Make a donation

Author Topic: Is Facebook killing off the traditional forums?  (Read 18485 times)

Offline r5gtt

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 342
  • -Receive: 334
Re: Is Facebook killing off the traditional forums?
« Reply #30 on: November 23, 2016, 10:44:49 pm »
This is still the first place I check when I fire up the interweb..... :love:

The forums (especially this one) are still the place for knowledge/discussion on thier particluar subject. Many google searches on specific information (related to the Mk5 platform etc etc) still brings you back here due to that depth of knowledge.......you don't get that with Facebook.  :angry015:

Personnally I find the Mk5 Facebook groups can be very childish but that's to be expected as the cars are now cheap and kids can afford to buy them now. True, if you're after a quick answer and can't be arsed (or don't know how to navigate a forum's library) then you're at the right place.

Most importantly (or more importantly) this forum, in particular, is about the people as much as the information. Some great peeps on here that I just don't find on Faceache, snapcrap, instash*t or twatter.

Ohh and I'm old and I'm stuck in my ways....ill be here (still pontificating) when the forum closes the doors and turn off lights.

:happy2:
you're not the only one as I've been doing that ever since joining this forum just look at my post count   :signLOL:

Facebook is definitely full of immature people that's for sure and the childishness will always be there although you won't see it as much here because it's a more slow paced send and question and reply etc and as for the young guns lol it's just pathetic with we want our own groups and crap like that. Snapcrap and twatter  :signLOL:

Offline dronners

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 34
« Reply #31 on: November 24, 2016, 06:56:31 pm »
i'm a moderator on a aimed at the ford fiesta since thats what my last 2 cars were..  we've gone from last year having one the the biggest club stands at the big event of the year "ford Fair"  to this year i dont think we even bothered.   maybe 1 or 2 posts a day on the forum.. its been literally destroyed by the facebook groups specially since the audience for that car are all usually 17-21 who are most proficient with facebook

Offline stuart-88

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 21
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,101197.0.html
« Reply #32 on: November 25, 2016, 11:42:26 pm »
The laziness of people really p*ss me off on the Facebook groups now. No one wants to research things or find out for themselves. The same questions get asked over and over again, when they could be answered within a minute after a little search.

'Are my plates illegal'
'What oil should I use'
'What are the best bulbs to use'
'What coilovers should I get'
Etc etc...

F***ck off. That's all my Facebook feed is full of. I'll stop moaning now.

Instagram: stu_nc88

Offline bonelorry

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 72
  • -Receive: 44
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: November 26, 2016, 05:37:12 pm »
Not for me, I go on the FB group pages but and I say this with caution there are too many cars and people that are not to my taste. I see less genuine car enthusiasts and more daft questions and badly modified examples.

I enjoy the forum and will continue to use it.

Offline r5gtt

• Thank You
« Reply #34 on: November 26, 2016, 09:23:24 pm »
I also use FB but have realised even the mature people can be daft as bleep and there's been so much crap going on with FB since I joined and will always prefer Mk5golfgtiforum by far  :love:

Offline ducman77

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 59
  • -Receive: 54
« Reply #35 on: November 26, 2016, 09:37:02 pm »
I also use FB but have realised even the mature people can be daft as bleep and there's been so much crap going on with FB since I joined and will always prefer Mk5golfgtiforum by far  :love:

^^ exactly what he said!! It's a useful resource for some things. But it's not a patch on the legend that is www.mk5golfgti.co.uk!!!

Offline rashg60

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 41
« Reply #36 on: November 26, 2016, 09:55:45 pm »
I cannot compare as I am not a FB user.

However, out of all the forums I have used (owning different cars along the way), this forum is by far the best one to use. I use it daily and it has been a great base of knowledge for me (I virtually knew nothing about the MK5 before purchase), but feel like a little expert now, armed with knowledge gathered from this forum. It has even encouraged me to start doing the odd little job on the car here and there.

FB does not seem like my cup of tea. I will continue to use civilised/mature platforms, such as this forum and others like it.

I do not have a problem with people using FB, as long as they can gain what they require from it. If you find it childish/annoying, then move away/do not correspond. I'm sure there will be areas of it which will be useful, i.e. someone mentioned 'bargains to be had'.

