Make a donation

Author Topic: Black 3 door GTi  (Read 27044 times)

Offline Simon_2.0t

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 15
    • Email
Re: Black 3 door GTi
« Reply #45 on: February 15, 2017, 02:57:55 pm »
Good article and thorough - more importantly glad you've got it sorted!!  :happy2:

Thanks James

Offline Simon_2.0t

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #46 on: March 03, 2017, 02:28:41 pm »
Few updates.

As always with a new car I find myself looking in the classifieds, eBay etc for some new wheels. These came up on FB, plus fairly local. Guy selling didn't have spec for them (he was even unsure of PCD), but with a bit of research I took a gamble, they fit!

OZ Superturismo GTs
8x18
ET35
225/40/18 Toyos

From ad:

Was for five of them (hence one I have in the classifieds)

Got them home:

In need of some TLC but all straight, no leaks and only two have a few little marks. If the new one doesn't sell I may stick that on and sell the other cheaper.

Made a start on bringing them up. First a wash and some Wonder wheels treatment:

Was getting a bit chilly outside, so brought them in the house!!

Armed myself with this little lot:

Pray my wife doesn't see this!!!

Much better:

Ready to fit the next day:

Fronts do poke a little, I'm hoping with a subtle drop (maybe Eibach's) they will be draw in a bit. Plus front tyres will be due to be replaced in a few thous so might got for 215s

Only pic I have at the mo, will get some better soon:

Very pleased with them, plus drives and handles nice on them. I think once have a drop will be even happier. I prefer to do suspension first, but these came up first.

Si
« Last Edit: March 03, 2017, 02:39:21 pm by Simon_2.0t »

Offline Simon_2.0t

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #47 on: March 07, 2017, 03:58:18 pm »
Also made a start on tidying up the engine bay.

Picked up a new coolant expansion tank and a black VW cap (getting the black washer fluid one to match next).

Easy job to do, drained the fluid from old tank into a jug then fitted new one and refilled.

New vs old:

Whilst was out gave it all a clean, before:

After:

Old tank was due to go:

Putting back together:

Sprayed washer pipe bolt:

All back together:

Offline Sleapy

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
« Reply #48 on: March 12, 2017, 10:16:43 pm »
Looks smart on the OZ's! I've just got a set but realised my standard wheel bolts are too short. What bolts are you using? Unsure what length I need and whether I need tapered or radius?

Offline lukemk5gti

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 28
  • -Receive: 118
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,89715.msg907250.html#msg907250
« Reply #49 on: March 13, 2017, 09:18:59 am »
The coolant sensor is built into the expansion tank right?

Where did you pick it up from?

Offline Simon_2.0t

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #50 on: March 13, 2017, 01:22:00 pm »
Looks smart on the OZ's! I've just got a set but realised my standard wheel bolts are too short. What bolts are you using? Unsure what length I need and whether I need tapered or radius?

Cheers mate.

Can with the longer bolts plus lockers. Thread is 35mm long, radius seat.

Thanks

Offline Simon_2.0t

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #51 on: March 13, 2017, 01:22:44 pm »
The coolant sensor is built into the expansion tank right?

Where did you pick it up from?

Yes I believe the sensor for the level is in there.

GSF mate.

Si

Offline Sleapy

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
« Reply #52 on: March 13, 2017, 01:58:18 pm »

Cheers mate.

Thanks

Brilliant thanks for that! Was googling last night and couldn't find a definite answer so much appreciated! Will get some ordered.

Offline Vader

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #53 on: March 13, 2017, 02:33:34 pm »
It's refreshing to see someone more obsessed with cleaning and restoring worn out parts as me. Technicians at work think I'm mad for all the little bits I order from tps for the Golf.

I read your old thread on the red golf shortly after joining this group and found it very helpful sorting some issues on my own car. Looking forward to seeing this new project progress!

Offline Simon_2.0t

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #54 on: March 17, 2017, 10:54:50 am »

Cheers mate.

Thanks

Brilliant thanks for that! Was googling last night and couldn't find a definite answer so much appreciated! Will get some ordered.

No problems mate.

Offline Simon_2.0t

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #55 on: March 17, 2017, 10:56:27 am »
It's refreshing to see someone more obsessed with cleaning and restoring worn out parts as me. Technicians at work think I'm mad for all the little bits I order from tps for the Golf.

