Make a donation

Author Topic: CONTINENTAL SPORT CONTACT 5, thoughts?  (Read 5007 times)

Offline Scottymon

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 83
  • -Receive: 125
  • UnNaturally Aspirated
  • My Ride: http://www.voodish.co.uk/misc/6n/6n-alive1.jpg
CONTINENTAL SPORT CONTACT 5, thoughts?
« on: September 27, 2016, 05:17:19 pm »
Anyone used these before? CONTINENTAL SPORT CONTACT 5

I've burnt up the Goodyear AS3's a bit too quickly, really nice grippy tyre though... had a mate who was getting rid of his ST3 Focus and had these going cheap, with about 6mm on them uniform wear, so bought them, been running them for a couple of hundred miles... they are crap imho... the AS2 and AS3 are a far, far better tyre, you can light these things up way too easily even in the dry, and around roundabouts a bit too quick and the squeal like a banshee... not impressed.... I mean they are OK, nothing more... they get such good reviews too and an expensive tyre, way more than the Goodyears, mad.

LOL, just sharing that bit of info. haha, any thoughts on these tyres?

Offline v4rley

• Thank You
  • -Given: 29
  • -Receive: 104
Re: CONTINENTAL SPORT CONTACT 5, thoughts?
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2016, 05:48:59 pm »
 :sad1: yep afraid your right

I brought a pair about 1k ago and as you say are a lot easier to light up :fighting:

Offline bonelorry

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 72
  • -Receive: 44
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2016, 06:03:36 pm »
Had Sport Contact 5's on my last Golf Edition 30, Not a bad tyre at all. But then I don't drive my cars like a nutcase.

Currently on Michelin PS3's which I am impressed with so far.

Offline Skilgannon

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 21
  • -Receive: 4
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2016, 06:42:16 pm »
Yeh I got them fitted and they're decent tyres. Decent grip and I'm at stage 1  :happy2:

Offline xs2man

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 18
  • -Receive: 15
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2016, 07:07:51 pm »
How many miles did you get out your AS3's then?

I would have considered CSC5's personally, but only because the 6's don't seem to be in my size.  Instead, I'll be putting on PS4's when the time comes on the ED30.

I did have Vredstein Sessantas on my mapped 335d (about 340 BHP) and they were an amazing tyre.  Great grip and handling, and the wear rate was also great.  I did about 16k and the rears were only down to about 5mm, and 5.5mm on the fronts.

Offline leebes

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 7
  • When's the next track day?
  • My Ride: 2007 Mk5 Gti (Reflex Silver)
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2016, 08:31:53 pm »
I've got Conti 5's on my GTI (stage 1) now and rate them pretty high.

General road use (I do about 30 miles a day to work and back) they are good as anything I've ever had, in the dry and wet. Good fun round the country lane route home as well.

Did a track day on them recently and was very impressed for saying they aren't track focused rubber. Plenty of corner grip, just lacked a bit on the braking and accelerating...ESP was having to work hard at high revs pushing onto the straight! Great fun though  :happy2:

Offline Scottymon

• Thank You
  • -Given: 83
  • -Receive: 125
  • UnNaturally Aspirated
  • My Ride: http://www.voodish.co.uk/misc/6n/6n-alive1.jpg
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2016, 10:16:36 pm »
Out of interest, those who think these tyres are good, have you tried PS3 / PSS / AS2 / AS3 nine tenths?

CSC5 are OK, but when you push on, the limits are so easily exposed imho, the AS3's just gripped and gripped no squealing or loss of traction; you really have to be trying hard to get the AS3 to lose traction on the road in the dry but with the CSC5 I can it do with ease; I've nothing special either just Stage 2 K03.

I'm not concerned really as they were really dirt cheap, but I'd never buy them again over the Goodyear or Michelin's.  I do find it odd though, as so many rate them highly, but the difference was night and day for me.