Whatever platform you utilise, keep smiling and enjoy the GTI..........
Previous motors (in order of succession since 1994):-

VW Golf MK2 GTi 8v
Peugeot 205 1.9 GTi
VW Corrado G60 Supercharged
Volvo C70 2.0 Turbo Convertible
Audi TT MK1 1.8T quattro (225)
Mercedes CLS 320 V6
Audi TT MK1 3.2 V6 Quattro
Audi A4 Convertible 1.8T Quattro
VW Golf MK5 GTi 2.0 Turbo

Offline Bobby

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 1
  • SIX SIX SIX
« Reply #37 on: November 26, 2016, 10:14:07 pm »
Social media is killing the Forums, only a few die hard dubbers still remain  :happy2:

And FB, well, from quite a lot of the stories that I've heard / hear it's like an 'agony aunt' for quite a lot of people not to mention people who more or less put up their entire life stories on there, but only if they knew the truth about where all the data collected goes and how it gets used!!

I just like to sit back and enjoy the show hence the massive post count  :popcornsoda:
« Last Edit: November 26, 2016, 10:17:06 pm by Bobby »

Offline stuart-88

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 21
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,101197.0.html
« Reply #38 on: November 26, 2016, 10:26:18 pm »
Social media is killing the Forums, only a few die hard dubbers still remain  :happy2:

And FB, well, from quite a lot of the stories that I've heard / hear it's like an 'agony aunt' for quite a lot of people not to mention people who more or less put up their entire life stories on there, but only if they knew the truth about where all the data collected goes and how it gets used!!

I just like to sit back and enjoy the show hence the massive post count  :popcornsoda:

29 posts in 7 years. Jeez do you ever shut the hell up?!  :signLOL:

Instagram: stu_nc88

Offline Bobby

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 1
  • SIX SIX SIX
« Reply #39 on: November 26, 2016, 11:37:59 pm »
29 posts in 7 years. Jeez do you ever shut the hell up?!  :signLOL:

Sorry Stu, but I'm limited to only 4.14285714 posts per year, one more then none till 26/11/2017 but I'm going to save my last post specifically for you   :notworthy:

Offline r5gtt

• Thank You
« Reply #40 on: November 27, 2016, 01:14:00 am »
 :signLOL:

Offline Rossimac

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 78
  • -Receive: 33
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,90767.0.html
« Reply #41 on: November 27, 2016, 01:21:43 am »
As most have said, forums are for more articulated responses.

I've joined a few Facebook groups over here in Northern Ireland (in fact, also a BIG local forum which has the mentality of a FB group...) and they all feel very dumb and boring to me. As if someone's always trying to get a funny comment in, or put others down just to make themselves look better.

The biggest thing that dates this forum for me are the rather 2003 emoticons/emojis. Maybe retire them and bring in WhatsApp-esque icons as standard?

Tapatalk sucks; the site should instead try to be entirely responsive to the device used I think. I have used my mobile browser to great effect on my Nexus 5 for 2.5 years, but since upgrading to the Google Pixel recently, things have been misaligned, causing my experience to be reduced and therefore I don't bother as much to check in on my phone during the day.

I'm mostly a lurker though and am not a "superstar" contributor, so perhaps my opinion should be taken as a "reader".

Also, I love forums like OcUK, which places a height restriction on a user's signature - having to scroll through someone's large signature repeatedly in a post is tiresome sometimes. Thankfully most don't have a signature on this forum!
« Last Edit: November 27, 2016, 01:24:35 am by Rossimac »

Offline Tfsi_Mike

• Thank You
  • -Given: 241
  • -Receive: 309
  • Go Large or Go Home
    • Tfsi Mikes Money Pit AKS / TTE / RTech St2+ Cupra
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,32721.msg402587.html#msg402587
« Reply #42 on: November 27, 2016, 07:44:03 am »
I'm sure there is a rule on sig heights.

We have a suggestions section too.  @dazza  has made quite a few improvements over the last 12 months or so  :congrats:

Offline dazza

• Admin
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 90
  • -Receive: 190
  • Coding Boffin
    • Email
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=0ckmq4ah5gcomhrkn6uell3980&/topic,90967.msg917089.html#msg917089
« Reply #43 on: November 27, 2016, 11:10:37 am »
I think i'm the only person that does not use Facebook. As always i'm open to suggestions on features to add.

Not been posting much lately as don't have much cash to spend on the car. But i am still reading.

05 | Tornado Red | DSG

Offline Tfsi_Mike

• Thank You
  • -Given: 241
  • -Receive: 309
  • Go Large or Go Home
    • Tfsi Mikes Money Pit AKS / TTE / RTech St2+ Cupra
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,32721.msg402587.html#msg402587
« Reply #44 on: November 27, 2016, 11:55:07 am »
I think i'm the only person that does not use Facebook. As always i'm open to suggestions on features to add.

Not been posting much lately as don't have much cash to spend on the car. But i am still reading.

I feel like I'll never have the cash for the next couple of things I need / want to do to the car :-(