubber part was really loose and floppy.

Old & new. It was good to put them next to each other to compare. We had to swap over a couple of small brackets for ABS sensors etc but it was 95% there.

The new one bolted up like a dream, no issues at all.

Lets chuck some new suspension on it. Time to crack open the fancy stuff! KW clubsports which are dampening adjustable via a little purple knob on the bottom of the strut, you can just see it in the picture.

Brand new hub's for the rear.

Now we are talking!

Fitting the S3 rear calipers and also fitted the fuel tank, don't have any pictures of that. It was actually quite easy so we had done it before i could take and pictures.

Before we put it on the ground we fitted the new downpipe. However it didn't quite match up with the subframe bracket so left it for another day. I suspected that the bracket was welded on at the wrong angle so would need either bending or cutting and re-welding.

Put it on the floor for the first time and its a bit low at the back. Actually it was too low to get it off the lift! We had to take it back up in the air and adjust the ride height. It's still tight now but just about manageable. Once it's running and we can drive onto the lift it will be much easier.

Offline ChrisGT

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 40
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,106577.0.html
« Reply #67 on: April 14, 2017, 05:01:46 am »
Awesome, new rear subframe etc looks great  :drinking:

Chris
It wouldn't be fun if it was easy, I just wish it wasn't this much fun.

Offline Tfsi_Mike

• Thank You
  • -Given: 241
  • -Receive: 309
  • Go Large or Go Home
    • Tfsi Mikes Money Pit AKS / TTE / RTech St2+ Cupra
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,32721.msg402587.html#msg402587
« Reply #68 on: April 14, 2017, 11:27:24 am »

awesome update :)  The pillar lift looks very handy!

Offline tommygti

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 22
  • -Receive: 9
    • Email
« Reply #69 on: April 25, 2017, 01:51:48 pm »
Awesome updates. Its coming along nicely. What make are the 2-piece rear floating discs?

Offline M4T VW

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #70 on: May 02, 2017, 01:40:15 pm »
I have been driving this around at the weekend, what a machine!  :laugh:

Awesome updates. Its coming along nicely. What make are the 2-piece rear floating discs?

They are made by VW Racing. That's whats on the bell anyway.

Offline M4T VW

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #71 on: June 05, 2017, 09:12:21 pm »
Right, lets get cracking again, I'm exhausted  :grin:

This is the full BCS catback exhaust, It came up cheap even though it was new. It was the R32 style also which i was not too bothered about but i'm glad i did, it looks so much better on the car! I had to fit the new bumper but it the exhaust was so well made it fell into place with hardly any adjustment. Very impressed with the quality.

I had to cut and weld the bracket back on in the correct position on the ebay downpipe, It all fits perfect now.

Offline Shoduchi

• Thank You
  • -Given: 220
  • -Receive: 429
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,95592.msg952042.html
« Reply #72 on: June 06, 2017, 12:30:29 am »
Looks great! :happy2:

Offline Pesky jones

• Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 18
« Reply #73 on: June 06, 2017, 06:56:06 am »
Awesome work mate, giving  it 100%!

You see the last pic of reply 66, you see a small one way vent. Had a pool of water in the boot well in my old gti. Couldn't track it down. Stripped the rear down and it was just missing tnat vent, not broken, just missing. What led to that!  :signLOL:

Offline FJ1000

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 48
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,101205.0.html
« Reply #74 on: June 06, 2017, 08:40:35 am »
What an epic build!

When are you hoping to get it out on track? We need video when you do!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2007 Golf Gti DSG | Leather Wingbacks | Xenons | VWR Springs | Tinted Windows | 18" Audi Speedlines |