Make a donation

Author Topic: My 2007 SEAT Alhambra 2.0 TDI...  (Read 5117 times)

Offline xs2man

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 18
  • -Receive: 15
My 2007 SEAT Alhambra 2.0 TDI...
« on: September 14, 2016, 04:30:30 pm »
Just lifted off some other forums to bring in here...

It's now been somewhere around a year since my last VAG left me.  My b5.5 Passat.  It was a great daily beater.

It was changed out for a 330i, which was nice enough.  Which then was changed out for a Range Rover which was an absolute dog.  Well, that is unfair.  But it's currently fubard.

So now, I have decided that the will to live has somewhat left me, and I have gone for an MPV.  Having 2 kids was the motivation.  Not wanting to slit my wrists kept me away from Zafiras.

So I bought a 2.0 TDI Seat Alhambra...

Looked tidy enough when I went to see it, so made an offer, and bought it.  Driving it home and it was obvious something was amiss.  Overheating.  f*ck.

So booked it into Baz for a look.  Looks like it turned out to be the head gasket.  So with that done, along with fluids, and timing belt all done, I got it back yesterday, and all seems well so far.  Not a cheap thing to be needing done as soon as it was bought.  But the timing belt was only 5k away, so that money was needing spent regardless.

Plans are not much.  Might look for some cheap alloys, and clad the steels with some winters.  Would like a new head unit with bluetooth, DAB and usb, and retrofitting cruise control.  But that's pretty much all gonna have to wait since the HG blew my spare funds for all that fun stuff.

On the plus side, I have already done a couple hundred miles in it, and I'm liking it more than I had previously anticipated.  Plus it should be a relatively practical beast.  Win win.

Not everyones cup of tea, for sure.  But it may allow me to get something monstrous as a replacement for the other motor.  But that'll be next year.

Winter wheels and a wash today.  Nothing much.

Need to learn to take a photo though.

Also, fitted a new stereo.  Now have bluetooth and USB in my car.  Woo Hoo.  Bit of a pain having to run a line for the switched live, but apart from that, easy done.

Next up is getting cruise retrofitted.  Then she will be finished.  No point in going OTT with a 7 seater MPV...  Although it was remapped last week.

I am really surprised how much I'm actually enjoying it to be honest.  It ticks soooo many boxes, most importantly the kids loving it.  As well as having the space and economy I need.  I am surprised at how little use the 5 series is getting all of a sudden, lol.

Today I fitted wind deflectors, and took a slightly better picture or two...

Sure, it could do with being a huge bit lower.  Not sure the wife would be happy though.  If it ever needs shocks / springs during my ownership, I'll do it then.

Not really done much to this.  Needed some better speakers in there, so put a pair of Focal 165's in the front.  The wheels weren't desperate for a refurb, but I fancied a change of colour anyway, so did that.

So, since buying it, around 12 months ago, I have done around 12k.  In that time I have done the head gasket, timing belt and clutch / DMF.  So only really the injectors to go then and that'll be the big ones done, lol.  I suspect if the injectors go it may be just about time to scrap it mind, that is a £2k+ fix apparently.

Next on the to do list is pretty simple really.  Retrofit Cruise Control, and stick on a leather steering wheel at the same time.  I'm half tempted to upgrade to a mk6 MFSW in the ED30, and stick the ED30 one in the Alhambra, but that might be a bit of overkill right there.

Apart from that, it's a reasonably nice motor.  Goes well enough after the remap, and while the fuel economy isn't great (around 40 mpg average), it's fine in reality.  It's a great tool for moving the kids about in, they love it.  And it is pretty handy for moving bigger stuff too.  I've had a double sofa bed in the back at one point, and a full size sheet of MDF from B&Q.  That was a squeeze though, I had to sit as far forward as possible, and still bungee chord the tailgate as it was about 4" from closing.

JackL15

Re: My 2007 SEAT Alhambra 2.0 TDI...
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2016, 03:54:12 pm »
Nice car  :happy2:

I use my dad's ford galaxy people carrier as my daily car to get to work and back. It doesn't look anything special but is still going strong at 16 years old with 140k on it. Still on the original clutch etc. They are brilliant for dump runs etc and when we moved house it was worth its weight in gold.

The only downside with the ford is the 2.3 engine, the fuel bill is awful  :surprised:

We are getting rid of it in the next month or so and it will be a shame to see it go.

Offline Tfsi_Mike

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 241
  • -Receive: 309
  • Go Large or Go Home
    • Tfsi Mikes Money Pit AKS / TTE / RTech St2+ Cupra
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,32721.msg402587.html#msg402587
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2016, 05:21:55 pm »
Welcome along bud

Offline xs2man

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2016, 08:44:05 pm »
Cheers. 

I've had this one around a year now.  Only had the ED about a month, lol.

Offline skard

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 245
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,62636
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2016, 07:42:54 am »
Hello mate

Does yours have three individual middle seats, and three ISOFIX on them?

Soon going to have three kids under three and need something to cater for us. I wanted to avoid a Sharan/Alhambra cos of the bulkiness, but something tells me they are the solution.
Used to have Edition 30 - number 009 and a GT TDI 140.
Now have an S4 B8 Avant (stage 2)

Offline xs2man

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2016, 01:26:28 pm »
Hello mate

Does yours have three individual middle seats, and three ISOFIX on them?

Soon going to have three kids under three and need something to cater for us. I wanted to avoid a Sharan/Alhambra cos of the bulkiness, but something tells me they are the solution.

They absolutely are the solution.  At this age at least (7M I think), all 5 rear seats are full size, and ALL ISOFIX.  All removable too, so you can just have a van if required.  I only have 2 kids, but that middle seat can accommodate me even, and I'm a proper fat b******.  For reference, my wife, who is a slender enough 5ft nothing could only just fit between the kids seat in the back of my 5 series, which is far from a small car itself.  I had no hope. 

A big "car" is fine for 2 kids (assuming you are efficient at packing the boot), but for 3, I would really need something this size.

Offline xs2man

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2016, 04:45:16 pm »
So, gave her a quick wash today, some tyre shine, and some back to black.  First halfway decent pics (well, still phone pics) of it since the colour change on the wheels.