Make a donation

Author Topic: ED30 - Revo - Boost log - overboost problem  (Read 7624 times)

Offline LencTPH

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 1
ED30 - Revo - Boost log - overboost problem
« on: October 03, 2016, 10:03:52 am »
Hello,

I got Revo stage1 map few months ago and since than I have always strange filling when Im accelerating, like engine is lossing power. Today I finally got my VCDS and did some loggin.

Looks like my turbo overboosts every time I go full throttle. Is my wastegate closed for too long? Or if anyone got some other idea what should I check?  :smiley:  :thinking:

PS. I moved topic.
Edition 30

Charlie23

Re: ED30 - Revo - Boost log - overboost problem
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2016, 04:35:18 pm »
i kind of have the same senario with my APR map i beleive. But i might be wrong so appologise but its compressor surge.

Does it happen about 3500 rpm to about 5000 rpm?

Offline LencTPH

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2016, 05:22:35 pm »
Does it happen about 3500 rpm to about 5000 rpm?

I think so. Did you try to do anything about it?  :smiley:

To me it only happens (overboost) when i go immediately from normal driving to full throttle.
Edition 30

Charlie23

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2016, 04:15:51 pm »
Yep sounds the one mate,

Spoke to a few people and Dan_FR also had a chat with me regarding it and i beleive its a KO4 thing that with our Map's cant be rectified and have to live with it.

Have a read up on Compressor surge and it will probably make it abit more clear than what i can tell you.  BUT

basicaly we should of gone to R-Tech as he can map around the situation i have been told so we wasted our £££ geting APR & REVO  :sad1: :slap:

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 392
  • -Receive: 316
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2016, 05:37:58 pm »
You can rectify it if you fit a k04 with an anti surge wheel, like @dansmith180 did.

Charlie23

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2016, 07:29:34 pm »
Not a cheap option tho is it?

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2016, 08:03:37 pm »
Not a cheap option tho is it?
It certainly aint. But getting an R-Tech map is a realistic option I suppose. Just depends if the surge is actually making things vulnerable to damage. From what I've gathered, it's an inconvenience more than anything, but the options remain.

Charlie23

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2016, 08:24:49 pm »
Yes totally understand, I think the R-Tech map is the cheapest and best option all round but it's a pain in the A*s when you just paid £500 to find that out!! Grrrrrr  :jumping

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2016, 08:38:46 pm »
Yes totally understand, I think the R-Tech map is the cheapest and best option all round but it's a pain in the A*s when you just paid £500 to find that out!! Grrrrrr  :jumping
Yeah it gets expensive doesn't it. I don't know just how effective Niki's mapping is in terms of getting around it, I'm guessing it'd always be present to some degree, but by most accounts it's less of an issue with an R-Tech map. I'm currently weighing up either a k04 or BBT k03 hybrid swap on my BWA, so it's something I need to look into properly myself. I think the BBT turbos all use the anti surge wheel, so the hybrid might be a better choice for me. We'll see!

Offline LencTPH

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2016, 08:45:15 am »
@Charlie23  Do you have any boost and rail pressure logs from your car?

I've noticed that somewhere around 3000rpm my rail pressure falls bellow specified (grey area on pic) and that's exactly when overboost happens. Is it possible this is somehow connected to overboost or to computer taking away that extra boost?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: October 05, 2016, 08:46:49 am by LencTPH »
Edition 30

Charlie23

« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2016, 09:21:37 am »
@LencTPH - No sorry i dont i had it logged at GotBoost in Bridgend. And funny enough i had exact same problem first of all and we found out i had a lazy fuel pump. So i had the fuel pump & cam follower changed with new and the fuel loggs where then perfect, the Turbo pressure loggs where peeking spot on etc etc.

The fuel pump loggs where something like (sure someone could do this better)

At idle it was something like -0.5
Full throttle it was hitting +59.6 but slowely droping down then to +12.67 then to -1.34  something along the line of that if it makes any sense??

And once the pump was changed  it was something along the lines of -0.3 then throttle +23.9 then drop straight back to -12.63 etc etc

Hope that makes sense to you or to someone that kind of knows what im on about hahaha

BUt in the end of it all we found out the Ecu was sending the turbo (such) pressure and the turbo was then regulating it blah blah

Offline LencTPH

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2016, 11:46:47 am »
I took my car to the VW dealer yesterdayfor incpection . They called me 5min ago that I have bad mehatronic on my DSG lol. Will ask for expanation when I pick my car up :smiley:
Edition 30

Offline Dan_FR

• Thank You
  • -Given: 132
  • -Receive: 189
  • wait...what?
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2016, 02:19:09 pm »
You have a nasty boost spike. How is that related to a bad mechatronics?
TFSI... Revo Stage 2+... . WMI.... VCDS HEX + CAN, MPPS, VAG Commander & VAG tacho - South Wales

Offline LencTPH

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2016, 03:45:08 pm »
Their explenation was that some valve in mech is not in a good condition and can't hold enough pressure, that's why I feel like Im losing power when accelerating. Maybe that's true, but I still dont know why is overboosting.

In fact I still think that overboosting is conected to that power loss that I fill.  :thinking:
Edition 30

Offline Dan_FR

• Thank You
  • -Given: 132
  • -Receive: 189
  • wait...what?
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2016, 06:12:57 pm »
Unless the DSG clutch is slipping then it won't be the cause.... what you are feeling is a big torque spike that the ecu then catches/corrects and backs off..
TFSI... Revo Stage 2+... . WMI.... VCDS HEX + CAN, MPPS, VAG Commander & VAG tacho - South Wales