Make a donation

Author Topic: Removing Swirls Black Paint  (Read 11522 times)

Offline loudancoe

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 0
Removing Swirls Black Paint
« on: September 13, 2016, 12:56:07 pm »
Unfortunately the black paint on my GTi is full of swirl marks :( After trying various products that can "achieve great results by hand" I have learned that its all rubbish and I need to invest in a DA polisher.

What I could use some help with is the process from removal to waxing. In my head the steps would be:

Swirl removal - I have G3 scratch and swirl remover & Meguires ultimate compound left from my hand attempts, will either be suitable for use with the DA?
Polish - I've been using Autoglym super resin polish which works nicely but sometimes I find it difficult to buff off but again that was by hand so could be easier with DA. I've also seen a lot of hype around poorboys black hole for dark paint, any recommendations?
Sealant? - I've been reading that once you have polished then the paint needs sealing? Any advice or tips and products would be great
Wax - I'm currently out of wax so any recommendations for dark paint welcome!

Thanks!!

Offline Kai96

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 23
  • -Receive: 17
    • Email
Re: Removing Swirls Black Paint
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2016, 04:17:58 pm »
Unfortunately the black paint on my GTi is full of swirl marks :( After trying various products that can "achieve great results by hand" I have learned that its all rubbish and I need to invest in a DA polisher.

What I could use some help with is the process from removal to waxing. In my head the steps would be:

Swirl removal - I have G3 scratch and swirl remover & Meguires ultimate compound left from my hand attempts, will either be suitable for use with the DA?
Polish - I've been using Autoglym super resin polish which works nicely but sometimes I find it difficult to buff off but again that was by hand so could be easier with DA. I've also seen a lot of hype around poorboys black hole for dark paint, any recommendations?
Sealant? - I've been reading that once you have polished then the paint needs sealing? Any advice or tips and products would be great

Thanks!!

Decontamination - Before you start machine polishing I'd make sure the car is decontaminated properly, if not you can get micro marring when using the machine polisher. I usually wash, rinse and then polish the car, after this I would then clay the car/ or the panels I'd be using the machine polisher on. The next step for me would then be to use a bug and tar remover/fall out remover to remove any contamination that is still present. I'd then rinse the car again before I start machine polishing

Swirl Remover - I use megs 105 and megs 205 so I don't know if the ones you have are suitable for machine polishing (hopefully someone will come along and confirm)

Sealant - Personally I use http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/sealants/chemical-guys-wet-mirror-finish/prod_339.html which gives the car a excellent gloss and finish and if the sun's out you'll get a nice flake pop.

Wax - I dont use it as I'm not a fan so I can't recommend anything.

Hope that helps. If I've missed anything out or got it in the wrong order I'm sure someone will be along to correct me  :signLOL:

Offline Dan648v

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 28
  • -Receive: 26
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,39823.0.html
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2016, 04:40:36 pm »
I've done mine in the past with good results.

Wash
Clay
Das6 pro da polisher.
Megs 105 and 205 combo with white and orange hex pads
Then I always wax with swissvax (cleaner fluid before hand)

Simple methods always work for me, never try overcomplicate.

Revo Stage 2+ Edition 30 No.1089 with added carbon

Offline Boothy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 32
  • All donations accepted, thanks.
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2016, 09:07:34 pm »
If your gonna stick to using product by hand then I'd maybe go for a nice glaze with some filling abilities. I've used Prima Amigo by both hand and DA with good results. Top that with a nice wax/sealant. On my black Golf I've used Colinite 845, Fusso99 Dark and Frost Armour sealant. All are good but I thing the Fusso gave the best results.

Offline loudancoe

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2016, 10:47:05 pm »
Wow you guys have some great results there!!

The megs 105 & 205 keep coming up so it's obviously doing something right

@Dan648v do you find that without sealing the effects don't last as long?

Thanks for your help guys!

Offline Boothy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • All donations accepted, thanks.
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2016, 07:13:58 pm »
Are you going to be using a DA?

Offline bonelorry

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 72
  • -Receive: 44
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2016, 06:44:04 pm »
Check out my thread on the Members Rides section, I recently did my Diamond Black ED30 using the Megs 105/205 combo, Also did Fallout remover and De-tar prior to polishing and finished with Collinites 845 Wax.

Offline loudancoe

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2016, 09:12:10 pm »
@Boothy I've come to the conclusion I need to get one yeah

@bonelorry wow looks good what did you use for polish?

