Make a donation

Author Topic: Which stereo?  (Read 68838 times)

Offline PatchySan

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 59
  • Gracie!
Re: Which stereo?
« Reply #120 on: June 04, 2018, 03:40:51 pm »
Quality post, thank you!

So I want Carplay, so have decided on the RCD330 6RD 035 187B. I found this on ebay, is this the exact one I need?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-6-5-MIB-RCD330-Plus-Original-CarPlay-Version-B-Stereo-6RD-035-187-B/252934531446?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&clk_rvr_id=1553703412607&rmvSB=true

Also, read a lot about updating the Canbus... I've got a 2008 57 plate GT TDI, obviously want to avoid battery drain, but I've no idea what canbus I need...? Do I need to get anything else, or is it literally that HU and the revised canbus? Thanks!

Yes that unit will work fine for Apple CarPlay, the one you listed is the Desay unit.

You need a 7N0 907 530 Canbus Gateway to be on the safe side, some earlier 1N0 907 530 gateways exceeding the letter L and not before should theoretically be safe too (though I haven't tried this). As yours was a MY2008 you may find it has the correct canbus gateway to begin with, easiest way is to do a scan with VAGCOM (VCDS) and see what version it reports back.

Alternatively you can buy that Quadlock emulator dongle I've listed earlier which apparently solves the draining problem without needing to change the gateway. It will also gain back the MK5 MFSW controls for the RCD330 too.

Offline Chesto18

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
« Reply #121 on: June 12, 2018, 08:21:40 am »
Bumping this. Just ordered myself a 330 plus with CarPlay thanks to this informative thread.

Car is an ‘08 plate GTi. Hoping I don’t need a canbus gateway.

Offline mcscoobs

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #122 on: June 12, 2018, 08:50:01 am »
Bumping this. Just ordered myself a 330 plus with CarPlay thanks to this informative thread.

Did you get one off eBay? There's so many on there, all ranging from £120 - £160... Just trying to understand if I'd need Desay or NoName (I'm an iPhone user) and everything I seem to read up on is regards Androids.

Offline Chesto18

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #123 on: June 12, 2018, 08:43:47 pm »

Did you get one off eBay? There's so many on there, all ranging from £120 - £160... Just trying to understand if I'd need Desay or NoName (I'm an iPhone user) and everything I seem to read up on is regards Androids.

Yup. £127 delivered. Here’s hoping.

Offline Ads22

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
    • Email
« Reply #124 on: June 24, 2018, 07:17:26 pm »
OUt of interest what is the sound quality like on these OEM upgraded units verses the original head unit. The RNS 330G plus looks attractive at the moment and interested to hear if the theres a difference.

Offline Chesto18

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #125 on: June 25, 2018, 08:30:01 am »
OUt of interest what is the sound quality like on these OEM upgraded units verses the original head unit. The RNS 330G plus looks attractive at the moment and interested to hear if the theres a difference.

My new 330 plus is definitely an improvement over the standard 300 if that helps.

Offline jgalla89

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #126 on: June 25, 2018, 10:40:12 am »
I currently have and MFD2 in my 2007 mk5 and im thinking of a 330 plus. Is it a straight swap with he cables, ive seen I will maybe need a canbus upgrade and maybe the Fakra radio aerial antenna adaptor.

anything else?

Offline Pashka

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 33
    • Email
« Reply #127 on: June 26, 2018, 03:57:18 pm »
I currently have and MFD2 in my 2007 mk5 and im thinking of a 330 plus. Is it a straight swap with he cables, ive seen I will maybe need a canbus upgrade and maybe the Fakra radio aerial antenna adaptor.

anything else?
you would need can gateway and arial adaptor.
06 1.9 TDI Owner. Retrofits: Bixenons, Drls, Full GT/GTI exterior, RNS510+MDI+Premium Bluetooth+RVC+OPS, Full Fis, MFSW, Cruise control, TPMS, Polar Fis, Boot pop up and more.. :)
Coding, diagnostic and retrofits in Leeds
Pre coded Can Gateways for battery drain issues with RNS510 and similar headunits
Premium Bluetooth modules/kit
RNS510 Service - codes, maps/firmware updates
Latest V8 West EU maps update service for RNS315

Offline jgalla89

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #128 on: June 27, 2018, 08:57:18 am »

anything else?

cool, wheres the best place to get a coded can gateway?

