Make a donation

Author Topic: Which stereo?  (Read 68907 times)

Offline Rado16v

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 6
    • Email
Re: Which stereo?
« Reply #45 on: January 26, 2017, 01:13:21 pm »
One small word of warning: I got a customs bill from TNT yesterday for £35: £15 for HMRC and an eyewatering £20 processing fee for TNT. I'm going to challenge the latter, as it's extortionate, and its not something I ever agreed to. Hopes aren't high, but I'll let you know how I got on. Anyhow, £130 for this HU is still a good price.

I think you'll be ok, call them and tell them exactly that. That you'll happily pay the VAT and cusomts but not the fee's as you never agreed to it. They should then send you an updated invoice.

Keep us posted.

Offline malc101

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #46 on: January 26, 2017, 10:55:28 pm »
Ouch that is a big fee. Like you say still a good price. Will look into more once my front end is fixed.

Sent from my ONE A2003 using Tapatalk

Offline spesh

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 5
« Reply #47 on: January 29, 2017, 11:12:25 am »
Been looking to change the stock stereo in my early ed30 and these 330's look like they will do everything I need.  I have a question though, do they support external microphones?  Aliexpress as usual has bugger all info.

Offline PatchySan

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 59
  • Gracie!
« Reply #48 on: January 29, 2017, 04:44:22 pm »
Been looking to change the stock stereo in my early ed30 and these 330's look like they will do everything I need.  I have a question though, do they support external microphones?  Aliexpress as usual has bugger all info.

Looking at the pinout diagram on the RCD 330 there's no mention of "TEL" on the connections so I would assume that it doesn't support external mics. But since the RCD 330 has one built in anyway I guess that the manufacturer felt that it wasn't necessary to include external mic connections on the unit.

Offline Bigjimknickers

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 55
  • -Receive: 9
    • Email
« Reply #49 on: January 29, 2017, 07:05:11 pm »
Glad I found this thread! That 330G looks amazing value. Think I'll be ordering one for sure.

Offline Bigjimknickers

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #50 on: January 29, 2017, 09:52:00 pm »
Excellent thank you, I will try and find that on aliexpress at the same time.

So RCD330g, canbus, fakra aerial and I should be fixed? :)

Pretty much all you need!  :smiley:

So mines a 2006, I'll need the canbus upgrade too then? Is that on aliexpress too?

Offline PatchySan

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • Gracie!
« Reply #51 on: January 29, 2017, 10:13:46 pm »
So mines a 2006, I'll need the canbus upgrade too then? Is that on aliexpress too?

Yes you will need to upgrade the Canbus Gateway from that year, they are about £20 uncoded from AliExpress so not too expensive. If you don't have VAGCOM consider getting it precoded from sellers here on the forum classifieds.

Offline majillionaire

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
« Reply #52 on: January 29, 2017, 10:28:11 pm »

Looking at the pinout diagram on the RCD 330 there's no mention of "TEL" on the connections so I would assume that it doesn't support external mics. But since the RCD 330 has one built in anyway I guess that the manufacturer felt that it wasn't necessary to include external mic connections on the unit.

I'm going to try out pins 6 and 12 based on this. Another diagram I found has "mic in +" on pin 1 and "mic in -" on pin 7, so that might be worth a go too.

Offline cossielee

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #53 on: January 30, 2017, 09:06:54 pm »
hi what would I need to fit the rcn210 unit to my 57 plate ed30 , my car has different controls to the golf in the youtube clip

cheers

Offline PatchySan

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • Gracie!
« Reply #54 on: January 30, 2017, 11:40:33 pm »
hi what would I need to fit the rcn210 unit to my 57 plate ed30 , my car has different controls to the golf in the youtube clip
cheers

You need the Quadlock to ISO adapter with CAN wires and the aerial FAKRA adapter. The extra CAN wires are used to tap power from the Climatronic which has similar wiring to the semi-auto system in the YouTube clip (orange-green and orange-brown wires), you need to do this to get the backlighting and bluetooth working. To feed the two wires to the adapter use these instructions on where to place them in.

It can be a bit fiddly so be patient, and once connected you shouldn't need to worry about battery drain (the RCN210 worked fine with my ancient Revision E gateway and had no draining issues under my experience). If the idea of tapping wires puts you off then you may as well consider getting the RCD 330 for a little bit more which is plug and play with the existing cable though you will need a Canbus upgrade if its before a Revision K.

Also to mention that if you have a MFSW then you may find that this will no longer work with the new stereo, you need to upgrade the steering module to at least a "CH" revision to regain the audio controls back.

Offline 19TW80

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #55 on: January 31, 2017, 01:07:11 am »
Hi Patchysan,

How do I know if my MFSW uses a CH module or not? Incidentally, I have the Highline cluster.

Thanks in advance.

Offline PatchySan

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • Gracie!
« Reply #56 on: January 31, 2017, 12:57:33 pm »
Hi Patchysan,

How do I know if my MFSW uses a CH module or not? Incidentally, I have the Highline cluster.

Thanks in advance.

If you have VCDS you can check the part number from the Steering Module but generally CH modules come from the MK6 Golf's so it's unlikely that it was fitted on the MK5 Golf from the factory.

Offline Bigjimknickers

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #57 on: January 31, 2017, 08:31:49 pm »

Yes you will need to upgrade the Canbus Gateway from that year, they are about £20 uncoded from AliExpress so not too expensive. If you don't have VAGCOM consider getting it precoded from sellers here on the forum classifieds.
Thanks for that, one more question I can't seem to find the answer too is that it looks like the 330G plus doesn't do sat nav? But when I look up one called 330G No name CarPlay, it looks like that one is an apple unit that does sat nav (albeit through the iPhone , but still on screen on the unit)

Offline PatchySan

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • Gracie!
« Reply #58 on: January 31, 2017, 11:15:48 pm »
Thanks for that, one more question I can't seem to find the answer too is that it looks like the 330G plus doesn't do sat nav? But when I look up one called 330G No name CarPlay, it looks like that one is an apple unit that does sat nav (albeit through the iPhone , but still on screen on the unit)

The RCD 330 doesn't have Satellite Navigation built-in but the more recent version of the RCD 330 Plus - the "No Name" version has Apple CarPlay integration which can run Apple Maps through the system for sat nav duties. Of course this does rely on your iPhone's GPS and mobile data for navigation but at least you don't have to worry about updating the system firmware for the latest maps as this should be updated free through the phone.

Offline majillionaire

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
« Reply #59 on: February 01, 2017, 12:05:19 am »
The RCD300G Plus (sold by Aidu on aliexpress) has mirrorlink for Android, which I believe is equivalent to CarPlay.