Make a donation

Author Topic: Rupes foam pads Vs Megs microfiber  (Read 4394 times)

Offline K9

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 14
  • VW LifeStyle
    • Email
Rupes foam pads Vs Megs microfiber
« on: October 19, 2016, 03:56:02 pm »
as subject. Rupes foam pads vs megs microfiber finishing and cutting pads.

on Vag paints etc. post your reviews

Offline ChrisGT

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 40
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,106577.0.html
Re: Rupes foam pads Vs Megs microfiber
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2016, 12:22:21 am »
I usually use microfiber for cutting and foam for finishing. I use megs microfiber and lake country or hex logic foam pads. Can depend what compound or polish you're using too. It's a lot of personal choice to get the finish you want  :smiley:

I've used a few of the rupes foam and microfiber pads. I liked the microfiber pads and the white foam pads but didn't like the blue or green foam pads, again it's just personal preference. I would suggest getting one of each and see what you like using.

I use a megs g220v2 DA polisher but when I was using the rupes pads it was with a rupes 15 DA.

Hope that helps.

would highly recommend a paint depth gauge if you're doing a heavy cut on any paint  :happy2:

Chris
It wouldn't be fun if it was easy, I just wish it wasn't this much fun.

Offline K9

• Thank You
  • VW LifeStyle
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2016, 12:26:40 pm »
I usually use microfiber for cutting and foam for finishing. I use megs microfiber and lake country or hex logic foam pads. Can depend what compound or polish you're using too. It's a lot of personal choice to get the finish you want  :smiley:

I've used a few of the rupes foam and microfiber pads. I liked the microfiber pads and the white foam pads but didn't like the blue or green foam pads, again it's just personal preference. I would suggest getting one of each and see what you like using.

I use a megs g220v2 DA polisher but when I was using the rupes pads it was with a rupes 15 DA.

Hope that helps.

would highly recommend a paint depth gauge if you're doing a heavy cut on any paint  :happy2:

Chris
What paint depth gauge do you recommend?

Offline ChrisGT

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2016, 11:20:14 pm »
I bought this one a year or so ago and it's been great. Just check the calibration every now and then and it's usually fine or only a couple of microns out. It's also on sale right now! Not cheap but the way I looked at it is that it's cheaper than having a panel re-sprayed because you've burned through the paint  :happy2:

http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/polishing-accessories/paint-thickness-gauge/prod_781.html

Chris

Offline SurreyED30

• Thank You
  • -Given: 37
  • -Receive: 32
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2016, 01:58:42 pm »
I use Megs Mirco fibre for cutting and 3M or Menzerna foam pads for refining/finishing/sealant. depends on what products your using as well .

I have the same PDG as the link above, no complaints with it. 

I wouldn't worry to much about burning threw with a DA, its been shown many times on YouTube users with a DA and cutting pad being held in the same spot for over a minute with hardly any issues, Rotary is a different story..... that sh*t is like a chainsaw through butter :happy2: (slightly exaggerated)
Edition 30 build No:692 Revo stage 2 SOLD
Edition 30 build No:440 Stage 1 SOLD

Offline ChrisGT

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2016, 02:55:25 pm »
Every car will react slightly differently to different polish and pads etc, they always have different depths too  :smiley:

I've just been working on an 2014 audi and the paint was generally about 110-130 microns apart from the lower front wings and front doors where it was down to around 80 to 90 microns, lowest point was 77 microns, had I attacked that with microfiber pads and cutting compound, even with a DA I would risk going through the top coat. Generally anything less than 80 you need to be careful.  :happy2:

Chris

Offline K9

• Thank You
  • VW LifeStyle
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2016, 11:54:40 am »
anyone mind selling a used PDG  :happy2:

willni

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2017, 09:43:32 am »
Both a good, I use megs on softer paint and rupes on harder paint. Rupes have to be used on a rupes unfortunately and the coarser the pad the less product you put on blue eg only need 2 pea size drops on it. Megs are easier to work with but because they're microfibre do take a lot of energy to keep cleaning etc