Offline bonelorry

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2016, 06:12:00 am »
@Boothy I've come to the conclusion I need to get one yeah

@bonelorry wow looks good what did you use for polish?

Its listed on my build thread, Also on my post further up this page too.

DAS6-Pro Machine Polisher, 2-Stage, Meguiars 105 with Orange Hex-Logic pads for defect/swirl removal, Meguiars 205 with White Hex-Logic pads for refining/finishing.

Offline cenobytez

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 7
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2016, 07:43:07 am »

Thanks!!
yes, the megs will be fine with a DA, I had demo/visit to the uk headquarters a couple of years ago with my mk4, and after the talk/presentation, went out to the car park and picked mine as it would show best ( indigo blue) did my bonnet, by splitting into sections, using the same product all the time, ultimate compound followed by ultimate wax, 1 section by hand, 1 x using the small DA drill attachment and 1x using the G220, result = awesome, to the point that i proceeded to buy the compound + wax while I was there, and shortly in the days after got a G220,

re poorboys, very good finish, but it is a glaze not a polish/filler, so ideally you need to remove the swirls first, gives a deep wet look shine, moved onto it form autoglym SRP after hearing about it on detailing forums, but from personal experience, the meguiars gives me what I need.

Offline Talidan

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 17
  • -Receive: 4
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2016, 08:04:02 am »
To keep it simple I'd go for a 2 stage with 105/205 if you want to buy locally Halfords do Ultamate compound & Ultamate polish it's basically the same thing ultamate compound is better imo than 105 less dusty, I use orange hex for 105 and back hex for 205.

Make sure you do a full decontamination so you don't risk anymore damage then af ultamate glaze and swissvax onyx or a sealant if your after more durability.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Offline SurreyED30

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 37
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2016, 02:06:09 pm »
3m products for correction work for me, fast cut plus is great on VW paint IMO.

I have the 3 step 3m stuff

Fast cut plus (green bottle top/ green cutting pad)
Superfina (hello bottle top/yellow pad)
Ultrafina (both bottl top/blue pad)

They have there own pads for each step. As above also fully decontaminate, preparation is always priority with any kind of job

I do find the micro fibre pads by CG work great on VW paint as well, they cut really fast

Always wipe down with eraser or IPA after each correction step to show the true work before moving to the next and again before applying wax

Good luck and enjoy
« Last Edit: September 18, 2016, 02:30:21 pm by SurreyED30 »
Edition 30 build No:692 Revo stage 2 SOLD
Edition 30 build No:440 Stage 1 SOLD

Offline Lucastheone92

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 3
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2016, 05:10:04 pm »
Check out my thread on the Members Rides section, I recently did my Diamond Black ED30 using the Megs 105/205 combo, Also did Fallout remover and De-tar prior to polishing and finished with Collinites 845 Wax.
What's the benefit of using both 105 and 205? I've just read on their website that they both have similar benefits e.g. Removed swirls. Could 205 just be using to both make glossy finish and remove swirls ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline white91

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 13
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2016, 05:55:26 pm »
Think of it like different grit sandpaper.

I can recommend Scholl Polish

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline bonelorry

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2016, 09:15:53 am »
What's the benefit of using both 105 and 205? I've just read on their website that they both have similar benefits e.g. Removed swirls. Could 205 just be using to both make glossy finish and remove swirls ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Firstly depends on many factors, Yes they both do the same job but at differing levels. Also paint type makes a massive difference for example VW Paint is quite hard and requires a more aggressive cut such as Megs 105 to achieve any decent levels of correction, Paint on Japanese cars can be quite soft in comparison so you might be able to get away with using Megs 205.

So on VW paint you could just use Megs 205 and a White Hex Pad, This would be classed as a Single Stage and would clean the paint up and remove very Minor swirls/defects. However you would not remove any deeper swirls and once the sunlight hits the paintwork they will be visible.

Megs 105 has a more aggressive cut as does using the Orange Hex Pad too, This combination offers a better level of correction and will remove more severe swirls, Bird poop marks, Defects but the downside is you do not get a very good finish afterwords. So you use the 205 Combo to finish/refine.

Megs 105 = Compound/Cutting
Megs 205 = Refining/Finishing

Adding to the above the choice of Pad that you use also plays a big part, I think in the Hex-Logic range which I use their are approx 6 different pads available ranging from Heavy Cut to Finishing. You have to experiment with the different combinations to see which one works for you and gives the best level of correction.

I always say start out with the least aggressive and work your way up.