Offline Ads22

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #129 on: June 27, 2018, 11:20:13 pm »

anything else?

Would also be keen to know, ordered 330g plus with Fakra cable. Going to chance it with battery drain but would be good to know just incase. Am i also right in thinking you still get auto dim function, speed sensitive volume and radio station names?

Im also planning to add multi functions later aswell - mines manual 55 reg with Mid cluster. Would this need new steering module and slip ring. Im guessing you still keep radio station select controls?

Offline Chesto18

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #130 on: June 28, 2018, 12:08:57 am »

anything else?

Would also be keen to know, ordered 330g plus with Fakra cable. Going to chance it with battery drain but would be good to know just incase. Am i also right in thinking you still get auto dim function, speed sensitive volume and radio station names?

Im also planning to add multi functions later aswell - mines manual 55 reg with Mid cluster. Would this need new steering module and slip ring. Im guessing you still keep radio station select controls?

Auto dim yes, speed sensitivity yes (is an option in settings) radio station names no, not really. Mine primarily displays the frequency in the presets, but when you select that radio station it does show the station name in small letters under the frequency. But not off the preset list in mine unfortunately. And only on FM.

Offline Ads22

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #131 on: June 28, 2018, 09:10:54 am »
@Chesto18 Thanks. Sounds like its got some handy reatures. Am i also right in thinking you can also buy a cable that prevents battery drain that attached to the quadlock? Of course avoiding the need for a updated Canbus? I read this somewhere and Tried searching but not much luck.

Offline Chesto18

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #132 on: June 28, 2018, 09:32:54 am »
I’ve not heard of that. Mine is a 2008 so took my chances on battery drain and it’s been fine.

I’ve read other people just wiring the stereo straight to the ignition which will avoid the need to update the canbus.

Radio will work without the Farka cable, I ordered one but it’s not arrived and it’s been fine so far.

It’s a really good unit and CarPlay works well.

Offline The Red Warrior

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 32
    • Email
« Reply #133 on: July 01, 2018, 07:56:52 am »
@Chesto18 Thanks. Sounds like its got some handy reatures. Am i also right in thinking you can also buy a cable that prevents battery drain that attached to the quadlock? Of course avoiding the need for a updated Canbus? I read this somewhere and Tried searching but not much luck.

That's correct. I've posted about it and provided a link too. Try searching my posts and you should find it

Nevermind, I found it for you:

https://m.aliexpress.com/item/32847626802.html?trace=wwwdetail2mobilesitedetail&productId=32847626802&productSubject=BODENLA-RCD330-MIB-RCD510-Multifunction-Steering-Wheel-Button-Control-Simulator-Adapter-For-VW-Golf-5-6
« Last Edit: July 01, 2018, 07:59:55 am by The Red Warrior »

Offline Ads22

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #134 on: July 15, 2018, 01:09:19 am »

That's correct. I've posted about it and provided a link too. Try searching my posts and you should find it

Nevermind, I found it for you:

https://m.aliexpress.com/item/32847626802.html?trace=wwwdetail2mobilesitedetail&productId=32847626802&productSubject=BODENLA-RCD330-MIB-RCD510-Multifunction-Steering-Wheel-Button-Control-Simulator-Adapter-For-VW-Golf-5-6

Managed to fit my RCD330 today! Great unit and very good value. Unfortunately do seem to have battery drain so have ordered this connector. I dont have mfsw yet but plan to in future. Is there any specific installation requirements for the cable or is it just plug and play?