Thanks for all the input anyway  :happy2: :happy2:

Offline FJ1000

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 48
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,101205.0.html
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2016, 11:18:20 pm »
I've got them on my RS4 as they were already on the wheels I bought (I want to replace with Michelin PSS when they wear out). I think they're pretty good, especially in the wet. Did a driving trip in Scotland recently and I couldn't believe the traction I had even when it was tipping down...inspired a lot of confidence. We weren't hanging about either:

I had some sportcontact 3s for track use a while ago and they were dreadful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2007 Golf Gti DSG | Leather Wingbacks | Xenons | VWR Springs | Tinted Windows | 18" Audi Speedlines |

Offline leebes

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 7
  • When's the next track day?
  • My Ride: 2007 Mk5 Gti (Reflex Silver)
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2016, 08:57:17 am »
Out of interest, those who think these tyres are good, have you tried PS3 / PSS / AS2 / AS3 nine tenths?

CSC5 are OK, but when you push on, the limits are so easily exposed imho, the AS3's just gripped and gripped no squealing or loss of traction; you really have to be trying hard to get the AS3 to lose traction on the road in the dry but with the CSC5 I can it do with ease; I've nothing special either just Stage 2 K03.

I'm not concerned really as they were really dirt cheap, but I'd never buy them again over the Goodyear or Michelin's.  I do find it odd though, as so many rate them highly, but the difference was night and day for me.

Thanks for all the input anyway  :happy2: :happy2:

Used to have Michelin PS's on my A3, got to admit they were very good. Still like the Conti's though and generally voted by many of the top mag's as one of the best all round tyres of 2015. Whether I like them more than the Michelin...couldn't really say.

Offline xs2man

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 18
  • -Receive: 15

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2016, 10:33:23 am »
It's the ContiSport 5P that got the good reviews, but I don't think it's available in 225/40/18, and neither is the 6 (yet).  The 5 isn't much better than the 3, which was a comfy tyre, but bad in the wet and tramlined badly when half worn.

Pilot Sport 4 and SuperSport are still the only stand out tyres for me. 

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline akbarirfan

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 80
  • -Receive: 18
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2016, 12:16:40 pm »
I have ContiSport 5 tyres on all four corners on my K03 GTI - I find the grip to be great in the dry and decent on a wet road. I don't drive like a lunatic but these are great for those moments when I need (want) to move a little quicker.

Offline Biff

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 2
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2016, 12:29:47 pm »
I had a full set of Michelin PS4's fitted in January.

Highly recommend, have done a 2K round trip to France over the summer and they performed well in the cooler/wet months of this year.

Offline Sulley91

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2016, 10:17:12 pm »
I had a full set of Michelin PS4's fitted in January.

Highly recommend, have done a 2K round trip to France over the summer and they performed well in the cooler/wet months of this year.
+1 from me too

Offline ROH ECHT

• Thank You
  • -Given: 113
  • -Receive: 147
  • K04 PLAY....ZOOM DIS!
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2016, 04:00:14 am »
I considered the conti 5's, but reviews put them in the road more than track realm and they weren't rated much higher, if any, than the conti extreme contact DW's for daily's...and reviews arre saying you can barely get 20k miles with them.  Road use is what I'm after...but I consider traction and mileage as well.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2016, 05:41:18 pm by ROH ECHT »
K04 PLAY...K04 turbo/S3 INJ. & FMIC/FORGE FMTC, TB hose, & WG actuator/GIAC's H.O. K04 & DSG TUNES/AWE DV/NEUSPEED P-FLO,TURBO OUTLET & TB pipe/AUTOTECH hpfp/BSH Eng.&Trans Mounts/H&R ARB's/Whiteline Performance springs & W.A.L.K./ECS stage-3 BBK/BILSTEIN B8's...ZOOM'DIS...GIAC K04 tune-2007 Volkswagen GTI: 12.823 @ 112.050 MPH__Voting for my Dragtimes link: http://www.dragtimes.com/Volkswagen-GTI-Timeslip-25700.html?r=1