I read your old thread on the red golf shortly after joining this group and found it very helpful sorting some issues on my own car. Looking forward to seeing this new project progress!

Yes I'd rather get the car up to scratch first before modding.

Sad news about the old red one, spotted it on FB with no engine in!!! Last two owners neglected it a little  :sad1:

Guy who has it now sounds like bringing it back up to spec tho.

Offline aaron92

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 3
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,107138.0.html
« Reply #56 on: March 20, 2017, 08:29:18 pm »
Sorry to pick up on old post but the seals or rings whatever you want to call them on the cam chain cover for the vvt what part number did you use as when I replaced mine my local tps had no clue what I was on about and after some research I found some but the ones I took off were metal and the ones I put back were plastic ? I've never had any fault codes or prOblems as such but I'm sure my vvt doesn't always work as it should.
Time for an update guys, sorry for slow posts recently.

After getting the work done the other month I was getting the EML light up, nothing to do with the quality of James' work, far from it. Just one of those things, plus he went the extra mile to help diagnose.

So on collecting the car James had said was getting a P000A Bank 1 error, at first he felt was N205, so rather than just chucking a new one in he spent time cleaning old one for me, and we got the code cleared. Unfortunately it came on within 10 miles. So we felt a new N205 was the answer, another trip to TPS:

Also picked up a pair of new wiper blades whilst in there.

So went back to James, he fitted the new valve. Did a live test run with VDCS and all seemed good. Was a slight concern as the values did dropped once during the test run but thought was just new valve adjusting.

Got home all fine, but light came on next day (under 20 miles) Dam!! Back to the drawing board.

After a bit of research, head scratching and calling upon my brother. We felt a oil change and pick up pipe could be the answer. Also read up about the cam chain adjuster seals going. So... another trip back to TPS! This time I got invited round the other side and my own chair pulled up! Guys in there really great and always very helpful.

So I ordered:
6 litres of oil
One genuine oil filter
Two BOSCH oil filters (had 10 litres of 5/30 oil to do the two oil flushes)
Sump plug and washer
Dipstick
Oil pick up pipe
Pick up pipe seal
Sump sealant
Cam chain gasket
Brake vacuum housing gasket (correct one this time)
Three cam chain seals
Plus two engine cover rubbers (been off so much recently old ones starting to show signs of wear!!)

Then loaded all in the car and paid my brother a visit (front discs/pads still to fit!):

On the ramps:

Drained the old (well just over 1,000 mile!) oil and popped a BOSCH filter on, filled up and did a quick 10 mile test run to get oil flowing round. We was going to do an engine flush, but heard mixed reviews on this so went for this option. We then drain oil and fitted the second BOSCH filter and run up again.

Can see her filter on right after first change and only 10 miles, one on left was the second so defiantly clearing it up:

Plus oil coming out of second change much clearer (the first one was still black after only 10 miles):

Time to drop the sump now:

All bolts in same ordered:

Sump came of nice and easy (think test runs helped). Oil pick up pipe was in a bit of a mess, plus a lot of debris in it and the bottom of sump:

Washed old pick up pipe out just to see what crude was in there:

New vs old:

Cleaning sump out:

Much better:

Running small bead on new sealant:

All bolts torqued up to factory settings:

Gave everything a little clean under there:

Then whilst the sealant was setting before putting good oil in, started to take the cam chain housing off. Ended up taking fuel pump, battery, turbo heat shield all off so as to make room, plus make sure nice and lined up when refitting.

Once we took the cam chain housing off, one of the seals was broken in the bottom of it, so 100% my issue. At last problem solved!!

New chain and tensioner all perfect:

Removed old seals:

New ones fitted:

All back together:

Plus I can report after 70 miles now no EML light!! Yes. Sorted. So pleased to get done. Plus if anyone else thinking of doing or getting cam chain done replace those seals, only £30

Si

Offline doylebros

• Thank You
  • -Given: 44
  • -Receive: 309

Offline Simon_2.0t

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #58 on: March 23, 2017, 02:41:22 pm »
I'll dig out the part number mate.

Not listed as a repair for the mk5 but the three rings I did change fix the issue.

Si

Offline SurreyED30

• Thank You
  • -Given: 37
  • -Receive: 32
« Reply #59 on: July 01, 2017, 05:48:46 pm »
Hi mate

How are you? Any updates with your GTi?

Hope your well bud :happy2:

Jake